20' Series Rear view camera mounting options

MadMapMan

Dec 28, 2015
Adelaide
Looking for ideas for how to neatly mount this DigOptions camera onto my Jayco 20.64-1 Expanda. Reference picture of 20.64-1 rear attached.

Ideally, it needs to be above the rear bed and (preferably) in the centre - although folk may have other opinions

Here are things I've thought of:
  • Bolt camera directly onto van under high level stop light and drown in silicon. This is my 'last resort' option. Practical, but looks ugly (and triggers my 'neat-freak' OCD!)
  • Replace LED stop-light with this unit from SVS and mount camera on that. Nice solution, but centre bracket is too narrow for dual cam. Maybe adapt the SVS light?
  • Replace LED stop-light with two shorter LED's and mount camera(s) between the two LED's
  • Install a housing like this and mount a (black) camera inside. Problem: housing is designed for Furrion camera, but it may fit my dual cam
  • Going for a completely different camera (this one is great, but not shipped/supported outside UK). Problem: I've already ordered the DigOptions camera.
  • Make a 'T' bracket that will sandwich between the high level stop light and the van, but extend down so that I can mount the dual-cam on that.
Because one of the dual cameras is 45-degrees designed for rear-view & always on, I need to consider wobble & vibration so that the picture is usable.

Overall, I want this to be a neat installation, so any suggests are welcome. This site is full of smart people with ingenious and clever ideas...

Attachments

• DSC05911_small.jpg
    DSC05911_small.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 412
Reactions: Delano

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Hi @MadMapMan . I have a 21-64 and mounted mine above the red light. I used a stack of the sticky stuff (marine sika) and screwed it in. I ran the wired along the top, again all sticky stuff used, and then ran it down the channel. Was told by our auto elecky that this was the easiest option, and it was. Even a girl like me can do it!!!! ran wires under van and then used electrical tape to tape it to the 12v pin and anderson plug. Was really easy to do, At least there were no panels to remove, like the car.
The camera has survived alot of bumps and stuff and hasnt moved a mm.

Attachments

• IMG_0606.jpg
    IMG_0606.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_0607.jpg
    IMG_0607.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 412

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
on the 17.58 I had I just attached it to the rear bumper.. worked ok.
the 22.68 I have it bolted through the middle of the spare wheel.
Both ways I did not have to drill holes in the van :)
Although dual cameras not so sure it be a good place.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
While I didn't have the same van, on my 14 I just drilled a hole and fed a wire along to the clearance light wiring loom, a grommet behind the light mount which was screwed onto the body, no need for heaps of silastic and it looked better than an original with your set up remove the red light and use it's cable to run the camera cable, replace the led stop light and mount the cam above or below it, feed the cam cable thru a grommet in the body behind the cam mount braket, a few dobs of silastic for the grommet and screws, neat job should be easy, just feed yur cam cables along the same run as all the others.
If you have a decent mount for the camera vibration shouldn't be an issue, though if you are looking at having 2 cams, one as a reversing cam (120deg) and one as always on like a rear view (90deg) then mounting the reversing cam up high will be a waste of time...............as you won't really see anything, I just use 90 deg cams on van and ute, always on and on the ute back onto the ball first time, as well as see the Kenworth 2 kms away....

Dogger

Jun 3, 2016
Wallerawang
Try what I have done, drill 2 holes for grommets, remove stop light and rhs clearance light use a yellow snake and run the cable in the rear mould with tail light wires. This took a bit of patience but does look neat.
78590BC4-A185-4A9D-948E-58FCD9E79F0F.jpeg

Reactions: MadMapMan

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
Hi Dogger, I like the LED lights on the back as well. Have you hooked them in to come on in reverse or with a separate switch??

MadMapMan

Dec 28, 2015
Adelaide
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I'll hopefully have some time to look at options this weekend - and when I make a decision, I'll post details back.

Please keep the thoughts and ideas coming...

Dogger

Jun 3, 2016
Wallerawang
Hi Dogger, I like the LED lights on the back as well. Have you hooked them in to come on in reverse or with a separate switch??
I did hook them up to the reverse only as I didn’t think I had the need for anything else, I did however find that the door handle and annex light came on when in reverse as well so I found the wire and cut it so they don’t come on in reverse.

Reactions: Red1

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
Cheers Dogger, lookalike my next projectsomething else fo4 SWMBO to shake her head at. According to her and the kids the jobs never stop.....