Exterior Repair Cracked Window

Just the two of us

Mar 19, 2023
Umina Beach, NSW
Both our Journey passenger side bedroom window and the window above toilet have recently cracked by approx 10cm. Have temporarily patched with a high strength clear tape but are seeking advice on a more permanent repair solution. Expect this has been covered in previous threads, but cant find. Anyway please direct me to the appropriate thread or I welcome intel on repair options as we prepare for a forthcoming half lap.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thats a big crack, I would remove the window from the van, just the moving part not the frame, remove the glass and cut some perspex from Bunnings to replace the glass, use new glazing wedge as well, otherwise a glazier, perspex is more tolerable than glass .............. Often break from distortion when opening when one side sticks otherwise its from severe wall movement, or a lawn mower................ A straight crack that long you could try running some super glue over it, scrape off residue later with the edge of a stanley knife blade but it would still creep longer I reckon .... give all your windows a bit of lube as well...... caravansplus has window removal instructions.

Just the two of us

Mar 19, 2023
Umina Beach, NSW
In surfing for solutions, I came across a company in England who specialize in glues and solvents for various purposes.

Their scientific technician recommended a solvent called Dichloromethane that he says suits a very fine hairline crack that requires a thinner version to "wick" into the crack.

A internet search shows that this is also known as Methylene Chloride and is one potentially hard-core risky chemical that has been banned in the US and appears to be selectively available in Australia. It's somewhat telling when some paint stripper manufacturers market that their product is Methylene Chloride free.

Think I will pass on this option.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
In surfing for solutions, I came across a company in England who specialize in glues and solvents for various purposes.

Their scientific technician recommended a solvent called Dichloromethane that he says suits a very fine hairline crack that requires a thinner version to "wick" into the crack.

A internet search shows that this is also known as Methylene Chloride and is one potentially hard-core risky chemical that has been banned in the US and appears to be selectively available in Australia. It's somewhat telling when some paint stripper manufacturers market that their product is Methylene Chloride free.

Think I will pass on this option.

Pretty much agree with that, not much use if you can't rectify the why though in a vehicle as it will only happen again, Ive done the perspex thing and not great long term really...... Gaffa tape even shorter term...... :becky: