14' Series Roof Pooling Issue

D4Dazz

Dec 31, 2011
Rowville, VIC
Hey guys haven’t posted for quite some time, but an issue with my lid and need some feedback or information if anyone has experienced something similar. I had the lid of my 14.44-4 replaced mid last year after it was damaged in a hail storm. Took 8 weeks to bulls a new lid as I have a 2012 model.

Anyway lid on and the first time we pack after rain we get soaked from water coming off the roof. Back to Jayco and as expected we get the obligatory “that’s normal” response. The service dealer is asked by Jayco HO to take some measurements and apparently Jayco have a +/- 15mm tolerance on their lids for dips and raises.

Not happy with this response I take the van home and carefully load as much water as I could on the roof of the van to measure volume........I have a video that will try to upload, however it’s record in HD and might be too big.

51ltrs of water I managed to get on the lid of my van and could have got more..... Someplease tell me that I’m not over-reacting.

Has anyone experienced anything like this??

Thanks heaps, Dazz

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
No I haven’t experienced that on out 14.44 but if I am expecting a lot of rain I will drop the whole van on the offside rear corner enough for run off but only enough to keep the fridge fairly operational on gas.

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
I have a 2015 Journey outback poptop. The roof on mine is a dogs break fast,humps .hollows, etc etc etc.Yet inside it has slight positive camber from side to side. For yours to collect 50 litres of water is a joke.50 kilos sitting there if it rains.!! Its not a water tank!!Can you put straight edges across from side to side then take photos send them to Jayco.. couldnt open your video for some reason. I would not accept a roof with this much negative deflection.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I was wondering what was happening on the video then a wall of water appeared, I would be showing Jayco that video along with measurements and a pic of the water on top with markers, that is not really a good thing, what is it like though when set up does it flow off or still pool........I always park my rig at home with the front high to allow run off.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Water pooling on pop top roofs has always be an issue especially with Jayco, our Expanda at the time wasn't to bad,
They need to redesign the roof so it's slightly curved like the campers

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Just another point, all that extra weight where it is sealed against the aluminium half round side extrusions could cause more problems.My urethane seal had degraded in 4 years and the corner cover strips were letting in water.

D4Dazz

Dec 31, 2011
Rowville, VIC
Thanks for reply's guys'. I have been in conversations with my Jayco dealer who are dealing with Jayco HO. Apparently Jayco allow up to 15 mm variance in their roofs, which over a small area is probably that that big an issue. I have run a string over the roof of the Panda with the dealer and it vary's from 5 mm to 12 mm across the whole roof area....hence the 50 ltrs of water.

The biggest issue I can see is the roof panels are 'sunken"' compared to the outer edge frame of the lid.

Here is a still picture from the movie for those who cant view
Picture1.jpg
the video...

Reactions: Drover

D4Dazz

Dec 31, 2011
Rowville, VIC
Water pooling on pop top roofs has always be an issue especially with Jayco, our Expanda at the time wasn't to bad,
They need to redesign the roof so it's slightly curved like the campers

Totally agree Bushman. That said we had little or no issues with the original roof prior to the hail damage....

They defiantly need to do something.

D4Dazz

Dec 31, 2011
Rowville, VIC
4 videos and and around 20 still shots later and jayco have finally decided my roof is not right and it will replaced..... 6 to 8 weeks to have a new lid built. Give this was their issue I would have thought it be a bit quicker. Guess I can’t complain too much it being fixed!!