Exterior Roof Sealant

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
I'm wanting to re seal the roof joints in my 2012 poptop as a preventative measure, can anyone tell me what the sealant is that Jayco use. I'm wanting to use Eternabond roof seal tape but have to be sure the Jayco product has no silicone in it. It looks like it could be sika but I'm not sure.
Thanks

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
Thanks Mike,
After I posted I thought I would see if I could get on to Jayco Head office. I just got a call back from Jayco Techinical Dept who advised that in 2012 they would have been using Sikaflex. Now I've got doubts, I hope he's right as Eternabond is not cheap.

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
My 2015 Discovery Outback poptop had a polyurethane sealant around top.Just pealed it off with a scraper.There was a lip of around 1/16 inch up to alloy extrusion and when cleaned up it had no gaps between the two materials.I masked all around the roof and put on a copolymer sealant.I thought the roof was leaking internally inside however it was the alloy extrusion getting very wet from the heat and humidity in the van in cold weather. I also replaced the four corner strips on the roof ,the sealing in those was non existent .Silicone will be very hard to get off with turps,polyurethane sealants will basically dissolve with turps and peal off much more easily.
DO NOT use Acetic curing silicones on steel or alloys,severe corrosion can occur.

Reactions: Crusty181