Electrical Removing top marker light

Big Al

Jul 23, 2012
Hi all I was just wandering if any body has removed the top marker light on 2012 expanda outback.I am getting ready to put a reverse camera and will need to feed wire to top from the bottom.Iwas going to remove the top light to make it easier to feed the wire to the middle of the van where I will have to drill a hole.I started to try an remove light but it seemed to be very tight.There must be a trick to it.Thanks in advance for your help.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
What model mate?

With the 16.49:3 I ran up around the bed frame and into the top cupboard and down to the centre and out?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Better to put up a pic of the light some of them you have to gently move the clip on the sides to pop the led out then you have 2 screws to remove the plastic facia. If it is the type described be very careful as the plastic clip part can snap off when they get a big of age on them, I've just used silastic to stick the light back in. Mind you I took mine off for the same reason but couldn't get my cable to run down the inside, something is blocking so cam is sitting on the number plate until I find another way that doesn't require big mods.

Big Al

Jul 23, 2012
Hi Jim did you run the cable under the van and then drill a hole up through the floor to bring the cable inside.Another question I wanted to ask .Has any body used the safety Dave reverse camera and if so any good or bad reviews

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Better to put up a pic of the light some of them you have to gently move the clip on the sides to pop the led out then you have 2 screws to remove the plastic facia. If it is the type described be very careful as the plastic clip part can snap off when they get a big of age on them, I've just used silastic to stick the light back in. Mind you I took mine off for the same reason but couldn't get my cable to run down the inside, something is blocking so cam is sitting on the number plate until I find another way that doesn't require big mods.
I thought that most Expandas have fiberglass sandwich with foam in-between so there is no gap to push a wire through.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
With a bed at the rear it's only a moulded panel and the sides bits have hollow section where you should be able to pass a cable, walls are sandwich jobs which when you look at them you really wonder, how it holds up.

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
Not sure what type of lights you have fitted but if there the same as 2010 model they clip into the plastic surround. You need to lift and pry from the side. the thing that will make easy or hard is the amount of silicon used to seal the wires in the hole. I have just replaced all clearance lamps due to the plastic breaking while trying to remove mine, mostly due to silastic over use. Also be careful when pulling wires through the holes as my connections had to come out 1 at a time and they were a tight fit. If you pull to hard they may pull out from each other, then it becomes a rescue mission.

Good luck.

Reactions: Drover

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi Jim did you run the cable under the van and then drill a hole up through the floor to bring the cable inside.Another question I wanted to ask .Has any body used the safety Dave reverse camera and if so any good or bad reviews
we ran our cable under the van and just attached low to rear bumper. works fine for us and I did not have to drill :) Been happy with the Safety Dave,we brought at the show the cable was not long enough when we got the van. Rang them and they expressed out a new cable to us for free. We got the kit with the numberplate cam for the back of the Discovery as well and leave the monitor on all the time

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011

hi Al

our system was a safety dave, very good imo although the monitor sometimes doesn't want to stick to the window! on our next van it will be hooked to a hema navigator which will serve as both off road GPS and front cam for those offroad situations. which camera did you get, we used the eyeball type but "dave" reckons the barrel type are better in low light. we used ours for the entire time we had the van, in low light around dusk it was average and at night glare got the better of it. also I found you had to adjust the brightness on the screen pending time of day. the sound is a wank, yes it works but it also amplifies all the road noise when travelling!

I ran the cable in the hole on the drawbar and then suspended along the chassis in 25mm flex conduit, this stuff is like bullet proof. then up in the rear corner through the boot and alongside the bed opening frame in some 25mm x 19mm box conduit. you would hardly know it was there. for about 3"s out of the conduit and around into the top cupboard and out the centre as the photos will show. for some reason I cant find all the shots! be aware there is a wire lurking in the centre behind the fiberglass so go carefully.

Sml Van reverse cam (10).jpg
Sml Van reverse cam (10).jpg

Attachments

• Sml Van reverse cam (5).jpg
    Sml Van reverse cam (5).jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 237
  • Sml Van reverse cam (3).jpg
    Sml Van reverse cam (3).jpg
    80 KB · Views: 234
  • Sml Van reverse cam (4).jpg
    Sml Van reverse cam (4).jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 221

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I made a wedge to get the camera looking further down. the barrel type would be better here but not a neat looking imo.

Attachments

• Sml Van reverse cam (3).jpg
    Sml Van reverse cam (3).jpg
    80 KB · Views: 202
  • Sml Van reverse cam (6).jpg
    Sml Van reverse cam (6).jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 228
  • Sml Van reverse cam (7).jpg
    Sml Van reverse cam (7).jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 223
  • Sml Van reverse cam (8).jpg
    Sml Van reverse cam (8).jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 204

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
and then this is what your trying to do, see onto the distance for traffic but have an idea what is behind you for backing.

Attachments

• Sml Van reverse cam (1).jpg
    Sml Van reverse cam (1).jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 255
  • Sml Van reverse cam (2).jpg
    Sml Van reverse cam (2).jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 232

Big Al

Jul 23, 2012
Thanks for all your replys.I think I have all the information I need to fit the camera. I m going to get the 7" camera that clips onto the rear vision mirror which will run all the time when van on .i think running the wire through the inside is going to be easier.

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
Safety dave I have fitted a lot of his camaras prob one a week they seem to be good not had one come back

Big Al

Jul 23, 2012
Hi Brotys have you fitted camera to 16.49.1 expanda.If you have can you explained how you run you're wires