Show us your Car Topper

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
I'm thinking of upgrading my car topper so I’d love to see some pics of what others have. I currently have a 3.49 Stacer Proline Car Topper, this little rig is purpose built as a car topper by Stacer and it only weighs 50kg. It is a great little tinny nice and light however it doesn't have a lot of freeboard and when the wind picks up this can be a problem.

I am currently considering the 319 Stacer Sea Sprite (there is one at my local boat yard which I am going to have a look at next week) it is roughly 280mm deeper than my current rig which will give me the extra freeboard I am after but it is also roughly 270mm shorter, this may be an issue but I won’t know till I see one in the flesh. At 8kgs heavier than my current boat the weight will not be an issue.

I have a 2010 Mitsubishi Pajero with factory roof rails, the Pajero has a max rating of 100kgs on the roof as gazetted by Mitsubishi. To carry the tinny on the roof I have two Rhino Rack 1260mm Vortex roof bars attached to the roof rails and I then attach a Rhino Rack Side Boat Loader to these for the loading and unloading of the tinny.

With this in mind I need to take away 5 odd kgs for the two roof bars the SBL sits on and 25kgs for the SBL itself from the 100kgs, so I then have between 65-70kgs to play with to stay within the 100kg max roof limit. Of course staying within the weight Mitsubishi has gazetted keeps me legal which keeps me insured should the need arise.

It would be great to see pics of the way other people carry their car toppers. Things like lengths and weights if available would also be great to cross reference, this thread if it takes off could become very handy for others who are considering setting up a car topper in the future.

20150301_130310.jpg
20150319_084529.jpg
P3080466.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol and skippy

Swerve

Mar 26, 2014
Sydney
I once had a 3.3m tinnie, I would place on my roof, 2 of us to lift it up. How hard is your boat loader ? one man job ? any photos showing how hard easy in real life it is ?

I had the adds for those things as they always make it look so easy.

Reactions: Axl

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
I once had a 3.3m tinnie, I would place on my roof, 2 of us to lift it up. How hard is your boat loader ? one man job ? any photos showing how hard easy in real life it is ?

I had the adds for those things as they always make it look so easy.

Hi @Swerve I don't have any photos mate but the the Rhino Rack Side Boat Loader is a one man job, I can lift it on and of the Pajero by myself and it has a worm drive system that you put a 18V battery drill onto and bingo you are away. I need to remove it after each adventure as the Pajero wont fit under my house with it in place.

This is a good clip,

Reactions: bigcol

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
View attachment 45651 View attachment 45652 View attachment 45653 View attachment 45654 From roof racks to water in 10 mins.
About 30kg and fits between the two push bikes when we take them.
10 year warranty too.

Thanks @Turtle I have seen several of these in my travel's, they are an excellent weight and space saving item. The only thing that stoped me getting one when I originally wanted to start carrying a boat with me was the price. But when I look back now at the money I have spent on boat loaders and tinnies I could have afforded one after all.

Reactions: bigcol and WHHEMI

Pauly

Aug 25, 2013
A couple of years ago we bought a Quintrex 350 dart as we had outgrown our canoe...
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Handles the chop brilliantly being nice and deep. Did want to get the car topper version but very glad we were recommended the 350 dart as with Two adults, two kids (7&9)on board and me thinking I'm on a jet ski I would have sunk it by now:o
Length 3.64m
Width 1.49m
Depth. .82m
Weight 78kg
1.6mm thick Aly
Run a 15hp Suzuki 2stroke spinning a 10" pitch
image.jpeg
We also have the rhino side loader which is fantastic. A lot of the time we stay hooked up to the van so the side loader really suited us. Never planned to get a loader but a mates dad popped in to camp with one on and I saw how good a bit of kit it was.
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Made a trolley up to clamp the outboard to , it has wheels at both ends to make it easier to load it in the ute. Sort of a simple version of some on the market.
image.jpeg
:bounce:Always puts a smile on my dial!!!

Tonykarter15

Jan 23, 2015
Central Coast
Hi @Swerve I don't have any photos mate but the the Rhino Rack Side Boat Loader is a one man job, I can lift it on and of the Pajero by myself and it has a worm drive system that you put a 18V battery drill onto and bingo you are away. I need to remove it after each adventure as the Pajero wont fit under my house with it in place.

