Electrical REDARC Error (red flashing) / Power feed to Pin 2 (related??) - 2018 Jayco Swan

Glenn_75

Aug 30, 2020
Country WA
Hi all, first time poster on the forum, hoping someone can help or provide guidance. I’m no expert in any stretch on electrical things and can only provide how I understand my issue.

I’ve recently had a REDARC Tow-Pro elite v3 installed to my 2012 Holden Colorado RG LTZ, which i had installed as we have purchased a used 2018 Jayco Swan Outback.

We have the wiring for the Jayco Swan fridge that would normally go through pins 9and10 put through an Anderson plug, whilst Pin 2 is the 12v supply to the battery management system in the Jayco Swan as per Jayco’s wiring guide.

Everything works fine and then intermittently we have the red flashing error/issue on the REDARC which indicates an earth issue somewhere via REDARC’s website. If I turn the car off, remove the plug and wait a minute, then connect back up and head off driving again everything is back to normal, and then just as random at some stage I get the red flashing on the REDARC again.

When the installer disconnects the 12v power feed wire from the trailer plug via pin2 we don’t experience the issue at all at any stage. Why would taking out the wire to pin 2 in the Jayco Swan Plug eliminate the issue?

The installer has double checked all of his work and claims the earthing issue is in the Jayco Swan somewhere, pointing towards it being an issue in the brakes themselves on the Jayco Swan.

Has anyone come across this issue before or can provide any guidance?

Appreciate anything anyone can provide to try and help me understand.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi all, first time poster on the forum, hoping someone can help or provide guidance. I’m no expert in any stretch on electrical things and can only provide how I understand my issue.

I’ve recently had a REDARC Tow-Pro elite v3 installed to my 2012 Holden Colorado RG LTZ, which i had installed as we have purchased a used 2018 Jayco Swan Outback.

We have the wiring for the Jayco Swan fridge that would normally go through pins 9and10 put through an Anderson plug, whilst Pin 2 is the 12v supply to the battery management system in the Jayco Swan as per Jayco’s wiring guide.

Everything works fine and then intermittently we have the red flashing error/issue on the REDARC which indicates an earth issue somewhere via REDARC’s website. If I turn the car off, remove the plug and wait a minute, then connect back up and head off driving again everything is back to normal, and then just as random at some stage I get the red flashing on the REDARC again.

When the installer disconnects the 12v power feed wire from the trailer plug via pin2 we don’t experience the issue at all at any stage. Why would taking out the wire to pin 2 in the Jayco Swan Plug eliminate the issue?

The installer has double checked all of his work and claims the earthing issue is in the Jayco Swan somewhere, pointing towards it being an issue in the brakes themselves on the Jayco Swan.

Has anyone come across this issue before or can provide any guidance?

Appreciate anything anyone can provide to try and help me understand.

Welcome to the forum @Glenn_75 . I have a 2011 RC Colorado and a 2013 Penguin, so electrics would be the same or close. I too have a separate heavy cable with Anderson to Anderson plugs tug/van and a 12 pin plug for rest. If it really is an earthing issue, I would be looking at the earth connection on van plug and also on tug connection. ALL earth return connections to TUG must be to vehicle chassis NOT to neg on battery. Also, as the #2 pin wire connects to the van distribution box (BMpro or Setec) and charges the van battery whilst connected to tug, it could well be a loose connection there.
Also, as it affects the Red Arc warning light, could it be that one of the electric brake pads is worn and occasionally shorting out the brake line. Also check wiring from van connection to brake electro magnet for damage to wiring underneath van. You will have to remove wheel and brake drum to check wear on electro magnets for van. Some ideas for a start.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Since no breakaway, which I didn't think it would thats one thing sorted................

Since it would appear its happening when the unit is doing its "hooked up" check, I would go straight to the trailer plug, remove, clean and refit each wire, open the pins up a fraction when you do, check brake connection on wheels, not a lookie check, unplug, clean and plug back together, that way you know the terminals are clean and if the spade fittings don't fall off they are crimped okay.....as Boots said it could be a nicked or crushed wire inside the brake drum, they can often get damaged, so if the rest looks okay, pull off the drum and have a close look at the wires as they could be earthing out on the swing arm....

Also its still happens that installers connect the Brake Controller to brake light switches or light circuits, on the RG it needs to be connected via a Colorado tow pack harness or direct to the brake light pin on the trailer plug or faults will be thrown....with power picked up from battery ideally....... I'm very familiar with the RG..

Glenn_75

Aug 30, 2020
Country WA
Thanks all.

All the wiring in the Colorado has been done correctly as far as I’m aware (earthing points, power, brake pickup etc).

Have replaced the plug on the Swan and all connections there are solid, that didn’t fix it.

Going to move onto the brakes and wiring in those areas with the help of my mechanic.

If that fails it might be on to an Auto Electrician to see if he can find the problem area.

Will keep you all informed as to the progress later in the week/the weekend.

Appreciate the points to start looking at!!