Push Button Drawer locks failing

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Had a Penguin OB before and upgraded to a 14.4-5 OB. Found that in both vans, push button drawer lock just won't operate properly. On last trip had to fiddle with lifting the drawer and repeatedly pushing the button until it finally held.
Anybody else with this problem? Solutions?

pomtony

Oct 30, 2013
hi marv, im interested in a solution too as we have 1 of these locks on our 17 and i had an awfull time getting it to close and latch
at this stage i havent pulled it apart or even looked into it
cheers
tony

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Had a bunch of them replaced during warranty - waiting to see how long they will last and very interested is a solution other than carrying spares!

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
I also have had issues. I found I really needed to be vigilant when placing items in the cupboards to ensure nothing was touching the catches or apply pressure to the doors. They are a very vulnerable item. I would like to see an alternative type catch.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Sorry marv... Just realized my previous post only covered my old van and forgot the new ones are plastic. I have had issues with the old and newer plastic versions, but even with the plastic version I managed to fix it with a bit of sandpaper and sanding the back end of the catch till the lock worked better.

Reactions: blacky

daznmel

Oct 21, 2013
Hi All. I have been looking at this site for some time.. However about time I started contributing to discussions.
It is a great site for getting ideas and tips.
I had a Jayco Swan, and upgraded to the Expanda 17.56.1, 2 months ago.
I have had the exact same problem with the cupboard latches in the Swan, and as Brad pointed out, a gentle bending of the metal latch with the pliers had done the trick for me.
So far I have not had an issue in the Expanda latches.
Cheers
Darren

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Particular issue is he round push button type on the drawers. Pushing in the button is supposed to engage the small metal catch but often doesn't even after repeated pushing. Afraid it might come undone during travel and end up damaging drawer, contents.
Darren, did you bend it more or straighten the curved tongue on the catch?
No need to do anything to the button bits?

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Marv,
If you can observe the push button work every time as you expect while the draw is open then the button is fine.
It will then be the positioning of the metal latch that needs adjusting.

Reactions: blacky

shippy

Mar 24, 2019
Cockatoo Victoria.
Marv,
If you can observe the push button work every time as you expect while the draw is open then the button is fine.
It will then be the positioning of the metal latch that needs adjusting.
Had this problem and discovered that there is a nylon piece that has two grab points that loses it's ability to hold position for the mail key that locks the lug into position. You can bend them back to original tension and operates as new. When you remove the main locking section give it a shake and if it rattles you have found the problem. Use a flat bladed blunt knife and lift the 4 pronged nylon cap off the unit. Pull out the nylon positioning unit that sits at the other end of the unit and bend the two spreaders back to the original tension so it still moves in its slot. Happy days and no hard earned wasted. Geoff.