Suspension Request for advice; jtech wheel alignment.

Gilmorehappy

Jul 7, 2015
Newcastle
Hi all, just wondering if anyone has any experience aligning the wheels on tandem axle jtech. I noticed visibly the passenger side set out of line and checked with straight edge then string line. Off the chassis, the front wheel goes 5 mm left and the rear goes 3mm right. Looks like a fairly easy adjustment with a simple bolt and cam as pictured - looks like good design, but I'll leave it to the dealer first service as I don't have torque wrenches or know the spec.

Also has anyone noticed any cracked welds on chassis; when checking suspension I saw this floor joist with a bird sh#t weld in need of repair. I'll just get the dealer to repair under peace of mind warranty! Happy daze.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Reactions: Rockape

Gilmorehappy

Jul 7, 2015
Newcastle
I dont have dual wheels, but bugga, thats a first find for sure.......................
Thanks @bigcol . Not too worried about it as it looks easily adjustable and I consider it a minor thing. I couldn't find any posts on here about it, but I reckon it's worth mentioning for folks to check wheels are aligned as could cost on tyres and fuel.........possibly sway??

Also applies to single axles independent susp.

Just need to make sure the van is rolled back and forwards in straight line a couple of times( esp tandem axle) to make sure wheels are not being twisted before checking with straight edge or string. Can tape measure off the main chassis rail to see if wheels both sides of van tracking straight.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
As you pointed out @Gilmorehappy most important to rock back/forwards to get everything sitting straight, far better to put it into a truck alighn shop if not a warranty job.

If I had a dual axle with Off Road knobby tyres fitted I would be rotating them every 10,000k as the rear will chop more than the front but wouldn't be putting chunky rubber on as a replacement, a lazy axles doesn't need macho rubber.

If you need to DIY sit each wheel on a square of lino on smooth concrete then the wheel will move easy when you do the adjuster, trying to adjust on a driveway surface can just tension up the movement.

Reactions: Delano and skippy

Roosterman

Jul 18, 2015
Hunter Valley
Great thread, I picked my new 56-2 OB last week, drove it home, Vic back to NSW, and the first thing I have arranged is a wheel alignment for it with a truck and bus wheel alignment place, Hunter Valley.

My FIL has a large duel axel van, and has experience with this sort of stuff, he and I rolled around under my van, and he believes the adjustment can be achieved by a professional, after a phone to call to few places im booked in for Thurs morn, to have it aligned, and balanced.

As for Jayco doing it, not sure about that, I don't think they would have the tooling or the expertise for such a task, and I don't think I would trust them to do it anyway, I cant get into Jayco Newcastle until Feb, which by this time, I will have come home from Vic, been to Newcastle a few times camping, and then to Brisbane and back for 3 weeks. all up prob close to 5k in travel.

This is why im getting the wheels done myself, given our travel plans, I will provide some feed back once I have the job done, on the phone most of the places I spoke to told me whilst there is adjustment in the suspension set up, its not as much as the manufactures say, they did say that its defo worth having them checked and adjusted if needed, even if its not to the full adjustment they (manufactures) talk about..

See what happens.

Rooster...

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
As for Jayco doing it, not sure about that, I don't think they would have the tooling or the expertise for such a task, and I don't think I would trust them to do it anyway, I cant get into Jayco Newcastle until Feb, which by this time, I will have come home from Vic, been to Newcastle a few times camping, and then to Brisbane and back for 3 weeks. all up prob close to 5k in travel.

This is why im getting the wheels done myself, given our travel plans, I will provide some feed back once I have the job done, on the phone most of the places I spoke to told me whilst there is adjustment in the suspension set up, its not as much as the manufactures say, they did say that its defo worth having them checked and adjusted if needed, even if its not to the full adjustment they (manufactures) talk about..

Rooster...

Yep, yep and yep, thats the right thing to do, why wreck a set of tyres waiting for months for a service which will cost you and probably won't do the job anyway.
I'm sure you may even notice it tracking better behind you when it's done.
So much easier than the old bend the axle, add a shim maybe, a few good taps on the spring pack, now just set up the lights and turn a bolt, one way or tother, love it, unless a bush has chopped out......

Last edited:

Gilmorehappy

Jul 7, 2015
Newcastle
As you pointed out @Gilmorehappy most important to rock back/forwards to get everything sitting straight, far better to put it into a truck alighn shop if not a warranty job.

If I had a dual axle with Off Road knobby tyres fitted I would be rotating them every 10,000k as the rear will chop more than the front but wouldn't be putting chunky rubber on as a replacement, a lazy axles doesn't need macho rubber.

If you need to DIY sit each wheel on a square of lino on smooth concrete then the wheel will move easy when you do the adjuster, trying to adjust on a driveway surface can just tension up the movement.
@Drover They are great tips, especially the one with the Lino!

Gilmorehappy

Jul 7, 2015
Newcastle
Great thread, I picked my new 56-2 OB last week, drove it home, Vic back to NSW, and the first thing I have arranged is a wheel alignment for it with a truck and bus wheel alignment place, Hunter Valley.

My FIL has a large duel axel van, and has experience with this sort of stuff, he and I rolled around under my van, and he believes the adjustment can be achieved by a professional, after a phone to call to few places im booked in for Thurs morn, to have it aligned, and balanced.

