Electrical Pump not working

Martin

Jan 11, 2015
Sydney
Hi All,
Have an April 2015 14.44 5 expanda outback. We are on the 9 week of our trip and the pump would not switch on when we pulled up tonight! Fuse is Ok and the light works on the switch but that is all. Any suggestions as we are in Charleville Qld and not repairers for caravans. Cheers

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Probably not to much you should do before reporting it to Jayco and getting some direction from them. (Warranty wise)

I wouldnt be able to wait, and would disconnect the wiring from the pump, open a tap and connect direct to the battery. At least youll get some idea if its the pump or wiring

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
check the simple things. Do you have water in the tank. Does the pump make a noise at all when turned on. Your pump is probably under the front seat. Open up the storage area and have a poke around to check connection, both electrical and water.

Martin

Jan 11, 2015
Sydney
Plenty of water in both tanks and not noise at all when switched on. Will have another look in morning at both connections. Thank you

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Bloody nuisance. Our fridge wouldnt fire on gas on our 2 month old van .... and discovered this the first warm free camping night heading north.

If i could have laid my hands around a Jayco reps neck, i would have ...... spoke very very hashly

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
First off start at the pump you will need to check the connectors, just because they are hooked together doesn't mean they are electrically connected Jayco don't do very good crimps on cables, just follow the wire back to the Setek you may find it's unplugged itself.

Actually I didn't think there was a light on the pump switch only on the hot water switch when you are using gas...............

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Bloody nuisance. Our fridge wouldnt fire on gas on our 2 month old van .... and discovered this the first warm free camping night heading north.

If i could have laid my hands around a Jayco reps neck, i would have ...... spoke very very hashly

Same happened to us @Crusty181 . Our shakedown trip was the Oct long weekend last year. It was my birthday as well so the wife got a icecream cake (for the kids of course). Woke up Sat morning to see the icecream cake running across the floor. Fridge pilot light worked but the main jet was 100% blocked. Had to throw all the meat out as well. Lucky we were only an hour from home so got the ARB fridge in the car and restocked.

Reactions: Crusty181

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
when you check the wiring, also check the hoses themselves, and also if the water connections are not blocked with something.........

I think I will be checking my pump now - never used it yet in 2 yrs

Reactions: Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Same happened to us @Crusty181 . Our shakedown trip was the Oct long weekend last year. It was my birthday as well so the wife got a icecream cake (for the kids of course). Woke up Sat morning to see the icecream cake running across the floor. Fridge pilot light worked but the main jet was 100% blocked. Had to throw all the meat out as well. Lucky we were only an hour from home so got the ARB fridge in the car and restocked.
Bugger. Mrs Crusty likes to cast a magic spell that makes her invisible when I crack the $hits (I can actually see her, but I pretend I can't). In a tantrum, I ripped apart the back of the fridge and with the invisible Mrs Crusty pushing the fridge buttons on command, I managed to get the mongrel running with matches (forgot the damned lighter to, which didn't help with the mood)

Reactions: mfexpanda and MDS69

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
how did you go @Martin . As @Drover suggested check the electrical connections at the pump. If you can get your hands on a multimeter see if you have voltage there. Even though your pump is not that old it is possible it could be cactus which would be a bugger.

Martin

Jan 11, 2015
Sydney
No good at this stage. The way it has been installed, especially the way the wiring has been done does not leave me anyway of checking connections! Some of the cables are under the pump. Will keep trying on my way home to get someone to look at it. Cheers

Martin

Jan 11, 2015
Sydney
Arrive home yesterday and with the expanda parked outside the house, a steep street, I switched on the pump for some reason and to my amazemet on it came!!! Any thoughts as too why? Cheers

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
1. Dirty contact.
2. Crap jamming it, thusly the gentle tap was provided by the road.

Would go over all the cables/connectors, if as you said the cables are running under it or something pull pump out and run the wires in a better position. They never seem to take much care with their cable runs just throw them in and the run is usually not long enough to allow for any flex so you may have a connection moving.
Also pressure switch might have jammed so pump won't run while it has over a certain amount of pressure in line, bouncing road might have sorted it.

How long is a piece of string............

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just thought about the wiring in my van,check the switch the connections may be loose, I had it on a switch.