17' Series Seat ripped

Buch

Nov 4, 2015
Perth, WA
Not sure how (our bouncy 2 year old is getting the blame) but we have a rip in the seat fabric. This is on the bottom section were there is a join. Anyone had this happen before?
Will probably have to get both seat bottoms reapolstered but might also check and see what the replacement cost would be from Jayco or who ever they have them made from.

AD8F7DBD-99BB-45F7-9BA9-1DC01931DAEC.jpeg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Not sure how (our bouncy 2 year old is getting the blame) but we have a rip in the seat fabric. This is on the bottom section were there is a join. Anyone had this happen before?
Will probably have to get both seat bottoms reapolstered but might also check and see what the replacement cost would be from Jayco or who ever they have them made from.
I had the same issue. The front thigh cushion (which is where the split is coming apart) is sewn to the front of the larger seat pad, ie a smaller cushion cover with seperate foam insert attached to a larger cushion cover with its likewise seperate foam insert That weak join, in our van at least, is almost directly over the couch base lead edge which provides a perfect pivot/stress point to ensure the 2 pads are very unlikely to stay together. Total design stupidity with inbuilt stress points.

Blackmans do Jayco's leather couches, but I believe they do the cloth in-house at the factory

I was lucky enough to have been living in the van so the cushions got a daily workout and the seams opened up during the warranty, so I had them all replaced. As luck would have it our original unattractive colours were discontinued, so Jayco replace the entire lounge (backrests as well) with our selection from the current colour range.

Many Jaycos have seat bases that are almost full cushion depth .... but mine aint one of them. I was going to rip the entire couch apart and rebuild it with a deeper seat base to better support the cushions, but that seemed a little extreme (even by my standards) so I extended the hinged plywood access flaps about 80mm overhanging past the base. Those extensions are not visible but give substantial support to the over hang of the cushions along that seam.

These are the new cushions, but they have the same fatal design flaw. The wing cushion end closest to the camera shows the cushion overhang, and the cushion joint seam almost directly over the base edge. Any pressure on the cushion edges tends to force the cushion edge at the seam down over the base, effectively trying to constantly rip open that seam

20170926_151525.jpg

5mm thick sheets of MDF attached only to the hinged section of the seat base, when closed overhang the base around 80mm and supports almost the entire cushion over hang. Pressure on the area now mostly just compresses the cushion. The 5mm MDF doesn't interfere with the opening or functioning of the hatches at all, and I'm hoping the MDF will extend the service life of that seam

20180325_141354.jpg

Buch

Nov 4, 2015
Perth, WA
I had the same issue. The front thigh cushion (which is where the split is coming apart) is sewn to the front of the larger seat pad, ie a smaller cushion cover with seperate foam insert attached to a larger cushion cover with its likewise seperate foam insert That weak join, in our van at least, is almost directly over the couch base lead edge which provides a perfect pivot/stress point to ensure the 2 pads are very unlikely to stay together. Total design stupidity with inbuilt stress points.

Blackmans do Jayco's leather couches, but I believe they do the cloth in-house at the factory

I was lucky enough to have been living in the van so the cushions got a daily workout and the seams opened up during the warranty, so I had them all replaced. As luck would have it our original unattractive colours were discontinued, so Jayco replace the entire lounge (backrests as well) with our selection from the current colour range.

Many Jaycos have seat bases that are almost full cushion depth .... but mine aint one of them. I was going to rip the entire couch apart and rebuild it with a deeper seat base to better support the cushions, but that seemed a little extreme (even by my standards) so I extended the hinged plywood access flaps about 80mm overhanging past the base. Those extensions are not visible but give substantial support to the over hang of the cushions along that seam.

These are the new cushions, but they have the same fatal design flaw. The wing cushion end closest to the camera shows the cushion overhang, and the cushion joint seam almost directly over the base edge. Any pressure on the cushion edges tends to force the cushion edge at the seam down over the base, effectively trying to constantly rip open that seam

View attachment 60153

5mm thick sheets of MDF attached only to the hinged section of the seat base, when closed overhang the base around 80mm and supports almost the entire cushion over hang. Pressure on the area now mostly just compresses the cushion. The 5mm MDF doesn't interfere with the opening or functioning of the hatches at all, and I'm hoping the MDF will extend the service life of that seam

View attachment 60154

Thats a good idea to extend the base. Will look to do this once I get the seats repaired/replaced.

Reactions: bigcol