Electrical Relocating Suburban HWS Gas On/Off Switch

grinner914

Aug 3, 2011
Bacchus Marsh VIC
We have a 16.49.2, and the On / Off switch for the Gas ignition is located on the panel under the dinette seat, right where the kids can accidentally kick it on when they are sitting at the table. Has anyone successfully moved the location of this switch? I am think probably some where closer to the kitchen sink area.

I think it has 4 wire connections from memory, my concern is if I extend the wiring (it will be going to the other side of the van) will it affect the operation.

Thanks

Jason

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Should work fine . I think the switch to turn the electric element on is in an even worse position .
Having to go outside and open the unit then look everywhere for that hidden switch :der:

Reactions: skippy and dagree

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I've relocated mine. It was in a very similar position down low on the dinette facing the door. I extended the wires and using a piece of yellow tongue I ran the wires up next to the battery switch. IIRC I used a piece of 5 core trailer wire for the 4 wires, soldered and heat shrinked. I then bought a blank power point to cover the hole where the old switch was.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I could never figure out why Jayco put them down that low, maybe to save wire to cut costs :crazy:

You can also cover the switch if small plastic box with lid. remove switch drill hole in box of the appropriate size for the wires and screws, refit switch job done .

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
I'm with you and also asked Jayco to move on ordering but didn't so I had to do it and then sent them a bill!

Easy job but just time consuming, colour code the wires and you won't have an issue.

Christian

Put a power point in the old location
DSCN8457 (Small).JPG
DSCN8469 (Small).JPG

Reactions: skippy

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Or.....
Drill a small 1mm hole through the rocker switch....
And push through it a small split pin.
Worked a treat for me and kept it secure and off the gas when previously it had been accidentally kicked on!

grinner914

Aug 3, 2011
Bacchus Marsh VIC
Thanks for the replies everyone, after think about it a bit more, I should probably move the switch for the Pump, and the location of my water flow meter and Volt / Amp meter at the same time, to the same place, make an "Expanda Command Centre".
I will start planning, and acquiring the parts, so I can do this when their is daylight after work and it is a bit warmer too.

Jason

Reactions: mfexpanda