Plastic protection tube on gas lines

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Thanks mate, makes sense. Would like to keep the original look for that bit under the van

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
I had a similar issue when I finished my mod to install JC brackets and basket, see other thread.
Decided that 13mm black tube, split and the wrapped and held in place with zip straps.
Reason was so that flexi gas lines would not rub a wear out

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
FYI ended up using the 13mm poly pipe from Bunnings. Looks the same as original. Very hard to get on especially up past the pigtail. Would probably be easier if I had left the poly in the sun to warm up a bit and soften

Reactions: cruza driver

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
Anyone found another supplier of the correct black covering? My local Jayco has run out and doubt they will get any in time for crissy

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just use this stuff from Bunnings www.bunnings.com.au/holman-19mm-x-25m-black-poly-irrigation-tube_p3120622 shorter or longer lengths available it is only there to stop rock damage, just make sure water can drain from whatever hose you fit even the odd hole punched in it or you could get corrosion.
But it's not some special tubing that requires a dealer to fit though one shouldn't dismantle gas joins thats why many use split corrugated conduit just drop the saddles slip it over the gas line and put the saddles back, its to stop rock damage basically and chaffing from saddles.

Never use zip ties around gas, fuel or brake lines, movement, dust and moisture will combine to wear away at the pipes.

1544768297227.jpeg

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
I would just be worried about trying to clamp that 13mm stuff from bunnings in the normal saddles as its alot stiffer than the stuff jayco use, especially on 5/16 and 3/8 copper tubing. Would be quite a big gap between the copper tube and that black poly pipe.
Plan is to add an extra gas bayonet at the rear of our van, do it to the regs then get it complied/certified by a gas fitter i know.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The tube comes in various diameters, down to about 12mm, if you have dropped the pipes it would be okay but if its still hung then I would go the split conduit for ease, never want to undo the fittings unless you have to. You can always go to Reece's or other plumbing shop they would have the stuff that's more flexy, sometimes the price is surprisingly affordable. Caravan shop it a last resort...
I think you would be surprised the gap won't be as large as you think.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
That would do the job, measure internal diameter of whatever pipe you go to use, you will need a mil or 2 bigger at least from the external size if the copper pipe or you will have trouble feeding it....

Last edited: