17' Series Rollout Awning

john hayward

Dec 31, 2012
i need to replace the rollout awning on my 17.56 expanda as it has deteriorated badly mainly from the beautiful Qld sunshine.
Can anyone who has been through this exercise please advise:
Where am I likely to find the best deal for a quality replacement, and
Can I do the replacement myself or is it a job for a professional only?

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I had to replace one of the arms on the awning recently and did a bit of googling to find out how to do it.

I found quite a few YouTube videos that dealt with replacing the vinyl fabric like this one

Can be done DIY but you'll probably need another set of hands to assist with the spring tensioning, otherwise it all looks straightforward.

Reactions: skippy and dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Had to replace mine before Xmas, buy one from www.caravansplus.com even with freight they are over $100 less than a shop, a good mob to deal with.
You buy the awning fitted on a new barrel and fitting is relatively easy you need 2 of you, 2 x step ladders and phillips head screwdriver basically.
You just disconnect from the posts,slide it out of the sail track on van put the new one in and jiggle a little bit to get the pins in, when all done pull the split pin out and it's armed and ready to roll.

Mate and I did it in about an hour, maybe less.
Mine for a 14footer was $500 delivered compared to $650 from van shop and it was a genuine one.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I was quoted $650 for the awning, thats on the drum and $150 fitting, that was pretty much the same from all those I contacted, I was on the road at the time so ended up buying the whole thing and got it delivered to a mates and we fitted it, genuine Made In USA and the advice I got from others was to go the whole replacement that way next year the springs in the barrel won't go bang, all new and should last the distance. Awning only prices I got from the various places were a joke.
Oh forgot to add will need a good knife to cut your way into the packing, they come in a big tube with timber frame and steel end caps, meant not to be damaged for sure.
The Carefree awnings are a good price the Dometic and Fiamma jobs are more costly.

john hayward

Dec 31, 2012
Thanks Drover for your assistance.
I like the idea of a new drum as mine was also starting to be a little loose when retracted, not to mention the less hassle of installing it.
I notice that there is a substantial price difference between the Carefree and Dometic brands.
If you did purchase the Carefree brand can you advise if you are happy with the quality of it.
Thanks for your help (and everyone else).

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The original was a Carefree which after 6 yrs was holding up well untill a hail storm took it out, the new one seemed good quality and with new roller performed very nicely, didn't get to check it out in a hail storm before we sold the van though thankfully.....Big Mal has a new Carefree fitted so I'm happy all round.
The other week at Red Rock I was helping a fella with his Dometic awning and I thought it didn't seem as robust as the Carefree, it had a bit of age on it but the supports seemed lighter and the Fiamma ones I think are flimsy, doubt they could stand up to a Gully Raker storm at all.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
A new Carefree awning from caravans plus.com it is!
Thanks for your help.

I have just finished replacing both arms on my awning this morning.

The Spring tension is not a problem at all, and can easily be re-tensioned, so unless the barrel is damaged or something, I wouldn't waste your money getting the whole assembly.

Reactions: Bluey and skippy

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I had a quote for something like $450 just for a replacement awning so thought the extra little bit for a new barrel was good value.

Reactions: mfexpanda

john hayward

Dec 31, 2012
Hi Drover
Got the new awning ready to install. Any tips or traps that I should be aware of in removing the old one and/or installing the new one. Unfortunately it doesn't come with instructions.
Thanks
John

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Lets see, need 2 of you at least, with a short step/ladder each, it all comes off and back on with the arms in the vertical position basically, I used Mr Google and found some instructions that gave a good rundown on things. Otherwise it's pretty easy and the awning is in the same position on the van as the old one or it won't roll up straight and don't pull the split pin out until everything is bolted down and your ready to open it all up...............

Oh !!!!! PS..............don't force anything if it doesn't go easy then something is wrong.

