Starcraft Replacing tyres on Starcraft

Billnjim

Dec 9, 2015
Secret Harbour
I am seriously considering replacing my Pajero with a Toyota landcruiser (200 series) to become the mule for towing our hopefully soon to arrive 17.58-3OB & country runs. I recently put (as in last February but less then 4k km ago) a set of bfgoodrich a/t on the Pajero being 265/70/16 and was wondering whether I could put these on the new van or would it interfer with the clearances or something else that would result in it being a PIA to do/require replacing components/void warranties - meaning not really worth the effort?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
You would need at least 8"rims to take them if I recall and the van would have either 245 or 255 tyres possibly, someone must have 16"on their rig to show the tyre size..........matching van and tug wheels is an expensive and really waste of money exercise, easier and cheaper if you have a need to just carry a couple of extra tyres and change them yourself.

"Big Mal" has 265 75 x 16 tyres fitted, standard, they are bloody huge and on checking a replacement tyre good for trailers won't set me back more than $200 a tyre........running around with $3000 of rubber for truck and van is , welll..BS.

@davemc , I have a set of 4 ROH 15 x 7"steel rims 3 with 225 70 rubber on them sitting in my shed looking for a home, they came off The Tardis, I sent it away with the original dinky alloy rims on it, the ROH have a 1220kg load rating, an inch wider gives better rubber selection.......they fitted the old rig nicely even though the offset was miles bigger than OE..................but your so, so far away.........:)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Then a 15 x 7"rim with say a 225 75 or 245 70 would give you that little bit more to stop the bum dragging, I went the wider 15"rim so it let me put a wider tyre with better load and also a higher profile for lift.
The ROH had a 80mm offset, well from hub to rim on inside while the OE rim was only about 35mm, but it still left me with over 25mm from the chassis, so if you go shopping use a tape measure and do the figures as you may have a lot of lee way on selection. With wheel off measure from hub to chassis and when you find a rim allow 20mm for tyre belly and if you still have 25mm or more before the chassis it should be good.....2 of my tyres have about 75% left and the 3rd is brand spanking, so if you had a holiday up this way we could fit them and see what they looked like, I'm bound to have a tyre here that would match the bald rim............see what you miss out on living way, way down south............:D:D.....I was just casually looking and a mate had a garage sale and had these near new rims, well couldn't pass em up..............mind you they look like wheel barrow wheels next to Big Mals rollers......:becky:

Reactions: davemc

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Saw a set of 4 of a Expanda in Adelaide could go for a weekend trip :)
Might ask Bayswater when we drop it in next week if they have some laying about.
As said Table bugging me more..
Also need to work out what do do with compliance plate sorry going off topic although yes not sure what happens with plate if you go up a size?.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Nobody looks at the plate so why worry, a lot have the wrong size on them anyway.

Reactions: davemc

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
My VIN plate from factory has 14" tyres on 15" wheels, so can use either size!
I have asked for a new VIN plate, or failing that, the 15" wheels that obviously should be on the van......still waiting for either.

Billnjim

Dec 9, 2015
Secret Harbour
You would need at least 8"rims to take them if I recall and the van would have either 245 or 255 tyres possibly, someone must have 16"on their rig to show the tyre size..........matching van and tug wheels is an expensive and really waste of money exercise, easier and cheaper if you have a need to just carry a couple of extra tyres and change them yourself.

"Big Mal" has 265 75 x 16 tyres fitted, standard, they are bloody huge and on checking a replacement tyre good for trailers won't set me back more than $200 a tyre........running around with $3000 of rubber for truck and van is , welll..BS.

I'm only considering doing it as the current tyres are near new & if I trade the Pajero in on a landcruiser I'd only swap the tyres from the van with the Pajeros not the 16 inch rims - no point going for same sizes on landcruiser and van as the landcruiser has 17 or 18 inch rims and like you, I see it as an unnescessary exercise.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I am seriously considering replacing my Pajero with a Toyota landcruiser (200 series) to become the mule for towing our hopefully soon to arrive 17.58-3OB & country runs. I recently put (as in last February but less then 4k km ago) a set of bfgoodrich a/t on the Pajero being 265/70/16 and was wondering whether I could put these on the new van or would it interfer with the clearances or something else that would result in it being a PIA to do/require replacing components/void warranties - meaning not really worth the effort?

Jayco used to offer 265 in 16"s and stopped just as we ordered our Starcraft. The 16" option is now 245s only but they fit them to 8" rims which are too wide IMO. The rims are0 offset iirc FYI .

So your 265's would be perfect to replace the 245's only thing is the reason Jayco dropped the 265 is they had issues with them rubbing sometimes . When you get your van you'll see why, they mount the inner guards all over the place so you may or may not have the clearance !! I remember on the expanda with beam axle there was 25mm difference with clearance behind the tyre to guard left to right!!? I think in the outback Starcraft the brake cable comes close?

Good luck.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Jayco used to offer 265 in 16"s and stopped just as we ordered our Starcraft. The 16" option is now 245s only but they fit them to 8" rims which are too wide IMO. The rims are0 offset iirc FYI .

So your 265's would be perfect to replace the 245's only thing is the reason Jayco dropped the 265 is they had issues with them rubbing sometimes . When you get your van you'll see why, they mount the inner guards all over the place so you may or may not have the clearance !! I remember on the expanda with beam axle there was 25mm difference with clearance behind the tyre to guard left to right!!? I think in the outback Starcraft the brake cable comes close?

Good luck.
Ill have to have a look at mine tonight im sure they are 245

Reactions: Billnjim

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Ill have to have a look at mine tonight im sure they are 245

Most likley mate every Jayco with optioned 16"s I've noticed are. The 265 option when it was available was a lot more $$$$ too.

I can within a smidgeon of optioning 16"s on the 16:49-3. I think @Billrw136 did? That's a model that should have them standard , especially once you add a few options?

Reactions: mfexpanda

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Most likley mate every Jayco with optioned 16"s I've noticed are. The 265 option when it was available was a lot more $$$$ too.

I can within a smidgeon of optioning 16"s on the 16:49-3. I think @Billrw136 did? That's a model that should have them standard , especially once you add a few options?
Yes 245x70x16 . There's around 25-30mm between the tyre wall and the chassis /wheel arch

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Having just pulled the wheels off "Big Mal" to do a bearing check I can tell you the 265 x 16 wheels are flamin heavy.........spare near killed me lifting it up to put back on the rear carrier ( removed it to fit rear cam easier.)