SA Robe Discovery Holiday Park

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Venue: Robe Discovery Holiday Park
Address: 70 - 80 Esplanade, Robe, South Australia 5276
Phone: 1800 106 106
Link: http://www.discoveryholidayparks.com.au/sa/limestone_coast/robe
Date Visited: 2/4/15 – 11/4/15 (inc. Easter Weekend)
Visitors: 2 adults, 3kids
Rate: $55/n

Review:
A Christmas present from my folks saw us with a Big 4 voucher to use. With the exhorbitant rates that caravan parks charge over Xmas, this enabled us to actually afford something over the break for an extended stay. With the goal on going as “far as we can go in one day” we ended up in Robe, SA.

As part of the Big 4 chain, it’s got the usual amenities such as pool, playground, jumping pillow, kitchen and the like.

Located across the road from the impeccable Long Beach, it’s fairly stock standard kind of park. But it’s location to the beach (being walkable) puts it above the rest in the area for location. Having said that, it was a decent whack out of town, a ride or a car trip at a minimum.

The entrance into the park is a little tight and when arriving with the long weekend crowd, we were actually queuing in the road. Thankfully, it’s not a thriving metropolis, and I only banked up more vans… J

As for the sites, the one we had was very tight. So much so that we had to put the van across the site as otherwise it’d have been hanging out in the road. We got the all clear from staff that we’d have the neighbouring site when we needed to leave (which we did). The sites up the back were much more spacious and the bigger vans were up there, but where we were seemed more suited to tents and campers.

Over the Easter weekend our neighbours were pretty raucous, and eventually got the staff/security called on the second night. But I sense being regulars they were “immune” to warnings. Still, whilst being annoying, other than the first night, it was bearable. Plus we got payback when they had to pack up in the rain.

Facilities were good, pool indoor and heated. Games room with ping pong and arcade games all with their “price of admission”. The playground was nice and new, and the kids loved the jumping pillow as they do.

A feature for the Easter weekend was the pancakes, Easter egg hunt and movie night put on for Easter Sunday, kids disco the night before all for gold coin donation for location fire brigade. These were really popular and well run. Certainly a feature and something I’d hope most of the “franchises” would run.

The staff were helpful whenever we went to them and couldn’t really be faulted.

One draw back was someone emptied their fish scraps (or something similar) in the bins across from us and really stunk us out. Whilst the bins were regularly emptied the area kept stinking and it wasn’t until some big rain came through that the smell dissipated

Once the crowds left after Easter the place became nice and quiet as expected. However as a result, the toilet block across from us was locked and meant we had to go to the front of the park for the facilities. Not unreasonable, but more inconvenient.

Overall it was a nice place, well run and reasonably well presented. I’d recommend it for sure but there was something about it that didn’t quite “click” with us. Part of the unknown “X Factor” that I’ve mentioned before in other reviews. We much preferred the look of Beachport CP which we saw on a day trip.

As a result, I’ve decided to upgrade my review gradings and criteria as I think they’re a little to simplified.

Staff: 8/10
Site: 6/10
Facilities 8/10
Price: 7/10
X Factor: 5/10

Overall: 7/10

IMG_2022.JPG IMG_2026.JPG IMG_2050.JPG IMG_2058.JPG IMG_2085.JPG

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Where did you park the ute when it was busy? Doesn't look like a lot of room left on the site.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Another quality " @Smergen " presentation !!! I can see parks giving you free accomadation in the future just so they get a good review.:encouragement:

Now that would be a dream job... Maybe I should start linking them to Tripadvisor or something similar...

Where did you park the ute when it was busy? Doesn't look like a lot of room left on the site.

No, there wasn't much room at all. I went and spoke to the front desk and they said throw it right down the back of the site. I mentioned that was unacceptable as I was still "using" the back to store a few items. They then offered a bit of space next to the dunnies which involved parking it under a tree with some low hanging branches. After doing that one night, and not keen to have me risk getting some nice scratches in the duco, I simply parked it out the front with the 2 wheels on the road. Meant I was nervous with bike riders and skate boards, but what can you do. At least I could see it...

Reactions: 17triton and Wanda

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
another great report.. Side ways I assume you where in before the swan :)
With 4 small ones yes big4 and the like are good with activities although you pay for it.
The parks are normally packed on holidays with lots of kids... If you come beforehand or stay after it becomes a ghost town with Grey Nomads who do not come out at night :)

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
another great report.. Side ways I assume you where in before the swan :)
With 4 small ones yes big4 and the like are good with activities although you pay for it.
The parks are normally packed on holidays with lots of kids... If you come beforehand or stay after it becomes a ghost town with Grey Nomads who do not come out at night :)

Yeah, I was comfortable with the nightly rate for the entire stay. The voucher made it bearable, but they did put on activities for the kids which was well received. Other parks we looked at down Mallacoota way wanted $100/n+.... I just can't fathom that.

There were plenty of kids and many "caravan park friends" were made. After Easter Monday... yep... ghost town. Had a few chats with nomads and a few other Vic families who were particularly interested in the van and features. Always love a good "show and tell". Part of having a van I reckon.

Reactions: mfexpanda

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
yes and we paid $78 a night for a ensuite site at Southport, although locally yes $100+ for some grass and shared dunny :(
We got to Southport now twice before the kids and our kids had the playground to themselves for a few days.
Come 7pm we feel like they keeping the whole park up and get evil looks.
The guy across from us told off kids with training wheels on their bike riding at 7:40pm.. he said your too loud its bed time..

Then everyone comes the grey nomads run away quick and their are kids bikes going to 10-11pm which I have no probs about.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Nice write up @Smergen.

Your observations are interesting, we stayed in that park over Christmas and found many similar issues to those you identified.

The size of the sites was a particular issue for us in the 21.64. We had to get a few people to move cars just so we could get on to our site.

After we set up, we went for a look around town and found a heap of nomads Free camping down at the park by the water.

If we had seen that prior, we probably would have stayed there instead.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Thanks @Bellbirdweb. We saw a few vans pull up opposite the park near the Robe Hotel, but it didn't look like they were hanging there overnight. Is that where you were thinking?

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
No, there wasn't much room at all. I went and spoke to the front desk and they said throw it right down the back of the site. I mentioned that was unacceptable as I was still "using" the back to store a few items. They then offered a bit of space next to the dunnies which involved parking it under a tree with some low hanging branches. After doing that one night, and not keen to have me risk getting some nice scratches in the duco, I simply parked it out the front with the 2 wheels on the road. Meant I was nervous with bike riders and skate boards, but what can you do. At least I could see it...
You have to stop asking for the crap sites i think mate.:)

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
You have to stop asking for the crap sites i think mate.:)

I must admit, we've had some poor ones. I reckon Mrs Smerg's doesn't put her foot down enough when booking, or doesn't quite understand the size of our van... Still, our site was more than fine when it wasn't packed. Being across from bins, dump points and dunnies, provided the wind is fine, means that cleaning up is far easier.