Last edited:
100 days in Australia and to celebrate that, I forgot to „close“ the rollout awning before heading off to Lucky Bay, WA.
Well, I wasn’t lucky. The damn thing unrolled and I didn’t realise it before I got there. (maybe because I don’t drive with caravan-mirrors)
To get the full experience again, I need to replace it. (as well as one of the top arms as the pre-owner managed to bend it somehow)

Does anyone knows a place in WA where I can order a replacement? Or maybe I should give that webshop @Drover mentioned a try. But I don’t have any postal address in south-west. Anyone can help? Cheers!

Attachments

• DEDFC502-9907-4F08-9993-277CAC34C631.jpeg
    DEDFC502-9907-4F08-9993-277CAC34C631.jpeg
    204.7 KB · Views: 467

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Bloody hell you certainly did a job on that, there are a couple of reasonable places over there that the fellas have mentioned but who they are escapes me, if you used caravans plus you would have to talk on the phone with them to work out arrival so you could be at a caravan park when its due, freight would be scary.....
You need to have a routine for when you are about to leave, doing the same thing each time you stop for a break, I always walk around the whole rig check hitch and sockets, gas off, awning lock downs, windows, roof latches,door, legs, aerial etc along with lights, its something you should do then it becaomes second nature and you will notice something straight away.

I have made some straps with velcro tabs which I wrap around the uprights of the awning as high as I can reach, these work very well for the times the lock nut has come loose or some idiot didn't do his checks properly, awning arms tried to move but the starps held them in.......even a bit of strap off an old bag with bucklles would do..

Towing mirrors are a legal requirement, contrary to what a lot of legendary drivers tell you, if you cannot see the sides of your van, trailer you are required to have mirrors..... Interstate plates will attract attention of ticket writers......................I have found them very handy, door unlocked, window not latched properly, awning flapping, shadow on road showing stupid TV aerial not down all the way.....................even with a routine I have stuffed up sometimes or things go astray still.

Reactions: Jack Lucy & Josh
Yeah, what I do I tend to do properly! ;-)
We do have that routine and it worked well until today. With 5 people travelling there is always something that distracts you. „Dad, where are my XYZ, ...?!“ ;-)

Maybe I should just cut that „worn out“ part off and keep travelling with the remaining part. Would that somehow affects the rollout function?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yeah, what I do I tend to do properly! ;-)
We do have that routine and it worked well until today. With 5 people travelling there is always something that distracts you. „Dad, where are my XYZ, ...?!“ ;-)

I have certainly been in that position, distracted, forget and of course that is the one time something decides to fall off..........................

[/QUOTE]Maybe I should just cut that „worn out“ part off and keep travelling with the remaining part. Would that somehow affects the rollout function?[/QUOTE]

Goodness me, I like your thinking ....................... trim the damaged section off from trak to trak fold an edge over and tape with good quality 100mph tape (the stuff with cloth embedded in it) allowing it to run over the barrel a bit to stop it tearing, I reckon that could work for awhile at least, worth trying until something else comes along anyway............................after being side swiped by a grain truck I gaffa taped the side of my van and it held together rather well, marvelous stuff it is.

If you wanted to remove the vinyl to cut it would mean removing a barrel end cap and I'm sure you would have to redo the spring tension not something you really want to do.

Have a look at the caravans plus site and it shows you the how to's about an awning, also gives you something to compare price if bought from a local business to you, easy to replace for 2 people with a small ladder, pair of pliers, screw driver, I think thats all thats needed, oh and a hack saw to open the packaging, its very well packed.

Kane r

Sep 20, 2022
Blue mountains
Lets see, need 2 of you at least, with a short step/ladder each, it all comes off and back on with the arms in the vertical position basically, I used Mr Google and found some instructions that gave a good rundown on things. Otherwise it's pretty easy and the awning is in the same position on the van as the old one or it won't roll up straight and don't pull the split pin out until everything is bolted down and your ready to open it all up...............

Oh !!!!! PS..............don't force anything if it doesn't go easy then something is wrong.
Hi there I’m just about to replace my whole drum on expanda did you just put a pin in old drum take end caps off and replace while arms are on van still any advice would be helpful