Electrical Questions About Expanda Electrics and other things

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Hi All,
We are expecting to pick up our 14.44.4 OB in approx. 2 weeks and I have some questions that hopefully the brains trust can answer that a forum search couldn't.
What items in the van work on 12V apart from the 12V outlets and lights.

Is there an invertor of some description to allow use of the microwave when off the grid

When people are using the small fan heaters and column oil heaters is this only when 240V is available

I got a copy of the Jayco recommended wiring diagram for 12 pin plugs but it doesn't show what pins for the ESC only the fridge. Any ideas.

Is there a schematic wiring diagram on the 14ft van to see how the fridge is wired in relation to the trailer plug, solar etc.

What would be a better sized caravan cover the 12-14ft or the 14-16ft

If one was to buy a generator (for short term use on cloudy days of course) what is more preferred a 1kVA or 2kVA

Once the van gets home and the mods start:D I am thinking of reverting back to a 7 pin plug and installing a grey Anderson plug for fridge (Prado has Anderson on the towbar already) and a red Anderson for the ESC (Prado will have a 30A circuit from battery on pins 9 & 10 in the 12 pin plug) Thoughts????

Any idea on the weight limit on the rear bar for the bike rack (4 bikes) and/or might relocate the spare + a second spare

When is the first service due, how long does it take and is it complimentary.

Is there room in the 14ft to mount a second battery. I am thinking of taking the 2 x 120Ah aux batteries out of the Prado and installing in the van as they are a matched pair and put the Jayco battery in the Prado for the ARB fridge.

I have read the two threads by The Buckleys and Holden_man and their replies on what to check for at delivery so that has been helpful so thanks to everyone that contributed.

Reactions: BrettJess

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
in my case these would be the answers for my 16.49-1 , 12v lights and fridge and 12v outlets. fridge 12v gas or 240v.
microwave, heaters etc only when on grid 240v or generator 2kva. i don't have ESC.
Use the 12 pin plug but have separated the fridge wires out to anderson plug.
cover would go 14 -16ft for the ease of getting it on and covering whatever u may mount on the back in future.

genny 2kva, my preference is for a honda, always had honda stuff without hiccups.

all the best for the new van, and i am sure the Brains trust as u put it, will answer what i haven't.

enjoy.

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
"What items in the van work on 12V apart from the 12V outlets and lights" - water pump, range hood

"Is there an invertor of some description to allow use of the microwave when off the grid" - No

"When people are using the small fan heaters and column oil heaters is this only when 240V is available" - Yes

"What would be a better sized caravan cover the 12-14ft or the 14-16ft" - we have same as yours

"If one was to buy a generator (for short term use on cloudy days of course) what is more preferred a 1kVA or 2kVA" - We have 2kVa Honda, it wont run our Heron 2 air con.

We have seven pin plug for lights, power etc + anderson plug for ESC

"Any idea on the weight limit on the rear bar for the bike rack (4 bikes) and/or might relocate the spare + a second spare" - MY OPINION is that anything you put on front or back makes the van "whip" more

"When is the first service due, how long does it take and is it complimentary" - same day for us, not complimentary

Hope you have many enjoyable trips ahead

Reactions: MDS69

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
What jeff said plus.............if you want to run the micro wave or heaters you won't get an inverter to do it, well if you got a big bugga yes but your batteries would last about 5 mins. They need 240v and using a genny to run a heater, a 2kva minimum but it would be working unless you had the heat on low, I use the Honda for general power duties, charging the batteries, it will run the microwave for quick jobs but never have the need. Use gas for HWS and fridge when off the grid with solar to top up the batteries, genny spends a lot of time in it's box.
I use a 12pin, juice to fridge and spare pins run my rear camera lead, thought about anderson plug but haven't seen a need yet, one less thing to forget to unplug.

Reactions: MDS69

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Hi @MDS69

We have a 14.44-4 OB as well so can answer or elaborate one some of the replies already given...

What would be a better sized caravan cover the 12-14ft or the 14-16ft - We have the Coast to Coast 14-16 foot cover. Covers well and can tie nice and securely. I think the 12-14 would be a pain in the a## to pull down as would be a tight fit.

If one was to buy a generator (for short term use on cloudy days of course) what is more preferred a 1kVA or 2kVA - We have the Honda 2kva. Runs everything (we don't have a microwave) including our Heron 2.2 air con - but not in heat mode as the element draws 2400w. To be honest the 2kva is overkill for the van if not running the air con, but figured better to get the bigger for the difference in price at the time for future possible uses. That and SWMBO wants to now take her Thermomix when we go on long trips.

Once the van gets home and the mods start:D I am thinking of reverting back to a 7 pin plug and installing a grey Anderson plug for fridge (Prado has Anderson on the towbar already) and a red Anderson for the ESC (Prado will have a 30A circuit from battery on pins 9 & 10 in the 12 pin plug) Thoughts???? I had to do this to ours as our car only had the 7pin round already with Anderson. With the Challenger, it was changed to 7pin flat but kept the Anderson for the fridge - works well. The fridge has a low voltage disconnect so don't have to disconnect when stopping for any periods.

Any idea on the weight limit on the rear bar for the bike rack (4 bikes) and/or might relocate the spare + a second spare - You will find you cannot put ANYTHING onto the bar or will void warranty - unless they have finally changed this.

