18' Series Reverse light wiring within van loom

pjulian

Oct 21, 2018
Sydney
Hi, I want to install some reverse lights on my van and found that there is a wire heading into the van from the correct pin on the 12 pin plug, however it's black and I can't work out where it goes to.
Around the middle of the van there is a plug, I think it has 6 or 8 pins, but it's not plugged into anything, does anybody know if that reverse wire might happen to be sitting in an empty plug somewhere under the van where I could connect up to it for some LED lights ?

I figure if there is wiring there somewhere already it's better to use that the run new wires :)

Thanks
Paul

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The only sure way is to test circuits, if you don't have a multi meter then get a simple test pen from an auto shop, just a sort of screw driver with a lead and globe, firstly with tug engine running check your earth for the tester by testing a known power circuit, then test the reverse pin if it is live it may be used for a power circuit to van, if not then engine shut down, with reverse lights on check the 12pin, if the test light works then you have the pin wired up, if still not on then you have to work out what is wired up by simple test everything one at a time, it can be a slow process trying to follow cables.
(Of course testing reverse lights, the tug needs to be shut down, hand brake on, reverse selected and ignition on, wheels should be chocked and a responsible person in the drivers seat with foot on brake.)

If it was wired for reverse lights there should be an empty socket on the light harness where it plugs in to the lights, this could give a clue to the colour of the wire but only on the van side of the connector not the light unit harness as the colour code could be totally different I can't see why there would be one in middle of van, its a dedicated circuit so shouldn't have a piggy back off it.
Often it is easier to run a dedicated line but don't go for normal reverse lights use a small flood mounted high which can be utilised when camping by running an extra circuit from the van battery just have to have it so it won't be on when driving or may attract unwanted attention.

Unless I'm mixed up black used to be POS on Jayco's (or was it white ??) so shouldn't be a reverse light wire.......even if someone gives a positive ID still check first.

pjulian

Oct 21, 2018
Sydney
Thanks Drover, I was thinking I will do this anyway, the harness I am seeing on the loom under the van is probably for ESC considering there is the plug at the front as well. I have a couple of small LED floodlights I was going to use, so I think I will just stick with temporary wire I have run and secure that properly, then integrate that cable into the plug wiring harness properly.

I have a very long driveway which is downhill on my battleaxe block, reversing the van down it in the daylight is challenge enough, but I need some decent lights to handle it at night, a reverse camera will probably be the next stop for final positioning.

Thanks again

Paul

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If your going to end up with a camera on the back, mine runs all the time as a rear view not just reversing, I use a 90deg cam not a 120deg reverse cam, I picked up power to run it from the fridge so when the rig is hooked up and fridge plugged in the cam and fridge are working, if the cam drops off line then I can assume so has the fridge, also means the cam isn't running all the time when unhooked......they aren't all that great at night though and with cams if you concentrate too much on them while reversing folks often don't run over anything but take the side's out as they forget to look in mirrors......not me but have seen an odd van and a few trucks........I would try to put the lights on the top corners at the rear then they will give a good arc to light stuff up for you to see thru your mirrors.

pjulian

Oct 21, 2018
Sydney
Thanks guys.

I am going to fit my 12 pin plug to my Patrol tomorrow to replace the 7 pin unit, I want to run the charge cable (pin 8) via a relay so it only comes on when the engine is running, last thing I want is for the fridge to kill my main battery in the car, but I don't feel that running the van off the second battery in the car is a good idea, or is it ?

I already have a circuit going to the back for my anderson plug which is kind of obsolete now, but I'm not sure if I should run the van off that battery or the main one while driving.

What do others do in this situation ?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Use an Anderson for the fridge run, they will carry the current better than the 12 pin, if the 12pin doesn't have a very good contact it will melt plus if you use 8 B&S (ideal for fridge) or larger cable the 12pin won't accommodate it, running it by a relay is a good idea though.

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
My fridge runs thru the 12 pin and has never had an issue with the contacts.

Whether off the main or secondary battery, put in a 'sensor to monitor voltage' (forgot what it is called) as this will cut off the power when it drops to 11.8?

Glen

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
But if your running it off the main engine battery 11.8 may not crank, thats why shut down when engine off is better........went for years and years and years on a 12 pin then one day the damn thing melted, so no fridge, no cam, no turn sig, so sat on side of road and fitted a replacement because a stupid pin didn't have a decent contact plus if using 8 or 6 B&S you have to pair the wire so defeats the purpose of bigger cable use....