Please help

Grover

Jul 20, 2012
I'm going to kangaroo valley near Robertson NSw and I'm towing a jayco expanda 16 ft I can go up Macquarie pass or I can go nowra way up Moss Vale road not sure which way would be better due to long steep incline I'm coming from wollongong I did go up Macquarie pass once my 4wd over heated now radiator fixed my leaving tomorrow and feeling very sick hoping it doesn't over heat again

Last edited by a moderator:

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
If going from Wollongong, go via the coast to Nowra/Bomaderry then over Mt Camberwarra into Kangaroo Valley.
Going via Macquire Pass only takes you up to Robertson and onto Southern Highlands, the pass is a bit narrow in places with hair pin turns though ok going either way Channel 40 on uhf is the go and listern for trucks calling up. there is a back road from Berry to The Valley however haven't been that way in over 20 yrs probably wouldn't take a van that way.
Other option is via Mt Ousley to Picton Rd then Hume Hwy to Bowral and back into the valley that way (probably the longway but easier towing ).

Last edited:
Reactions: blacky

barney120

Dec 10, 2013
Kangaroo Valley
Hi Grover, I live in Kangaroo Valley, So I reckon I can give you some advice.There is 4 ways into the Valley from where you are coming from. Up maquarie pass thru Robertson, Down to Bomaderry ,right turn at Maccas and tis is the main road into the Valley and is a lot shorter climb than Maquarie Pass. Or you can turn right at southern end of Berry at kangaroo valley sign, this way has a few steep hair pins that I have towed my horse float and 2 big horses up even tho signs advice no long vehciles.....but there is another way that is mostly only known to locals and is the way I have towed horses and expanda for the last 10 years...put your blinker on as you drive over bridge approaching Berry, you drop from 90 to 50ks, turn right directly of f bridge( i think sign says wattamolla) one straight hill up with no bends until the top, continue about a kay or 2 turn left (first corner and sign says Kang. Val) continue down into Valley (narrow, 1 sharp bend to the right just down from top), at the bottom you have about 1 and a half kays of dirt, usaully in very good condition, all the way to T inter section. turn right You are now on the road that comes from southern side of berry. follow thru to next T intersection, turn right you are now on road that comes from Bomaderry, 2 kays to the town centre. If you pass more than a couple of cars you have been in peak hour rush. I always go this way with 16 ft expanda, just keep it to yourself, mostly only locals know it ,lol. Road is narrow but a pretty drive and is the shortest hill climb and decent of all roads in. Hope this helps you, Barney.

Last edited:
Reactions: blacky

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I watched a movie like this once, sound like Chevy Chase in Funny Farm. By the way good luck.

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
@barney120 its funny ain't it, people stereotype caravaners as slow painful drivers. I sit on 90-100 with the expanda, but you won't catch me going near that fast with the horses on our float! I drive like I have a 'glass of water on the dash'

barney120

Dec 10, 2013
Kangaroo Valley
@barney120 its funny ain't it, people stereotype caravaners as slow painful drivers. I sit on 90-100 with the expanda, but you won't catch me going near that fast with the horses on our float! I drive like I have a 'glass of water on the dash'
I totally agree, I don't think people really understand towing a trailer till they tow live big animals that move around and affect just about every aspect of driving. how did you go driving into the valley, which route did you come in by? Barney

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
Nah mate I've never towed our horses over the mountains, plenty of hills, but never over the mountains.

We were going to buy a dual cab horse truck but bought our expanda instead! (Thank god)

barney120

Dec 10, 2013
Kangaroo Valley
Nah mate I've never towed our horses over the mountains, plenty of hills, but never over the mountains.

We were going to buy a dual cab horse truck but bought our expanda instead! (Thank god)
Sorry peter got, you mixed up with grover who was asking the way into kangaroo valley, but I agree that when you tow horses, you need to drive with that imaginary glass of water on the dash board or they can tend to fall over and make a mess of themselves

Reactions: Wanda

mango

Aug 1, 2019
Wollongong
Sorry peter got, you mixed up with grover who was asking the way into kangaroo valley, but I agree that when you tow horses, you need to drive with that imaginary glass of water on the dash board or they can tend to fall over and make a mess of themselves
Hello, I am a first time poster, just resurrecting this thread if you don't mind as I have a question for barney120. Would you still recommend that back way for towing horses as the best way? I am moving my horse to agistment near Berry and need to figure out the safest way of getting to events on the Southern Highlands from that area. Thanks so much everyone, and my apologies for posting in the Expanda forum with an alternate agenda!

barney120

Dec 10, 2013
Kangaroo Valley
Hello, I am a first time poster, just resurrecting this thread if you don't mind as I have a question for barney120. Would you still recommend that back way for towing horses as the best way? I am moving my horse to agistment near Berry and need to figure out the safest way of getting to events on the Southern Highlands from that area. Thanks so much everyone, and my apologies for posting in the Expanda forum with an alternate agenda!
Hi Mango, The widest road is from Bomaderry roundabout (Maccas) thru the valley up to the highlands.But the back way from northern end of Berry is narrow and has a small section of dirt thru Wattommalla but generally no traffic. I use both ways but normally main road if car is clean and don't want to drive on dirt section.The road from southern Berry (K.V.Rd) to valley always seems to have drivers who cant stick to their own side of road, so I rarely use this way.