This is a good clip,
I also have a Rhino boat loader- a brilliant thing to lift your boat on the roof. it really is a one person job.
I'm thinking of upgrading my car topper so I’d love to see some pics of what others have. I currently have a 3.49 Stacer Proline Car Topper, this little rig is purpose built as a car topper by Stacer and it only weighs 50kg. It is a great little tinny nice and light however it doesn't have a lot of freeboard and when the wind picks up this can be a problem.

I am currently considering the 319 Stacer Sea Sprite (there is one at my local boat yard which I am going to have a look at next week) it is roughly 280mm deeper than my current rig which will give me the extra freeboard I am after but it is also roughly 270mm shorter, this may be an issue but I won’t know till I see one in the flesh. At 8kgs heavier than my current boat the weight will not be an issue.

I have a 2010 Mitsubishi Pajero with factory roof rails, the Pajero has a max rating of 100kgs on the roof as gazetted by Mitsubishi. To carry the tinny on the roof I have two Rhino Rack 1260mm Vortex roof bars attached to the roof rails and I then attach a Rhino Rack Side Boat Loader to these for the loading and unloading of the tinny.

With this in mind I need to take away 5 odd kgs for the two roof bars the SBL sits on and 25kgs for the SBL itself from the 100kgs, so I then have between 65-70kgs to play with to stay within the 100kg max roof limit. Of course staying within the weight Mitsubishi has gazetted keeps me legal which keeps me insured should the need arise.

It would be great to see pics of the way other people carry their car toppers. Things like lengths and weights if available would also be great to cross reference, this thread if it takes off could become very handy for others who are considering setting up a car topper in the future.

View attachment 45641 View attachment 45642 View attachment 45643

i had the same roof calculations on my Prado with the roof capacity being 100kg. But for a Toyota, the roof rails can't take more then 80kg. Check with Mitsubishi that they didn't do the same. With the Prado, you actually have to take the roof rails off the car to get the additional 20kg roof capacity.

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
i had the same roof calculations on my Prado with the roof capacity being 100kg. But for a Toyota, the roof rails can't take more then 80kg. Check with Mitsubishi that they didn't do the same. With the Prado, you actually have to take the roof rails off the car to get the additional 20kg roof capacity.

I must admit I haven't read the manual for the Pajero but from the info I have gotten off of the Pajero forum the later models are rated at 100kgs on the factory rails where as the earlier models weren't.

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
I went down to my local boat yard and had a look at the 3.19 Stacer Sea Sprite as I mentioned I would and fortunately they had my current 3.49 standing up beside a 3.19.

looking at the room I am going to loose length wise I am going to stick with my 3.49 Stacer Proline Car Topper for now and deal with the lack of freeboard as conditions require as @Tonykarter15 has suggested above.

3.19 on the left and 3.49 on the right
20161130_073749.jpg

Reactions: G Daddy

Tonykarter15

Jan 23, 2015
Central Coast
I went down to my local boat yard and had a look at the 3.19 Stacer Sea Sprite as I mentioned I would and fortunately they had my current 3.49 standing up beside a 3.19.

looking at the room I am going to loose length wise I am going to stick with my 3.49 Stacer Proline Car Topper for now and deal with the lack of freeboard as conditions require as @Tonykarter15 has suggested above.

3.19 on the left and 3.49 on the right
View attachment 46522
it is interesting looking at the two side by side. your Stacer car topper is the same hull as my Quintrex as they are both made out of the same factory by Telwater. It is really interesting to see how much chop they can go through and my trick I have found is to ensure the nose is high when you are either going into or with the chop.

Reactions: G Daddy

JaycoQ

Jan 7, 2013
Highton, Geelong, Vic
Here's a pic of mine. Made locally in Geelong and all fully welded. weighs in at 75kg. Sides are nice and deep, good angle at the nose and flattens off towards the rear. Wouldn't recommend carrying one on a dual cab, the rivets on the roof tracks began to loosen, so have now set up the Cruiser with 4 bars and the homemade roller assembly you see in the pic.
boat.jpg

Reactions: Axl