QLD Sharp Park / Sharp Bend - Canungra

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hi All

We recently had a stay booked at Sharp Park or some call it Sharp Bend at Canungra. We had booked for 4 sites over 2 nights however 2 of the bookings fell through from our end. We had previously driven through the park and it looked beautiful.

We arrived before midday on check in day. There was a 17 year old boy running the park as the lady who would be employed to manage the park was not there. He advised us that they had no booking for us on their board but we could go down and take a camp spot anywhere down near the river / creek that was not signed.

We drove down to the waters edge. I must say, its a very nice looking park. I can't confirm the amenities as we did not stay there long enough to use them.

We scoured the the spots down there and found two spots where we were unable to see any signage of the park management holding reserved spots. We began to setup when one in our group noticed a small piece of paper no bigger than an envelope stuck in a tree behind the branches in front of it. This paper had a surname on it. We discussed this with the teenager running the park and he could not offer those sites. The only other site there that would have had any shade was under a tree in the middle of the park. The boy advised "oh no you can't go there as we have friends coming and they are going to stay there". I fail to see if our whole group had actually shown up how they would have had enough room for all of us??
So we decided to pack up our kit and move on, back to Canungra Showgrounds.

We contacted the council and I attach the full email trail (minus email addresses and dates) below for you to make your own decision.

Honestly, with how close the show grounds are and the fact that they have showers and an insignificant price differential, i would not bother staying at this park.

Cheers
Ants

Begin forwarded message:From: Hugh Dunne <hugh.d@scenicrim.qld.gov.au>
Date:
To:
Cc: Michael Wallace <michael.w@scenicrim.qld.gov.au>
Subject: FW: Attention Michael Wallace,

As requested, I have looked into this matter. While I agree that no further Council action is warranted, I accept that the email sent to you could be interpreted that Council has deemed your complaint vexatious or frivolous.

This is not correct. While the campsite managers have provided Council with an adequate explanation of the matter, they have been reminded of their responsibilities in relation to both signage and supervision.

I have requested Michael contact you to further clarify any concerns you may have.

Regards

Hugh

Sent:
To: Michael Wallace
Subject: Re: Attention Michael Wallace

So Michael you are calling all of us who was there at the time liars !!!!! As for the boy I didn't ask him his age I said he was about 14 or 15 when I spoke to you on the phone, Michael if this is the way you deal with complaints and remember the lady manager wasn't there so you only have the boys answers so Michael we as in everyone I know that has caravans and there's a lot pluses the forums will hear about your response to me and don't expect to ever see me my group in one of your councils aged parks again, This may go over your head Michael.

Regards, xxxxxxx. Sent from my iPhone

O nxxxxxx, "Michael Wallace" <michael.w@scenicrim.qld.gov.au> wrote:

Mr Xxxxx

Council has now received a response from the Park Mangers to relation your concerns.

Council is informed the male person you refer is actually 17 years of age. A copy of the Park signage has been provided for your information. Council deems the signage is suitable and adequate for the needs of the camping grounds.

As the Park Managers have provided a different version of events your complaint has not been able to be substantiated.

Regards

Michael Wallace

Property Management

Scenic Rim Regional Council

82 Brisbane St (PO Box 25)

BEAUDESERT QLD 4285

PH: (07) 5540 5111

Email: mail@scenicrim.qld.gov.au

Sent: xxxxxxxx
To: Scenic Rim Regional Council Mail
Subject: Attention Michael Wallace

Hi Michael,

As per our telephone conversation this morning Re:- Sharp Bend Camping Ground Management complaint and as requested by yourself I am making a written complaint to the council.

On xxxxxxxxx 2014 I phoned Sharp bend Camping Ground to book in 3 caravans and a camper trailer for the xth, xth, xth I spoke to a lady by the name of Gail. Gail asked me to text the info to her mobile and I did and she responded with “Great see you then”

On arrival at the camping ground I was greeted by a young boy of about 14 or 15 years of age and told him of our booking and my name as it was booked in my name, he informed that my name was not on the booking board (a bit of tin nailed to a tree) in the middle of the driveway, I asked where the lady was and he said she wasn’t here and we could park anywhere down by the river if we chose to providing there wasn’t a sign with a name on it but not under the willow trees as they had friends coming for the weekend and they were going there, so we drove down to the river found a spot and we couldn’t find any signs with names and began to park and unhook the vans, I decided to walk up to the office just to check if that spot was ok and was greeted by the young boy again and when I asked if the lady was back so I could pay he informed me she would not be returning for hours he then informed me that where we were parked was taken for the weekend and there should be signs there, I didn’t see any signs with names on it so when I returned to the vans we had another look and there was a strip of plastic about 10 inch long x 3 inch wide with a name written on it with black niko on a tree branch behind foliage so you could have missed it as a piece of rubbish.

I think the way the camping is run by management is very poor, to leave a young boy on sight to direct campers is unacceptable and for the manager to be off sight for such a long period leaving a boy to do her job is also unacceptable. I returned to the vans and we hooked up and left never to return again or give any sort of recommendation to go there under the current management.

When I made the booking I was not advised or given the choice of where I wanted to camp. I assumed it would be like other council run parks where you make a booking and pick a spot on arrival making it fair for everyone. Given that the booking was never noted when I made it and no spots were available to accommodate us on our arrival due to all spaces along the river being prebooked I believe this should be addressed.

Michael what you do with this complaint is up to you, as I explained to you this morning If the council is not informed of this sort of unacceptable management you don’t know so you cannot action it.

I would appreciate it if you do not forward my email details to the management I am happy for my name to be disclosed but no other personal details.

Not real happy from my end and major “F” for FAIL

Regards,

xxxxxxxx

<image001.png>

<image002.jpg>

This email and any attachments are confidential and may be legally privileged or protected from disclosure and copyright. If you are not the intended recipient of this message you must not use, disclose, retain, copy, forward, reproduce, disseminate or distribute this message or any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient please email the sender or notify Scenic Rim Regional Council and delete this message and any attachment from your system. Any views expressed in this email transmission may represent those of the individual sender and may include information that has not been approved by Scenic Rim Regional Council. The Council will not be responsible for any reliance upon personal views or information not approved by Scenic Rim Regional Council.

Scenic Rim Regional Council advises that this email and any attachments should be scanned to detect viruses and accepts no liability for loss or damage resulting from the use of any attached files.

<mime-attachment>

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
We have heard of the same thing before. I stayed down the road at Stinson's memorial park with my 7 yr old. It is a great spot with proper flushing toilets.

Reactions: Antman