Outdoor storage -help, suggestions

Lisao

Jun 7, 2011
Melbourne
Hi all,
I have a question & need some info. We r storing our expanda in our backyard. Have been looking at covers & have been informed that some covers r not 100% waterproof & cause mould etc. (just to let u know we have no clue about caravans, this is our first & dO not know anyone with a caravan) the area is open & I was thinking of a cover, but after seeing the price of them & the uncertainty of them being 100% waterproof was even thinking of a gazebo (portable one, my husband thinks I am an idiot).

Now after all that blubber my question is, does the caravan have to be stored undercover/ covered or can it be stored in the open. What will happen if it's not covered?
Any cheaper suggestions then a cover worth $600+
Thanks inadvanced for your help.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Hi Lisao. The van would certainly be better stored under cover for a number of reasons
Fibreglass does not like long exosure to sunlight. Polish and wax would help but there would still be some fading and deterioation over time.
Windows, which are usually acylic, will craze over time when exposed to sunlight.
Tyres also deteriorate in sunlight and will crack on the walls.
Joints will open up with rain and sun on them and let water in.

I just put up 3 posts, some rafters and second hand roofing iron on the side of my shed and wrapped the sides with shadecloth. Keeps the sun and rain off nicely and was my cheapest option.

Lisao

Jun 7, 2011
Melbourne
Thanks for the info. Husband just suggested tarp. Over the top and sides (sides going on an angle) and beg it down with a few rope on springs. I would like to cover the area like a verandah but it is against our house & the verandah will sit halfway up our staircase window. That's why we need to look at other options.
Plus i dont think my husband wants to do more building jobs. We just (well he just) removed 3 huge yakers and removed our front fence, brought it forward by 6 meters and make a double gate to make room for the caravan. He still has to level the area & rock/ pebble it.

All suggestions welcome.
Thanks

Lisao

Jun 7, 2011
Melbourne
Chatrock I didn't realise the caravan is that delicate. But then again, as per anything sitting in the weather will deterate quicker. Thanks for the infO

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Chartrocks idea of a lean to set up sounds good.

I haven't had any experience with van covers but I think the van might have to be nice and clean before fitting it also so the cover doesnt rub against the van in windy conditions and in turn scratching the fibreglass.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I'm yet to get a cover, but desperately need one our van is outdoors and no other options to cover it, it cops full sun most of the day.

Yes some of the cheaper covers are crap and not water proof in fact when wet you can see through them. the new Camec ones seem quite good and claim to be water proof. they were $420 for one to suit ours. Also have a look at www.stormcovers.com.au.

The portable gazebo isn't a bad idea, a mate of mine has a few of the to help cover his fleet of cars he has bolted them to the concrete though the PVC covering is weak and deteriorate very quickly.

Lisao

Jun 7, 2011
Melbourne
Thanks bushman. I will look into the new Camec covers. Yesterday we went down to page bros-jayco (went to have another look at our van) and saw the prestige covers about $320. I also spoke to the guy there & he was saying the roof is 100% waterproof and the sides are breathable to stop mould. He recommend to open up the vans door every now & then.

Looks like we will just end up buying a cover & air it out or even better have to take it out more oftern.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
The PRESTIGE one are the nasty cheap ones, but do the job I guess,

Friend of mine had them for his van, wasn't impressed with the quailty. just remember to measure your vans body externally including rear bumper for the right size.

ChantalB

Jan 10, 2012
Erina,Central Coast NSW

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
We purchased a cover but I am not sure of the brand... One thing on our though is a zip matching the door entrance. Makes it easy to get into the van still. I think the covers are great. I only use them over winter though where we tend to use the van less.

bully66672

Jun 30, 2011
Melbourne
I purchased the maxi brand cover off eBay about 12 months ago.
Pretty good cover for the price.
When I took the cover off my van after 3 months of Melbourne weather the van was like new as was the cover.

Cheers

Reactions: ChantalB

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Hey Bully,
How's that cover coping 6 mths from your last post. I am in the market to buy a cover. Do you still recommend the Maxi brand of cover?
Cheers Deano

Sinko

Mar 21, 2011
Victoria
I wouldn't mind knowing too thanks Bully. A cover will be the next purchase for me, even though the van is under a carport. I would like to keep the UV at bay!!

cheers
Sinko

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Check this site out www.coverworld.com.au I got mine from here for my 16' @ $259. They are a 4 ply fabric and waterproof, ours is 2 1/2 years old and not too bad now just the top layer (waterproofing) is starting to break down. When I bought it I thought if I get 3 years I'll be happy and looks like I will. I will buy another one from here, they also make storm covers.

Cheers.

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
we have a prestige cove, live in Canberra & it hardly see's any sun during Winter. It held up well as far as weather goes. No mould, no moisture and seems to cope well with water & wind. what it doesnt cope well with is my 12 month old Blue Heeler....... I have to buy a new cover now but it's only because the dog chewed out the zippers!