Quick question - Hard Lid Water Proof Bed Ends

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
We're getting a local to make some water proof bed ends for us. We have opted for vinyl, with zippered corners and on sail track. They will be used for wet weather protection, and when we want to run the heater or airconditioner. My question is that the sail track will be put along the 'lipped' areas under the lid which leave a gap of about 15-20cm along the side to the front (where there is no lip, and then again for the short sections where the lid locks are.... do you think these gaps will cause any issues? I image that there are greater gaps with the press stud method but just wanted some feedback on what you all think.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hi Andrea,
I am trying to picture your design.
So two questions.
1. Have you got a link to a pic of the sail track?
2. When you talk about lipped section, do you mean the built up thicker sections on the underside of the lid?

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Hi Brad,

I can answer number 2. Yes the sail track will be along the built up thicker section only.
I don't have a photo for question 1. The vinyl and canvas man will be installing it.

ETA I've got to go to the gym now so will be back later if you have more questions.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Ok...
So I think it is good that the track is at least attached to the lip. But if you take a look at the curve of the lid, what you need to make sure of is that the sides finish as hard up to the end of the van (which means the side touching the van needs to be made on an angle) and the top corner of the fabric finishes past the round edge of the lid. Doing this will ensure rain will drip on the outside of the bed end and not inside. To get a visual of this, go and get a bucket of water and if you can, tip it on the top of the opened lid. Take note of where the water leaves the lid closest to the van. Your fabric needs to be on the inside of that natural water drop.
Second, is the track curved and as such a single track? Or is the track made in three sections? I think I can understand your concerns where there is no lip on the corners.

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Thanks Brad. I have emailed some more questions given your insight above. We are preparing for Victorian weather in a couple of weeks time :) We survived two 150mm nights in a row here in queensland without any concerns but it was summer and we didn't need doonas etc..... I'm also on the outside edge under the canvas so want the extra insulation from the COLD!

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Andrea I wont have the van uncovered until Saturday, but if I remember I will get you some photos of our setup. I fastened sail track along inside the hardlid with parts in the side bits. It is hard to describe and a pic will tell more. You can make the sail track follow the curve gently.