Overnight Park Up - Hitched

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Recent trip I have been surprised by the number of folks that pull up, check levels and then just shut down and their camp is set, leaving the van hooked up to the tug as is...:o:o
How many say " So what " ..............When I just pull up for an overnighter and stay basically hitched up there is no way I would leave the van hanging off the tug, I drop the WDH bars, pop the hitch lock and fit the jockey wheel and just lift the weight off the tug, chains and cables are still plugged in, well I disconnect the the fridge Anderson just in case.......................

Leaving your tug and van connected as you do when towing is not a great idea................

You are placing a static weight on springs, shackles bushes and WDH torsion bars for a lengthy period, this can in affect be a cold set on the springs and bars, accelerating the sag in springs and bars, putting undue load on the whole hitch set up................A static load will wreck the set up for sure, while your driving down the road the whole thing is working springs, shocks, tyres, shackles and torsion bars, they are all flexing form light to high loadings and staying flexible...............12 hrs with just the same loading will cause them all to loose their ability to work as designed over time, plus it doesn't do the tyres much good and if you don't have greasable spring shackles then the hot rubber bushes will slightly deform every time you do it................of course this doesn't happen overnight it just slowly happens, if you only do it once every so often no drama but regularly like some who stop 5 nights straight every few weeks on a trip then its not doing things any good.

Semi's parked up for a long period will drop the legs to take the weight off the prime mover for same reasons.

Big Mal and The Ute when we pull up for a quick RON, van brake ON, the tow ball is unlocked, block put under jockey wheel and lifted to take weight off hitch and the WDH bars are dropped, we also drop the stab legs but Big Mal is 23ft and even though I'm an old sailor I don't like rocking boats...................

So there you go, something to think about, it just means you need to check a few things before you roll but you will roll for longer before a workshop.......

Last edited:

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Interesting. I have been guilty of unplugging the lead, levelling the van so the fridge works on gas and going to bed with a little rocking and rolling as you pointed out. However I have also performed the above with addition of dropping the legs to prevent the rocking and rolling but have always stayed hitched. I don’t have WDH so that bit doesn’t apply. Might have to look more into it.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
We do not have WDH and drop the back legs and un plug put hand brake on. Although left it attached a few times drive thru sites.
The Disco wakes up I think every 20 mins to self level. Freaked me out the first 2,3,4, 5 etc times ok everytime it does it .
We put the front legs down once and lucky it was soft ground they where pushed down by the Disco :)

Yes interesting I agree with you that much weight on the tug for 12 hours with kids bouncing around.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Your just a lazy bugger Dave ............................. jockey wheel taking the weight off the Tug should be a minimum............but then if you change your tug every other year it's academic.................

Reactions: Bluey

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have 500kg constant load springs in the back of the mighty Navara. I don't even like camping, I only bought the van to stop the back of the car floating up of the ground when its parked ... bit like an anchor

And here I was thinking you had the van so nobody could see the Navara badge on the back of the ute.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
And here I was thinking you had the van so nobody could see the Navara badge on the back of the ute.
You know damned well theyll see the Nissan logo on my hat anyway.

(PS you clearly havent found that Navara sticker I put on your car ... or was it the van. I cant recall now)

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I use "No Nissan" wax , keeps unwanted stuff off the body work.......Yarraman pie shop, yum.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I use "No Nissan" wax , keeps unwanted stuff off the body work.......Yarraman pie shop, yum.
Im guessing your not referring to the Yarraman in SE Melb. The pies might be yum yum, but the knife robbery on the way back to the car is often said to be unpleasant. I myself dont get that, I would think the Ice addiction would mask the pain ... but what would I know

Reactions: Drover