Powering a laptop on 12V

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi All
I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to using a laptop on 12V
I have 2 laptops.According to the supplied transformers, one is getting 19V and the other is getting 20V

My question: How do I charge from the 12V in the van when not on 240?
Is there a special adaptor needed?

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
If the required voltage is greater than 12 volts then I think you are going to need something called an inverter.
Question though... How did you determine they required 19 and 20 volts?

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
most electronic retailers should be able to fix you up. I got one from jaycar for my net book and it works great. have a look here to see some that jaycar have. make sure you take your laptop in with you so they can give you the right one.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Also some brands offer a cig plug charger as an option. I have an Lenovo travel charger which comes with a 12v plug. But then that is unique to Lenovo. If you spend more to get an invertor it will run any brand laptop plus phone, camera chargers etc.

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
I use this one for my large laptop in the van off 12v and it comes with a range of fittings for the input and selects the right voltage http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MP3324
productLarge_14907.jpg

and a small 12v one for the small mapping laptop in the car, this one you select the output voltage, this one was too small for the large laptop and would cut out not enough output watts

Christian

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
If I recall correctly, if using an inverter for a laptop, spend the extra and get a sine wave inverter type. I believe these are more stable for 'delicate' electronics such as laptops etc preventing spikes etc which are more prone on the non-sine wave models.
(although I will stand corrected by the sparkies here....)

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
You not wrong stray, but ive been using a modified sine for years on about 6 laptops over that time with no probs, With laptops, you have the laptop transfomer between the laptop and the inverter and this would act as a line of defence if there was any spike for whatever reason.