When is the first service due, how long does it take and is it complimentary. - I think ours was at 1000klm and no for us was not free. But others on here have been able to get it for free when purchasing the van.

Is there room in the 14ft to mount a second battery. I am thinking of taking the 2 x 120Ah aux batteries out of the Prado and installing in the van as they are a matched pair and put the Jayco battery in the Prado for the ARB fridge. Ours didn't come with a battery so had to put it in ourselves. You could put one under each seat but will depend on how much space you want to loose. There are always spaces for it, but just comes down to personal choice that suits and also remember the weight.

Hope this helps, but if any other question ask away.

BJ

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Why do you need 2 batteries in the van ? I have 1 and it runs lights, TV and Engel including the odd phone charge no problem with an 80w panel topping it up during the day. If you add up what power you will use you probably don't need the weight of another battety in van, led lights use buggerall. Your fridge won't run off your van battery at any time, it can't.

Last edited:

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide

We have a 14.44-5 OB

What would be a better sized caravan cover the 12-14ft or the 14-16ft - We have the Coast to Coast 14-16 foot cover. Covers well and can tie nice and securely.

If one was to buy a generator (for short term use on cloudy days of course) what is more preferred a 1kVA or 2kVA - We have 2kVA as well. Also agree that it might seem as overkill but when we had an extended power failure at home (4 1/2 days last summer) dragged it out and was able run power inside the house to keep our house fridge going as well as small light and the TV!
Have also used it when free camping to run A/C and recharge battery. No sun for a few days.

Any idea on the weight limit on the rear bar for the bike rack (4 bikes) and/or might relocate the spare + a second spare - We were able to mount spare on the back. Was assessed as strong enough and able to take the weight, balanced this by mounting Twin JC holders on the front and installing a wire basket in the old spare wheel tray to carry annexe canvases. See my thread for details

When is the first service due, how long does it take and is it complimentary. - Ours was at 1000klm and was free.
Adl Jayco are very good with things like that.

Is there room in the 14ft to mount a second battery. I am thinking of taking the 2 x 120Ah aux batteries out of the Prado and installing in the van as they are a matched pair and put the Jayco battery in the Prado for the ARB fridge. Ours OB was a show special, came with Solar panel on roof, battery and all required wiring. We added control panel for dual tanks, also had dual gas bottles as the 14.44-5 has full onSuite so also had HWS.
Marv

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well @MDS69, this week is nearly done and it's nearly time........................................................don't know how you can handle the waiting, I would have to buy one off the lot the waiting months would drive me nuts.

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
To BJ, Colin&Sue, Drover, Marv and jeff thanks for your replies, especially the detailed ones.

Drover the idea of the second battery was to extend off the grid stays but I forgot the fridge runs on gas when stationary. I am use to using a folding solar panel kit and chasing the sun to recharge.

Yes the wait is killing me and should be soon but I haven't had "the call" yet to organise a day for delivery. First weekend away is planned, well it was planned before we ordered, as we have the CT to fall back on.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep, yep, I use a portable panel then I can park in shade but still get full sun where it's needed, I wish I had kept my CT for those fast runs up the beach for a day or two.
With no solar I could get 3 days from my single battery running the Engel as the main fridge ( in CT) and a couple of lights added the panel and plenty of power, now in the van the battery stays full with the 80w panel keeping it good running the lights, TV, water pump, the old Engel (beer fridge) charging the tablet and phones, I suppose if you were running an inverter a lot to get 240 for TV and Computers then you may need 2 batteries and a big panel, the inverters chew a fair bit of power.
I have only ever used a Marine battery for camping (40 yrs) mainly because when it's charged up it would start whatever 4x4 I had and they have seemed to lasted as long as a deep cycle ???????

Reactions: Marv_mart

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
I also have a 80w portable solar panel and running our van with the fusion stereo (which I have now changed to a sony media unit) most of the day and it is usually charged by lunch time. I am going to get a panel put onto the roof. This is so for longer stays it tops up quicker with the two panels and can keep the engel running with no problems. Also for the quick weekend I don't have to be packing the portable panel. We only have the one 120ah battery.

Reactions: Dooku and Drover

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
After ready a few replies I was curious why our Honda 2 would not run the Heron 2.2 so I sent off an email to Air Command with this reply

"The minimum recommended generator capacity for any Aircommand unit is 2.8Kva and the gen set should deliver the smoothest possible sine wave.
There has never been a heron 2.2 designed specifically to run on a Honda 2.
Rotary compressors as used in our air conditioners, are just like motor car engines for example. They are manufactured to a dimensional tolerance, thus some are slightly tighter than others which may account for some people being able to run a Honda 2 successfully.
The risk however is that in demandingly hot weather, any gen set will lose some efficiency and the air conditioner will require a bigger kick start in the same conditions. This leaves the customer at risk of being disappointed when they need the air conditioner most.
Hopefully this explains sufficiently why we recommend nothing less than a 2.8Kva gen set dedicated solely to the air conditioner with nothing else drawing from it, not even a battery charger."

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well @jeff that s very interesting, I only tested my Honda on the A/C never used it to run it normally, so just assumed she'd be good to go but then if I needed the A/C I wouldn't be running a genny for all day anyway, just go swimming or bugga off.

Reactions: bigcol