Park to go close to Melb Christmas Holidays?

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hello All,

Looking for somewhere to book if available around or just over 1 hour from Melbourne.
Seeing Sarah cannot get leave although works 2 days a week and I have no idea I am working, I can get at least one week and do some work from caravan :) or commute. We thought we look for somewhere for 2-3 weeks from the 10th of Jan.

Been to Big4 Bellarine a few times now although wondering what else?
Want some place kid friendly..
I was looking down the Mornington peninsula way on wiki camps although lots..

Sarah said BIG4 Coburg no way !!! only 20 mins from our place :) he he

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
@davemc , The Caravan Parks on the Mornington Peninsula get chokkas that time of year. I mean chokkas! You might have left your run a bit late. If you want to keep Sarah's travel to a minimum, don't go past Rosebud West. The foreshore at Rosebud gets that busy, Its hard to move. I would look at Point Leo, Shoreham and Balnarring side. Lots of the parks fill up with families that have been going forever. Lots of locals also rent their homes out and live at the local parks for the holiday period. With That time of year you generally have to book anywhere from 9mths out and then if you find a nice spot, jump on it for next year.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
@macca yes I know.. we thought we give Christmas a miss although chatting to some up on the Gold Coast who commute.
Also we been down Mornington a few years as wives family used to have a place down there. The traffic gets nuts even with the new freeway,

Still can get into Bellarine Big4.. $1900 17 nights 10-27th. Twins now 3.. $10 a night for each.. Funny with 4 kids it doubles what it be with just two off us..

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
@macca yes I know.. we thought we give Christmas a miss although chatting to some up on the Gold Coast who commute.
Also we been down Mornington a few years as wives family used to have a place down there. The traffic gets nuts even with the new freeway,

Still can get into Bellarine Big4.. $1900 17 nights 10-27th. Twins now 3.. $10 a night for each.. Funny with 4 kids it doubles what it be with just two off us..
wow !!!!!!!!!! 1900 we are paying 640 I think for 9 days 23 dec until 2nd on nsw coast lake tabourie

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Yep.. 4 kids adds a lot of $'s I mean they take up so much more space..
$1200 if no kids..$70 a night.. We paid $81 a night for a ensuite on the Gold Coast on the beach in the Sep Holidays.
I really like the Big 4 Bellarine.. Although its pricey for not being on a beach or anything in walking distance.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Yep.. 4 kids adds a lot of $'s I mean they take up so much more space..
$1200 if no kids..$70 a night.. We paid $81 a night for a ensuite on the Gold Coast on the beach in the Sep Holidays.
I really like the Big 4 Bellarine.. Although its pricey for not being on a beach or anything in walking distance.
davemc I really think paying for kids is crap we have 2 , 3 and 9 months we should pay for the site and that's it its our van 2 or 4 or 6 people if u have own shower in van more so if not using there showers for the kids how much is it costing them to have our kids there kids can make a park and if we had no kids we all mite choose to go elsewhere I don't understand why they all sting us so much for kids who cost them nothing I will get of the high horse now do u agree ??????????

Reactions: Drover

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
I can understand a little extra $ although a couple of places we used for over night stops almost doubled the $'s with kids.
Add another $10 to cover a family.. $30-$40+ a night extra a bit rich I agree.
Interesting one place laughed and said twins so 1 extra only.

Not sure they charge extra for dogs :)

Reactions: Bluey

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria

Actually for that time of year, I think that is quite good. Big sites, good facilities, not far away, pool etc. It sounds like they are not charging a huge holiday surcharge like other parks do at that time of year.
I always wonder how some caravan parks charge for that time of year.
Formula. Its busy! x We can charge more because (demand is greater than supply) = Big $$$$$

5ofus

Jun 23, 2014
Brisbane
I agree ! No need to rip families off ! We went to Moogerah Dam for 4 nights and kids were $7 each which is quite reasonable. We are thinking of doing a farm stay weekend in a few weeks and kids are $14. They do great activities with the kids but it would cost us $77 a night with 3 kids. As davemc said ....... we could do a beachfront site with an ensuite for $71 per night !

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
With Farm stay a friend just did one the price is sort of a entrance fee.
I also understand they put on activities for kids at Big4 and such and the kids have fun.

Back on topic anywhere else. A few places I like to stay getting 2 hours or so away...

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Im surprised at this time of the year, that Bellarine would have xmas holiday vacancies. Although at those prices, it would probably be peoples last choice. It will no doubt book out as it gets closer. Its a great park, just a shame its in the middle of nowhere

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
With Farm stay a friend just did one the price is sort of a entrance fee.
I also understand they put on activities for kids at Big4 and such and the kids have fun.

Back on topic anywhere else. A few places I like to stay getting 2 hours or so away...
ballarat or somewhere in that district

Reactions: davemc

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
We looking at a place down somers although think the drive will be nuts.
Also no jumping pillow :) he he

Still tempted just do big4 yes pricey although lots for the kids to do. It's a fantastic park at the end of the holiday $20 extra a night.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
update went down to look through the park at Somers yesterday.. Nice park mainly cabins so booked it.
Its not a BIG4 and probably only has 8 van sites, kids where fine no jumping pillow and playground, beach and store near by.I actually can come up the back way and avoid the rye/rosebud slow drive or do the Stony point train.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
update went down to look through the park at Somers yesterday.. Nice park mainly cabins so booked it.
Its not a BIG4 and probably only has 8 van sites, kids where fine no jumping pillow and playground, beach and store near by.I actually can come up the back way and avoid the rye/rosebud slow drive or do the Stony point train.
at least its sorted now beach sounds nice hope u all have a good time :biggrin:

Reactions: davemc