Placement of breakaway cable

Andre307

May 18, 2016
Adelaide
I have a MUX and just attach it to where the chain shackles attach on the towbar. A bit awkward to get on but the jayco clip does fit.

I’m sure others might chime in if I’m doing it wrong, but don’t attach it to the chains themselves :behindsofa:

Reactions: Johnanbev

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
It would be ideal if you can find something else to attach your breakaway cable other than the hole the D shackles are fitting to. But unfortunately most towbars don't have any other places.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
A lot of folk fit an eye to the number plate panel and clip it onto that, if you hook it to the shackle eyes there's a good chance something could snag it and bingo your van brakes are on, short leash with enough room so it won't pull out when turning then it may work when needed....I honestly doubt their effectiveness at anything above 10kph...

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
According to the rules it cannot be attached to any part of the tow bar, this is in case the tow bar leaves the vehicle with safety chains etc attached which has actually happened on occasions!! I ran a stainless wire from the underneath of the car out beside the tow bar, perfectly legal which is a bit different for me lol

Reactions: Andre307 and Drover

Andre307

May 18, 2016
Adelaide
There you go, I am doing it wrong lol..
Great, now there’s something else for me to worry about ;)

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
According to the rules it cannot be attached to any part of the tow bar, this is in case the tow bar leaves the vehicle with safety chains etc attached which has actually happened on occasions!! I ran a stainless wire from the underneath of the car out beside the tow bar, perfectly legal which is a bit different for me lol

And that makes absolute sense - however I cannot find anywhere logical to clip it. I wonder if the bumber bar would be considered acceptable? Easy enough to drill and screw a small eye bolt there somewhere

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
That's why a small SS eye off the number plate mounting is used, holds plate on and no extra hole.

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
Through here?
iu

peter olson

Sep 29, 2017
kellyville nsw 2155
Can you please send me the rules as the legislation that I have seen does not state any attachment point just that a breakaway system must be fitted
Thanks

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Depending on which state but it doesn't actually legislate where the cable should be attached but some govt info packs advise it should not be attached to the tow bar, chains etc which is really common sense, if pulled over a Transport Inspector would more than likely write you up if attached to chains or such.....regulations don't always comply with common sense.
NSW VB 6 .....
Manufacturer recommendations do state .
Not to affix to tow bar or fittings.

Fit one if these to number plate....
images (1).jpeg

Then with one of these on the cable, clip them together...

images (2).jpeg

Keeping the cable short as needed to turn and not hang down to get caught and pulled out by road trash.

Won't get booked, it will work and is common sense fitment without a lot of stuffing around like some .

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Depending on which state but it doesn't actually legislate where the cable should be attached but some govt info packs advise it should not be attached to the tow bar, chains etc which is really common sense, if pulled over a Transport Inspector would more than likely write you up if attached to chains or such.....regulations don't always comply with common sense.
NSW VB 6 .....
Manufacturer recommendations do state .
Not to affix to tow bar or fittings.

Fit one if these to number plate....
View attachment 63129

Then with one of these on the cable, clip them together...

View attachment 63130

Keeping the cable short as needed to turn and not hang down to get caught and pulled out by road trash.

Won't get booked, it will work and is common sense fitment without a lot of stuffing around like some .
The break is required under Fed ADRs, but there isnt anything specific about the caravan style cable and pin. The ADR only seems to say the break away needs to activate if the trailer parts company with the car, and not how that is to occur.

Seems pretty clear by its absence so long as youve got one and its activated somehow if the trailer buggers off, you can clip that cable onto any part of any other part that is part of the car.