17' Series Rotten food in freezer! Help please!!!

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Happen to be at Jayco Bayswater today, and in conversation I mentioned this to them....They said they have known of this happening before and there was no option other than to replace the fridge...Sorry.

Of course they would say that, they get to sell more fridges that way!

I like @Crusty181's ideas, certainly would be trying anything before I purchased a new one.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I'm trying to think what we did to an esky that still had some bait left in it and was found weeks later, I think we tried all the items mentioned, a good soak and lots of sun must have come good as still have it in use now, years later.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Back in 2011 had a very smelly person do the servicing on our car at a car yard. The smell just wouldn't go. (Stunk like a dead rat in the roof on a summers day). Took it back and they 'ozoned' it. The smell was completely gone. Not sure if you can get this done with a fridge at all, but if you can, it's worth a try.

Jacburg

Oct 7, 2012
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Just to update all that are interested......I did first get rid of all my anger towards the offender who caused this disaster and then we moved on!!! We have tried EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING and unfortunately nothing has worked. For the weekend away we kept the fridge closed and used the old fashioned method of a esky which was fine although there was a slight smell it was bearable. I used a variety of the following methods vinegar, eucalyptus, nil odour, bicarbonate soda, vanilla essence, bleach and prays! Nothing worked. We had the van completely open to air it out. The smell had started to get into the couches etc. not wanting to cause any further damage we decided to replace the fridge. Having spoken to a number of people the consensus seemed to be that we will never get the smell out of the insulation surrounding the freezer section. I think this is right as we removed the freezer door and pulled it apart (just as an aside there were maggots in there). I them treated the styrofoam from inside the door but the smell was always there. It has been a costly lesson but it's not the end of the world and its only money. Can't wait to get the van back with the new fridge.

Reactions: bigcol and jacbaz

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Just to update all that are interested......I did first get rid of all my anger towards the offender who caused this disaster and then we moved on!!! We have tried EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING and unfortunately nothing has worked. For the weekend away we kept the fridge closed and used the old fashioned method of a esky which was fine although there was a slight smell it was bearable. I used a variety of the following methods vinegar, eucalyptus, nil odour, bicarbonate soda, vanilla essence, bleach and prays! Nothing worked. We had the van completely open to air it out. The smell had started to get into the couches etc. not wanting to cause any further damage we decided to replace the fridge. Having spoken to a number of people the consensus seemed to be that we will never get the smell out of the insulation surrounding the freezer section. I think this is right as we removed the freezer door and pulled it apart (just as an aside there were maggots in there). I them treated the styrofoam from inside the door but the smell was always there. It has been a costly lesson but it's not the end of the world and its only money. Can't wait to get the van back with the new fridge.

Can't say you didn't give it a crack @Jacburg.

As you say costly lesson, but I'm sure it will be triple checked every time you come back 'forever' now, not to mention giving you ammunition for eternity :)

Reactions: jacbaz

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Would be a project to strip the whole fridge down replace any non plastic/metal and the longer it stays in the van the more it would infect the rest of the thing, fabric, wood you would never get it out.
Now when you get back always leave the van plugged in with the fridge on.