Just Browsing Pop top or full height

Fallen

Feb 7, 2019
WA
Hi there,

We're about to jump into the world of second hand expanda ownership but so far have found that the ratio of pop tops vs full heights available leans way over to the pop top side. So we wanted to get a feel of why this is to see if our preference for full height is warranted.

We're a family of 5 (one 2yo and twin 5yo), and have previously borrowed an 2013 OB Swan (when we only had the twins) and also recently hired a 2012 non-OB full height Expanda 18.57.9. The Swan was a little too open, but we loved the Expanda.

So we're aiming for an OB full height expanda that has both ends that pop out, ensuite, and at least one bunk (even if it's fold out). 2012 or newer. Will set up for free camping.

The pop tops we've been in just felt a little too open again, and the future maintenance/issues was the other consideration. We don't have height restrictions where we are going to park it, better fuel economy would be good but not sure that it's going to be a big difference, and the extra storage was great. Not fussed about the setup time differences.

So any other considerations for pop tops vs full height? With not many full heights on the market, does that mean that it will be harder to sell if we upgrade, or easier? Or do most people who want full height vans big enough for 5 people go for a non-expanda? We still like the camping feel of the pop out ends, but just not the top as well.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The Swan isn't a pop top , its a camper, a tent on wheels with a hard roof, where an Expanda Pop Top has the bed ends which pop out and the roof will lift up but if you stop for lunch you just open the door and walk in, duck a little bit but you don't have to lift the roof and a full size Expanda just the bed ends come out and you can have a slide out with it also....

As to which one well they all have their merits, the Swan/Eagle/Penguin are great for the short trips, will tuck in behind a smaller vehicle not all that great for long tours with kids, well my Daughters Eagle it was great they moved on as with the kids it was a bit much, took a bit to set up and especially with litttle rug rats drove them nuts, the Expanda with a pop top roof is a lot better for longer tours, set up quickly and doesn't seem so open to the elements, easy access at all times and the lower profile given by dropping 2 foot of roof really gives plenty of fuel economy, my 14.44 just tucked in behind with my Jeep and Colorado where the full size will give plenty of body to catch the wind, you can add an annex or just close in the awnnig with screens for a bit more privacy .
The full size you just pull the bed ends out and thats it, like the pop top the awning provides that extra room just gives more wind drag as its higher.

Depending on your tug and what your storage area is I would really go for the pop top Expanda, with small rug rats you will find them roomy and very comfortable and will provide some savings in fuel...... if you are in a modern surburban block they will fit better than a fulll size in alot of cases.....

Hope that helps a bit, so what vehicle have you got ?????

Camper................. swan.jpg ..............................................Expanda Pop Top.....expanda.jpg.....

Panda Full Size..........panda full.jpg

Fallen

Feb 7, 2019
WA
Thanks Drover.

Tug is a X 5 30d for short trips with no 4WDing (although we have taken it on the beach a couple of times) , but we'll be getting a D-Max or similar Ute for longer trips/offroad/free camping.

The *Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* towed the non OB full height Expanda 18.57.9 like a dream, but understand the OB version will be heavier and taller.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thanks Drover.

Tug is a *Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* 30d for short trips with no 4WDing (although we have taken it on the beach a couple of times) , but we'll be getting a D-Max or similar Ute for longer trips/offroad/free camping.

The *Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* towed the non OB full height Expanda 18.57.9 like a dream, but understand the OB version will be heavier and taller.

For some reason the auto censor has attacked your vehicle descript, might have to edit it ....Dmax is a good choice go auto, tray back and throw on an alloy shed then you will have brilliant access and heaps of room for the kids stuff as they get older, actually if I recall we needed a trailer when ours were small, less gear as they got older and I had more room for beer...........

Reactions: mfexpanda

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Haha that was weird. I just put a space between the X and the 5 and all good.
The system has been set to reject members just agreeing with a prior post by typing “times” (read x ) followed by a number. It was happening so often maximising the number of texts a member had posted when they really hadn’t posted anything. It just happened your vehicle had a model type using the x followed by a number. The same thing happens when members use inappropriate language, the word is changed to “don’t be rude”