Old & Moved Selling and Internet scams

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hi all,

I have a small story to tell that I want anyone trying to sell their vans to be aware of.
Last night I put my expanda up for sale on the trading post. At 2 in the morning I get a text message from a phone number in the US.

The contents of the text are important because I believe the details never change. Even the spelling mistakes!!

Text message is received was:
"is your carabvan on advert still for sale,kindly email me the price &condition on johnbartt at hotmail.com for a better discussion"

I emailed the guy and the transcript of that email has been attached at the end of this post below.
After some Internet searching we found this thread on the whirlpool site.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1388879

I think the important thing to highlight here is even Paypal can get you into problems even though it sounds secure. And more importantly, even a local service such as trading post is being targeted by these international scammers.
I have reported the issue to the AFP or www.scamwatch.gov.au.
I have been advised to cease emails and move on.

Read the email conversation between myself and this scammer from bottom up.

Email conversation starts here.

I stay in Darwin and im paying in AUD,so all i just need you to do*is to mail me your PayPal email so that i can arrange payment now..Thanks
> Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 09:03:01 +1100
> Subject: Re: Caravan
> From:
> To: johnbartt@hotmail.com
>
> One more point, the amount is Australian dollars.
> I am assuming you are from a different country.
> If you are paying in a different currency then can I suggest using the
> currency converter on xe.com?
>
>
> On 1/27/12, John Bart <johnbartt@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > i am buying it as a gift for my dad and i am at sea at the moment as i am a
> > marine engineer,due to the nature of my work cos i work mainly offshore and
> > ive also been try to get reach out with you but due to bad weather over and
> > i can only get reach to our base only,so please kindly bear with me,phone
> > calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time
> > to check this advert and send you an email regarding it.All i just need you
> > to do is to mail me your PayPal email so that i can make payment now..
> > Thanks.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > From:
> > Subject: Re: Caravan
> > Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 08:53:19 +1100
> > To: johnbartt@hotmail.com
> >
> >
> >
> > Can I call you to discuss this?
> > Please understand that I have never had this happen to me before so I am
> > concerned.
> > Unfortunately I cannot take this off the market till payment has been made.
> > I am sure a quick phone call should clear things up in my mind.
> >
> > Brad
> >
> >
> >
> > On 27/01/2012, at 7:28 AM, John Bart <johnbartt@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Thanks for your reply asap over my request,im also willing to offer you
> > $38,900 as my offer cos i ve so much interest in it,i will be very glad if
> > it can be sell to me and my offer been considered,any offer comes after just
> > tell/inform them that it has been sold.i will not be able to come for an
> > inspection as ive my private pick-up agent who will be coming for the
> > pick-up and inspection of it cos im a very busy type who work long hours
> > everyday,ive gone through the advert,im ok and satisfied with it,so i think
> > that shouldnt be a problem so you dont have to be worried about that.
> > Sorry i will be paying you via the fastest,secure and easier way to pay
> > online{paypal}If you don't have a paypal account, you can easily set up
> > one...log on to www.paypal.com and sign up. its very easy....so after
> > payment have been completed you can release it as my agent will be coming
> > for pickup ..so no shipping included...
> >
> >
> >
> >> Subject: Caravan
> >> From:
> >> Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 06:45:17 +1100
> >> To: johnbartt@hotmail.com
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> You sent me a text message regarding my caravan for sale.
> >> Price is 38,500.00. The condition of van is excellent.
> >>
> >> Let me know what else you need to know.
> >>
> >> Brad

linrod

Jan 3, 2012
Inverloch, Victoria
We had the exact same thing. First contact was via text them all other was by email.
We where offered more than asking price and also they tried to tell us they had deposited it via paypal and added an extra $2000.
Here is the catch...........They said that paypal wouldn't show the funds as recieved until I forwarded the extra $2000 to cover the transportation fees
to a Greater WESTERN UNION ACOOUNT........mmmmmmmm yeah right. I sent a email back with a smiling face and a little letter saying nice try, you nearly got me

cancan

Sep 26, 2011
Manly; Brisbane
this is a very popular scam. I was at a bbq a while back at a friends place who is in the fraud squad. She rattled off some numbers of how successful these scams are, cant remember the numbers now but they are making a fortune and the numbers are not slowing down at all.
I treat everything as a scam and if it doesnt ring true chances are its not....woops sorry talking politics now

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
Unbelievable Brad.

I , just three days ago have put my 6.5 mtr Plate ally boat up for sale on Gumtree.com
Within 1 day I got almost to the T , the exact same text on my mobile asking what is my lowest offer. I sent back text saying $2000 less than the figure on gumtree & he sent back I will buy it & to get Pay Pal account for money changeover & to let him know asap he was in the Military with a crazy boss & could not get time of to inspect but once the transaction was done he would send his transport mob to pick up boat.

Mate I was excited until my wise missus come in & rang PayPal & they said its a SCAM !
Well I was shatterd to say the least.
PayPal went on to say that any figure over $10,000 is most likely a scam. So watch out peoples trying to sell on the net.

Cheers,
One very dissapointed Doggy.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I've had that twice so now as soon as there is mention of an "agent" or someone else to inspect, the flags go up and a few sharp emails are exchanged. Mongrels are always trying to think up ways to rip us off. :caked:

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Yeah, same message when trying to sell the camper.
The old adage came to mind "if it sounds too good to be true, usually it is...." Made it to the second response before I backed away

It was the same 'Marine Engineer' working/living off-shore, wanting to buy it for his dad. It's a shame his Dad hasn't got his gift yet:lol:

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I helped a mated set up an add on Trading Post just before Christmas for a X-Trail he's selling, within 1hr of it going online he received the first "SCAM" Text, yep the details were very similar.

He reported straight to Trading post next day,

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
In our situation we made contact with Paypal to determine how secure the transaction would be and if we were covered. They immediately said yes. How wrong that statement could have turned out to be.

Feb 1, 2012
Spotted a sale on EBay today. 2007 Jayco bells and whistles $5100.00. Talked about not contacting them via eBay but through their private email. Was most certainly a scam, reported it to EBay and the listing has been removed.

Jenko67

Feb 6, 2012
Brisbane
best thing to do is just ignore the sms like I have done recently with the sale of my campers trailer and a couple of cars.... The dodgy scam stands out like dogs ......

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
The more we see these the more obvious they are becoming. It's good to put them up as a post to advise the unwary.

I also had SMS & Email scammers contact me when I was selling my Eagle making ridiculous offers......... If it's too good to be true then it probably is !

Cheers ,

Paul

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
The more we see these the more obvious they are becoming. It's good to put them up as a post to advise the unwary.

Yep this was the main reason why I started this post. Surely it makes it harder for these scammers if people are educated and aware of what to look out for. I was hoping that a post like this continues on and is updated with the latest set of scams that we come across so as to minimize the risk for others.

bully66672

Jun 30, 2011
Melbourne
These scammers are bottom feeding rats.
I,d like to see them locked up with some big dude named Bubba for a bit of education on how to conduct yourself.
Federal police are inundated with this type of scamming.