Roof hatch letting rain in...

Pauly

Aug 25, 2013
Gyday ,
Wondering if anyone has experienced this before?
Driving in light rain with our Starcraft I Noticed a couple drops of water on the buffet bench
image.jpeg

and was scratching my head to where it could of been coming from???
Everywhere along and around the hatch was dry....
While traveling the rain got rather heavy. Then I walk in to find more than just a few drops
image.jpeg
with more evidence it was easy to see the access point for said water.
image.jpeg
Hard to see in pic but it's coming through the holes in the vents.
I figure it's getting pushed in with turbulent air. Our aircon is directly behind the hatch on the roof. There is a shield of sort built in to the hatch but I think I may have to extend it slightly so it deflects water better. Covering the vents is not something I want to do. Realistically bugger all made its way into our mobile castle but I'll still try to implement a 'fix' all the same.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@Pauly we had a similar issue with our roof hatch on our first trip with heavy rain (No comment please @bigcol ;) )
Only difference was ours was a "Flash flood" but luckily we were in the van at the time and managed to contain the incoming H2O!

Luckily still under warranty so took it to a Jayco Warranty Agent and he apparently knew what the issue was... In the 2014 model the hatches supplied were made of a plastic that Sikaflex/Silastic etc would not stick to too well. He removed the hatch, roughed up the sealing base with sandpaper and resealed it when reinstalling.

Have been away in wet weather again since then with no issues.

Maybe something to look into?

Reactions: bigcol and Pauly

Pauly

Aug 25, 2013
Cheers , the seals the first thing I ran my eye over but all is dry. Has been parked up at home in torrential rain and dryzabone inside.
Only hooking down the road on this one day It's decided to come in through the vents (can just see it in the pics dribbling through the holes) that are there to allow any carbon monoxide to be expelled. Could just tape over them but I'll come up with a better solution that doesn't block them I'm sure. And when I do I bet there will be no rain to drive in to see if it's a success . Have to fly through the auto car wash at 100kph:anonymous:

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Pauly

Aug 25, 2013
I had read your post previously about the issue(many moons ago) before finding this water myself . So was in the back of my mind and went looking , The silastic on the rooftop and the shrouds /roof lining on the inside where I initially thought it could have been coming from ...it all looked A Ok and dry. Got to thinking I'm dreaming and the kids must have just brushed past with wet hands.,,?!?,
ours has a foam strip but it doesn't close to seal at the back. The locking tabs hold it about ten mil up.

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
We had issues with ours closing at handover. Maybe it's a fault with our batch as they all came off the line around the same time. Mention it to your dealer.

Reactions: Pauly

Pauly

Aug 25, 2013
Closes ok , was a bit stiff when the locking hooks catch the lid upon fully closing, but has free'd up with use now.
Is that what yours was doing?
I don't think there's a fault as such with it, just may have been 'perfect storm' the way it was blowing over the top. Small extension to the baffle should be a perfect remedy.
Just wondered if anyone else had the same thing happen?

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
Closes ok , was a bit stiff when the locking hooks catch the lid upon fully closing, but has free'd up with use now.
Is that what yours was doing?
I don't think there's a fault as such with it, just may have been 'perfect storm' the way it was blowing over the top. Small extension to the baffle should be a perfect remedy.
Just wondered if anyone else had the same thing happen?
The handover guy opened ours and it wouldn't close again. Haven't been game to open it again lol but no wasn't an issue with leaking so far (touch wood!). Maybe you were right and it is a rain/speed thing.

Reactions: Pauly