See what happens.

Rooster...
Thanks @Roosterman would be keen to hear how you go with your pro alignment. From what I can tell the jtech adjustment is similar to what I found here
which is adjusting cruise master suspension; looks to be a similar design.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Way back in the dream time used the lino trick when wheel alighning the old G60 patrol and Landy, mate had a big tractor bearing with a plate on it which he used to put under the front wheels so they would turn, very slick.

Reactions: bigcol

Gilmorehappy

Jul 7, 2015
Newcastle
on another forum I read people where taking there Jtech to get alinged when they first came out.
A few people had weird wearing patterns, I checked ours looked ok when we had the 17'
Not good better early pickup.
Yep, glad saw it early :smile-34:. No biggy- it's a great adjustable design! Worth a heads up of people to check for themselves.

Gilmorehappy

Jul 7, 2015
Newcastle
Even
Way back in the dream time used the lino trick when wheel alighning the old G60 patrol and Landy, mate had a big tractor bearing with a plate on it which he used to put under the front wheels so they would turn, very slick.
even better than the lino @Drover . This forum is so good when you hear about all the tricks!

Reactions: bigcol

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I had my OB back at the dealer last week because the camber is out on all 4 axels with one particularly bad. Caster is adjustable with the Jtech but there is no camber adjustment.

I check 10 other vans in the yard and only two of the 10 were acceptable.

From behind the van have a look at the line of the suspension axel frame, you likely find each one is a different angle, sloping in various degrees.

They should all be the same and perfectly horizontal. I cant do much about it now, but ill be pushing to have the whole suspension replaced when we get back

Roosterman

Jul 18, 2015
Hunter Valley
I had my OB back at the dealer last week because the camber is out on all 4 axels with one particularly bad. Caster is adjustable with the Jtech but there is no camber adjustment.

Righto, feed back time, had my 56-2 OB wheels aligned today, and as you mention, there is no camber adjustment, the guys who did it have come across it previously, but are a bit miffed, as to why they would set up independent suspension with out camber adjustment...who knows..??

In terms of specs, they informed me that mine was pretty close to being on the money, which is nice to know, he did say that he tried to adjust the alignment to give me the best results, based on not having a camber adjustment....shall see how it goes.

He advised me to keep an eye on tyres and to rotate, or spin the tyres on the rim to achieve best wear all round.....not ideal, but better then spending money on tyres unnecessary...

All in all, prob better to spend the coin on this, then tyres some were up the highway...BTW, it wasn't cheap to have done....

Rooster...

Last edited:

navmatt

Jan 20, 2014
Ayr/Glenden Nth Qld
After twice getting a wheel alignment done at Townsville Jayco and complaining about my right rear wearing badly I finally got a proper job done.... At jayco Townsville....... maybe because i was standing there watching them do it. All they use is a big template along the tyre and chassis, it was 10mm out. Swung a few spanner and shes as good as gold. After it was done and was told it was 10mm, I asked him why it was so far out as I have had two done previously? He remarked that people doing it who don't know what they are doing. He asked where I was taking it to get them done. The smug smile fell of his face when I said "here". Since i had it done the tyre has stopped it scrubbing and wearing, just now its half worn out and the other still like around 90%

Gilmorehappy

Jul 7, 2015
Newcastle
After twice getting a wheel alignment done at Townsville Jayco and complaining about my right rear wearing badly I finally got a proper job done.... At jayco Townsville....... maybe because i was standing there watching them do it. All they use is a big template along the tyre and chassis, it was 10mm out. Swung a few spanner and shes as good as gold. After it was done and was told it was 10mm, I asked him why it was so far out as I have had two done previously? He remarked that people doing it who don't know what they are doing. He asked where I was taking it to get them done. The smug smile fell of his face when I said "here". Since i had it done the tyre has stopped it scrubbing and wearing, just now its half worn out and the other still like around 90%
Hmmmmmm. Interesting story. I suppose the good news is the alignment can be checked and adjusted fairly easily. I'll see if The dealer can do it for us after our next trip; about 1000 km of minor scrubbing to go then b 4 the alignment.........

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Now when you get the alighnment set done correctly, take down the settings, put a datum mark on your chassis, a chisel mark etc, measure to the centre of the tyre and record the answer, do the same for each wheel. Of course you will have to have your measure stick horizontal and rotate the wheel 180 deg to check.
This I think would give you a good indication if things are moving off the line, it does require a bit of accuracy and care.
Wonky bearings, loose backing plates and badly fitted or cheap tyres can all cause problems of course.
If you have chunky tyres and they chop out a bit rotate them and even spin them on the rim before they get too bad.
First up keep all tyres at correct pressure, too low will screw the back axle fast.
This is the place to sort out your pressure........http://caravanchronicles.com/guides/calculate-the-correct-tyre-pressure-for-your-caravan/

Haven't looked at the axle set up on them, I wonder if they would take a shim for the camber ???

Gilmorehappy

Jul 7, 2015
Newcastle
Thanks @Drover . I looked at the tyre pressure calculator on top of the other good info to consider. Its quite good and technical, thus I will have need to have another read in the morning once the 'couple of beers' have 'worn off' :knight::stupid: thanks for the info