Starcraft Paint peeling off wall

Melinda

Nov 8, 2015
Brisbane
Hi...our Jayco Starcraft poptop is two years old. Last year I rang my dealer and sail water was coming in through a vent above the bed and the paint was bubbling (the vent is above a power board)...the dealer told me this was impossible. Just went into the van and all the paint below the vent has burst and the paint has peeled off to reveal mould on the wood. I'm guessing I have no come-back with the dealer but I need to get this fixed. I'm reluctant to take it back to Jayvo because I don't trust them. Any ideas would be much appreciated. I have no skills to fix this myself. Cheers...Mel

Melinda

Nov 8, 2015
Brisbane
IMG_1660.JPG
I'm not sure if I mention names but so far my original dealer and my nearest dealer aren't interested.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
have you just rang them?
or
taken the Van down for them to have a look at it

it looks to me (and I am NOT a professional Van repairer) like water is leaking through the vent, and it should have some sort of lip over the top of it on the outside (judging by the mold on the vents...........................)

Melinda

Nov 8, 2015
Brisbane
have you just rang them?
or
taken the Van down for them to have a look at it

it looks to me (and I am NOT a professional Van repairer) like water is leaking through the vent, and it should have some sort of lip over the top of it on the outside (judging by the mold on the vents...........................)
I'm not sure what to do but sure as hell I've gotta do something!! My guess is my dealer sold me a van and I moved on, and now I'm in the big city they don't care. I'm thinking I need to pay a handyman of some description...but, having lived on boats, I need to hire someone who knows vans.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If Brisbane Camperland isn't interested I would go to a van repairer who does a decent job, while I have never used them I have heard good reports of decent work done.......http://capalabacaravanrepairs.com.au/

It certainly looks like the vent leaking, they should be in 2 parts with the outer and inner vent joining and not letting water into the wall cavity, but if they used a foam seal on the outside and it has failed then you will get water in and the sooner it's sorted the better before too much rot.
I was typing an answer when you posted up @bigcol, howzat..not usually on till brekky time.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Billnjim

Dec 9, 2015
Secret Harbour
Try head office and give them the opportunity to address the issue. We had several faults with our old flamingo ob that the dealer continually gave us the run about over/did not want to acknowledge - emailed head office and explained our issues/faults with the van and the dealer. Our faults were rectified quite rapidly after that and our faith in the brand restored. Escalate to head office - you may be surprised.......

Reactions: dagree

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Hi,
We had a similar issue with our Jayco Journey. Jayco approved a repair, which involved a replacement of the interior panel. All good now.
You may have a leaking vent or in our case water come in through the vent grill when it rolls off the roof onto the vent. Not a great design. You can install a small plastic gutter at the top of the vent on the outside to stop this happening. This has happened to a few people with this vent design.
Cheers
Nick

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

Drew

Jun 11, 2014
Have had the same issue.
Jayco refused the claim as water entered through the vent.
Poor design on their behalf
So each time it rains one needs to pack up and put van undercover.

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Hi @Drew,
Ours was due to water coming through the vent and was covered by warranty, so I can't und rstnd how they can refuse warranty on this. Mine only leaked when the roof was down and water ran off the roof onto the vent. I agree it's a poor design.
Nick

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

mark&courtney

Sep 2, 2015
Uralla
Has anyone had this issue elsewhere on the van? Our 2015 Expanda 20.64 is cracked and peeling all down the wall in the three bunks. No vents so assuming it must be the roof edge leaking, but as van is out of warranty not sure how to fix it. Looks terrible, so dissappointed.