Overheating Patrol

kozza

Jun 14, 2015
Melbourne
Hi All,

I have a 2006 3 ltr Patrol and when towing the 17.56 OB, especially on the inclines, the temp needle can climb pretty dramatically. I have the standard rad in it still but dropped in a lower thermostat.

Just wondering if anyone else has done any other mods to keep their temps down?

Cheers

Mick

Mar 15, 2014
Victoria
I had problems with my old 1991 EB falcon with the same problem and it was only towing a dove.
I know what you are all thinking but the point is I got the radiator cleaned as the guy at the radiator shop said these cars are like giant vacuum cleaners
And suck in every thing and block the cooling fins after this was cleaned no drama never overheated ever again.

Reactions: bigcol

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
If @bigcol doesn't know of a common issue with the Patrol nobody will ;)

It could be one or more of any issues @kozza

• Thermostat - But you've done that!
  • Clogged cooling fins as @Mick mentioned - Visual check can confirm.
  • Water pump on way out - Possible but usually shows signs of dripping water from tell tale hole or pulley moves when you grab it.
  • Viscous clutch on the fan - Should hear/see it work but if not with the engine OFF!!!!! try and spin it. If tight all's good. If it spins freely it's cactus!
  • Calcification/Partial blocking internals of cooling fins - The most common problem with overheating at times. Get radiator stripped and cleaned or replaced.
Had a 100 Series petrol V8 that only heated when towing the boat (pre van days) and ended up doing a head gasket. Had the heads reconditioned and all gaskets, water pump etc changed at the time at a cost of $4,200 :o. Radiator was supposedly "flushed" at the time. Two week later hooked up the boat and head off and the temp gauge went up faster than the fuel gauge was heading down >:(. Issue was small particles of calcium built up inside the radiator causing partial blockage. New radiator and all was good.

Suggest you get it checked out ASAP to reduce any chance of extra $'s needing to be spent.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
For what it's worth....

Our Patrol had an overheating problem last year on a long trip. We'd done Brisbane to Perth via Nullarbor and back to SA and noticed temp gauge climbing rapidly in normal driving so took car to Nissan in nooriotpa for it to be checked. No problem found and it was intermittent. Car had done less than 12,000 kms then....and log book service doesn't even look at radiator till the 40k service.

We spoke to Nissan directly and were told if it happened again to call them directly.

It did happen ....we were towed 140 kms to Mildura and van was towed separately. Mildura Nissan did more tests and it took 4 days but radiator was flushed over 6 times before they were happy, thermo replaced etc etc. no problem since but our dealer in Brisbane did further investigation and they replaced the whole cooling system, under warranty when we got home.

Explanation was hesitant but they thought it was some sort of delaminating in the radiator itself.

Now done a further 10,000 kms and no hint of overheating but we do keep a wary eye on it.

I've outlined this as ours was a different problem and only marginally worse on hills. It doesn't climb with speed, agility or enthusiasm but it does get there.

Fabulous

Feb 26, 2013
Melbourne
Our 2007 (auto) got a bit hot towing, I asked my mechanic and he advised it was due to the overdrive and it was the transmission getting too hot, not the engine, but still had the same guage, since then anytime driving up a hill, even a slight one, I turn off the overdrive and have not had an issue since.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
right-o @kozza
I need some info mate, 2006 3.0L CRD (Common Rail Diesel)
how many Kms
auto / man
extras - winch , bar, dual batt's, etc

- just so I can give you an honest thoughs

Reactions: dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
nope - close, but no cigar

NAD's
Nissan Anti Detonation setup

basically,
a catch can between the PCV valve and the inlet manifold
a separate Boost controller
and blocking of the EGR

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
on the CRD's its not really required, but some people are happy with the small amount of effort, in helping to make the car go better

have you fitted a Boost Gauge and an EGT (Pyro)................?

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
a normal 3.0L running at about 100kms will be running at about 15-20lbs of boost
and have EGT's (Engine Gas Temperatures) of around 500 - 550*