Brisbane
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hi to all,
We picked up our van back in April, I finally got around to a couple of mods to our 17 series.

First mod was an external shower, we were in two minds whether we order it with one or not. We didn't, then decided it would be good for the kids when we go to the beach. I bought a unit off eBay, got some John Guest fittings and found a spot behind the back wheel. I made up an alloy box to mount it in and popped it to the bottom of the wall channel. It all fits well with enough room to use the Jack if needed. Not much room beside the fence for a good photo but sits flush with the mud flap.

Second mod is a pole carrier installed just behind the entry door step well. Keeps the weight close to the axles. I might install another one just behind the back wheels, just enough length with the shower fitted to the other side.

third mod is fitting a toolbox to the drawbar. I welded up a cradle and sent to be galvanised, relocated the gas bottles to the outside, lifted the regulator to make sure it is higher than the bottle and so we can access the switch over for the gas bottles. I will have to rebalance the load to help with ball weights. I will be putting checker plate around the gas bottles to finish it off.

Future mods to come will be curtains to bunks, gas detector, rear gas bayonet. I'm sure the list will grow.
Cheers, Chris.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Well done @Rusty02 ... That under storage box is one I have been contemplating for both sides to store wheel ramps/chocks etc on one side and toilet chemicals etc the other.... Just need to find (or make) some that will fit without fouling the drop downs and gas point!

Reactions: bigcol

Rusty02

Aug 16, 2015
Brisbane
Hi Dove, the shower box sit's 450mm from the ground. The bottom is level with the bottom of the Jack point and is level with the drop down legs so plenty of clearance. The pole carrier ends up about level with the bottom of the front water tank so this is good protection for the pvc pipe.

Rusty02

Aug 16, 2015
Brisbane
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I have added some checker plate around the gas bottles, this will also protect the front of the van. I am thinking of putting some rubber flaps to the bottom frame to protect the plumbing. I might have to do some yard work before anymore mods or the neighbours with think I bought a Jeep

Rusty02

Aug 16, 2015
Brisbane
Mmm good point. I guess I will add that to the mod's list. I don't think I will have room on the drawbar for one so I would think a Stone Stomper would be good or maybe add a full width rubber flap to the back of the Triton.

Reactions: Delano

MBC004

Feb 3, 2014
Love the toolbox rusty, great build, any chance of pictures of underneath, I would love to do a very similar thing to mine

Rusty02

Aug 16, 2015
Brisbane
Here is a drawing of the frame, I used 50 x 50 angle. I bought the toolbox from Mates Rates Toolboxes. If you decide to do this sort of thing, buy the toolbox first because they never make them exactly square or to the mm. You can then sit the box in position and tack weld it. I would love to help but too busy camping
image.jpeg