Exterior Reseal Poptop Roof

Katut

Aug 20, 2017
Baulkham Hills
Hi All,

I have a 2009 16ft expanda and planning to do a roof reseal, I have no leaks but it looks like it hasn’t been done before and the original looks well worn so some preventative maintenance. Planning to use Sika 291 seems to be the consensus. Looking for any advice on the best steps to take, cleaning products (metho?), tools used to form the sika? I have a basic approach in mind but always welcome tips based on previous experiences.

AdrianVVV

Jul 25, 2017
Melbourne
Hi Katut,

I have a 2012 14' which leaked badly soon after I bought it (last year) during a heavy rain storm. fortunately it is normally stored angled down so no water got into it in storage. After replacing the sealant it has been fine. I used Sika 291 (the general consensus), however I have found that it has started to discolour after a year in the sun although is still perfectly intact. There is no mention of UV stability in the datasheet. You might want to look into Sika 295 (see attached product list) which is a similar product but with UV stability. The 295 seems harder to get but I have found it at Whitworths (although haven't applied it personally).

My method was:
1. Wash roof area with water
2. Remove all old sealant with plastic scraper and metho to clean the last bits (this was tedious), also remove plastic corner pieces (mine were riveted and stuck in the sealant)
3. Mask up to provide a nice bead line, use a wide masking tape.
4. Apply sealant pushing it into the gaps, use excess sealant.
5. Scrap off excess sealant to edge of masking line with plastic scrapers and put excess into bin. Ideally this should provide you a nice bead.
6. Wipe up any misses with metho and a rag (have heaps of small rag bits on hand)
7. Peel off masking tape BEFORE the sika sets.

You need to work progressively and peel off the masking tape as you go. I was a bit slow in one area and it took some of the sealant with it, as it had already have set. It made a real mess.

Don't forget to also re-seal/rivet the corner pieces.

I used about 3 tubes of sealant, lots of scrapers, metho and rags.

Good luck, it was a messy job, but agree best to do it before you get a leak like I did. I was lucky to fix it before it did any damage.

Adrian

Attachments

• Dist.WallChart_Sika-Product-Range .pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 687
Last edited:

Katut

Aug 20, 2017
Baulkham Hills
Adrian,

Thank you that was exactly what I was hoping for with this post, I really appreciate your time to run through the process, some great tips to work with.
Darren

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep as @AdrianVVV has detailled, good description, I would add when you go to scrape it down have a spray bottle with some soapy water in it, spray your scraper and the surface then give it a scrape this will stop it from sticking to your scraper and give it a nice finish, clean off excess off scraper using a bit of cardboard...................it's a tedious job cleaning the old stuff off but a sharp bit of plastic/perspex does a great job, slices the sealant and not the body, ceramic knives will cut the surface.........

Reactions: Ben Stanford