Preferred Towing Speed

Klugerclan

Aug 31, 2011
So what speed does everyone tow at ?

On our recent trip along Princes Highway from Melbourne to Narooma pulling our 17.56.1 we would cruise on the flat stuff at 95 to 100 kmh (best for economy), but when we hit the hilly stuff (and some big steep long hills at that) I ended up going quicker, having a run-up at the hills and the the Kluger would hold at 95 - 100 kmh in third (about 4000 rpm).

If I went slower we would end up in second and each hill would take infinitely longer (and I thought be using considerably more fuel).

I appreciate that everyones set ups are different, diesel / petrol etc, but there are many members here with similar car / van combos and thought might be some worthwhile responses.

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
I know I am probably going to get an ear bashing, but I usually sit between 100-110kph as the tug prefers it. Van tows exceptionally well and I have never had any nervous moments in it, I think the simplicity suspension helps with the ride also. As soon as I start going slower and back down to 4th for the hills (happens more ofter towing 90-100) the fuel economy goes through the roof. I end up catching caravans when I travel at 110Kph, and have had one person (who was doing 90kph in a 100zone not towing) get on the radio and say "I though caravans were only supposed to do 80!" in a sarcastic tone. Best advise is to do what you and your vehicle combo feel comfortable with. (oh and obey the law!!!):behindsofa:

jdonly1

Dec 7, 2011
Bairnsdale Vic
I normally sit at 100 in the 100k zones and 110 on the freeways.Fuel economy prolly suffers but they are still selling it:target:

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
Bigman, What vehicle do you tow with mate.
I recently done a trip from Melbourne back home to Nth QlD . At the beginning I sat on the 80-90K's. Was absolutely don't be rude economy & would knock the hell out of the vehicle in regards to being dropped back on hills to sometimes 2nd on them long big hills along the coast to Narooma.
HOWEVER, once I sat on the 100-110K's mark she travelled like a dream & economy picked up. Not sure if it was in me head but certainly seemed better.

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
On our first trip we sat between 90 to 100km/h It would sit on 110km/h easily but the fuel usage was a bit of an issue as we had terrible head winds also.

I held it at around 95km/h for the most of it............ But without the headwind I would not have a problem with sitting on the speed limits.

Cheers,

Paul

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Bigman, What vehicle do you tow with mate.
I recently done a trip from Melbourne back home to Nth QlD . At the beginning I sat on the 80-90K's. Was absolutely don't be rude economy & would knock the hell out of the vehicle in regards to being dropped back on hills to sometimes 2nd on them long big hills along the coast to Narooma.
HOWEVER, once I sat on the 100-110K's mark she travelled like a dream & economy picked up. Not sure if it was in me head but certainly seemed better.

I wish it was a 200series, but its a 07 Triton 3.2TD, Love the car just running out of room with the three kids.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I try to drive at the speed limit but sometimes drift over the hundred. My cruise control gives me a thump and says "slow down". :fish: I'm quite happy with my fuel usage at around 11L/100 of diesel and 3L/100 gas with the van on. :target:

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
On the black top we tow around the 100k mark and depending on the dirt surface around the 80k if possible always driving to the conditions , im on holidays but not dieing to get there.....

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I do whatever feels comfortable at the time. I aim for around 90 which seems to give best 'economy' (in loose terms), but may drop to 80 or hit 105 if going very comfortably.
I find the problem is the auto lock up (I think it is - don't really understand it:noidea:) which can keep changing gears back and forth, and cause the revs from 2000 (nice- 14/15l/100) to 3000 (drink,drink, guzzle, guzzle 22-30l/100). As such, once it hits the 3000, I drop back in speed a bit to use a little less fuel, and when it drops back to under 2000 again, I tend to speed up again.....
.....i really don't like the gearbox.....

Klugerclan

Aug 31, 2011
Great feedback from the troops. I must admit I was telling a bit of a lie as found 110kmh was where the Kluger was happiest in its power band. Just had to be careful of what was round the bend. On the big dips was getting up to 130 downhill which made all the difference uphill.

At this speed the stress also for the driver was greatly reduced which is worth a thought, car was happiest which makes driver happier too. My excuse is 20 years driving in Blighty at 140 kmh on the wide stuff and 120 kmh on single lane. I tried this once on the local law when stopped and unsurprisingly didn't work out !

We caught up with a couple of tourist I30's they all drive at 80 kph and it really affects the drive when towing, after the Swan it was great that with grunt in 3rd we can still pass just as easily in the Expanda on the long straights. The second row loved it and cheered after kilometres of plodding, not that I intend to make a habit of it at all.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I find around the 100 to 110 mark the best, but in the pathy I find flicking it into manual on the trip tronic gears stops the car from constantly flicking between 4th and 5th all the time. Cruises much better after that.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I usually tow at or near the speed limit so if its 100kph Thats what I tend to do, and I use 4th gear (manual) as it holds the speed better as its in the happy rev range. Its a 4.5lt petrol woth 33'' inch tyres and rack so 4th is good. I sometimes drop below 100kph on the hills but once I'm over the top off we go :lol:

At the end of the day I travel what is safe and comfortable.

Alan

Feb 3, 2012
Altona Vic
I prefer 100 as it keeps me in the traffic flow and means less traffic has to pass me and visa versa. The trucks of course still keep slipstreaming and passing me.

Alan

Feb 3, 2012
Altona Vic
I do 100 as much as possible as it keepd me in the traffic flow which means less people pass us and visa versa. The trucks still slipstream us and pass though.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Pretty much whatever the speed limit is for the given piece of road that I'm on.
I just don't understand the mentality of those who rigourously adhere to the old 80-85km/h mantra no matter what when towing.
They just become a mobile roadblock to the frustration of all other road users.

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion only....

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Im hearing you matty4 being an ex interstate driver there was nothing more that would make you don't be rude than a vanner doing half the speed allowed then speed up when you try to overtake
thats my opinion too...