Outback expanda 16.49 on the beach?

benandjordansmum

Feb 8, 2012
Logan Village, Qld
Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum and was looking to you guys for some advice. We are looking at getting an Expanda 16.49 Hard lid. We have a V8 Landcruiser Sahara 2007 petrol model (it is the one with the electronic height adjustment). Our main camping is beach camping, usually Main Beach at Straddie. We were just wanting to know how other people had gone with the expandas getting them over sand dunes. Our Sahara can tow quite low and we were looking at getting the rear air bags to give us more clearance.

Thanks,

randl007

Oct 27, 2011
Queensland
Hi Guys and welcome to the forum. We live over on Straddie and have seen lots of Pandas on Flinders but not on Main. We do not have ours yet but are looking forward to using it on the mainland. This is a great site for informaion so I am sure someone has taken their panda on the beach somewhere.
Enjoy you van and keep coming to our island.
Richard

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day and welcome to the forum, good to have another SE Qld member. :rockon:

Can't help you on pulling an Expanda over sand dunes as I have barely had my fourby on sand. Sounds like your tug is set up for it but I'm sure someone on the forum will be able to answer.

Nuts

Jun 17, 2011
Calliope Qld
The previous owner of my 16.49 3 regularly took it to double island point and Fraser once or twice. He towed it with a pretty tricked up troopy. He never had any dramas from what I understand. Just make the necessary allowances towing the expanda and be prepared.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Hi. Welcome to the forum.
I'm afraid I can't help specifically, as I've never towed on dunes, but all I do know is to still remember to air down on the van also, but not quite as much as the LC (some forget the the trailers)

Cheers
Andrew

Ben

Aug 22, 2011
Mandurah, WA
Welcome to the forum guy's.

I have a 2010 diesel 200 series, last year we took our jayco hawk beach camping. It was particularly dry year here in the West and was pushing the limits. Going over the dunes and down the beach was no real issue. I got stuck when I tried to turn around on the beach but that was about it. Fully loaded the van would have been around the 1500 kg mark. I think the most valueable thing here is a winch, so when you get stuck, stop before bottoming the car out, unhook the van and then winch the van from the softer stuff (and a set of maxtrax or go hunt some sticks etc). Just remember you will need momentum so the van will be doing some dancing around, be sure it is all secure. Personally I won't be taking the expanda down the beach cause of this reason. But I don't know the area you have mentioned so might be a bit harder then the west.

Ben