14' Series Out of gas-how do I Know

Hylux

Sep 1, 2017
Newcastle
so thinking today, if I run out of gas how will I know. Can't light the stove, no hot water, fridge not cold. I could spend money on a fridge temp gauge with alarm but that could take hours.
so I am going to run a buzzer off the hot water switch/light. If the hot water has no gas(is gas bottle ran out) the light comes on and buzzer will sound. Will cost me nothing to do.
Would like to do something off the fridge as well but haven't located anything to do it unless someone has done it.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
But you don't want to be running your HWS full time as you will be burning heaps of gas.... You could put a temp activated switch on the fins at back of fridge which turns on when they drop below say 40 deg flashing light or buzzer, with a cut out so can be shut down.

Reactions: WHHEMI

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I always check mine while using it (the gas)

I have one of these on my gas bottle

gas fuse.jpg

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Same as @bigcol I monitor my usage via the gas fuse but I have two bottles and I imagine you do as well @Hylux as you mentioned you had a HWS. I pay more attention when the gas fuse says it is low and also by occasionally checking the gauge on the fridge when opening or walking past.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
I did have a gas fuse, but I took it off. The reading on the gauge was very dependent on the ambient temperature. On hot days it showed more gas than on cold days. Also, it seemed, to me anyway, that it dropped into the red very quickly and then soon after no gas. So it didn't really give me much warning.

I only used it for a couple of bottles before I had a gas problem. I took it off in case it was the cause. It ended up being the regulator. But then I have been too lazy to bother putting it back on again.

I also had the feeling that the fuse cuts off the supply before the bottle is completely empty. Is that what others observe?

We have got into the habit of regularly checking the little meter on the fridge to see it is in the 'green'. We know our bottle lasts for at least 20 nights, so we check more regularly after that. Not so worried about it running out at night since the fridge will stay cold for several hours without a problem. But we do indeed check it every morning when we get up.

But it would certainly be good to have a better way of being informed if the fridge stops working. So I am interested in reading about some innovative and simple solutions.

I wonder if it would be possible to tap into the meter on the front of the fridge and use that to trigger an alarm. It is a very sensitive meter since it only measures the very small voltage / current generated by a thermo couple down in the standby (pilot) flame. So, using this might involve amplifying this signal to then control the buzzer when it is off.

cheers
Mike

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Bit more thinking on the subject, with the fridge when the gas if the flame on the burner goes out the thermocouple cools and sends a signal which shuts down the gas solenoid, therefore a relay on the gas solenoid would do the trick of turning on a light or buzzer signifying no gas, hooking something up to the thermocouple would be problematic as the voltage from it is miniscule and any variation could mean the gas solenoid wouldn't open and make fridge start difficult..............I always make sure that when one goes empty I get it refilled within a week so I'm not caught, a rule of thumb I use when free camping is a bottle will last 10 days so never get caught.

Hylux

Sep 1, 2017
Newcastle
still working on getting alarm off the fridge, looking at the dial on the front but thermo couple only generates about 20-30 micro volts so may need to go through my old text books on that low a voltage and almost zero amp.
the gas shut off is my next area to look into. I've got some manuals which may help.

back to the gas heater idea, how much gas would it use on standby, would think just a small pilot light using stuff all gas or it lights auto when needed.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I was heading down that same track as you wanting to come up with an alarm. More to monitor the fridge going out in the middle of the night or while we were away and not noticing it was out.

I still may do that but so far with the thermometer in the fridge, a gas fuse on each cylinder and a truma gas gauge, I can keep a pretty close eye on the levels.

http://www.caravansplus.com.au/trum...ker-ultrasound-plus-led-light-ampp-13339.html

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The HWS doesn't have a pilot light, it will restart when the temp drops, gas valve opens and igniter sparks, no pilot lights on fridge or HWS............I think they burn at 10j/hr so you would burn a heap of gas for nothing just keeping the water hot, most just put it on 15 mins before needed.........................................if you connected to the thermocouple you would be opening up a can of worms, having played around with a couple they are very touchy and a slight push out of position, dirt or spider web and it will shut the gas solenoid.....................I think the biggest problem is having the alarm operate in set parameters or the thing will go off when your cooling your fridge, a simple switch would do it so long as remember to turn the thing on once at op temp.................................If worried about running out of gas then some nong pulling your power cord out at a park should also be in the equation, actually happens more than the gas I think, so a system that alarms when fridge temp climbs would be better and cover all bases.

A look at Jaycar could possibly save a lot of brain work as I seem to recall a simple circuit kit which would do the job, works on a temp sensor with little buzzer.............

It's a good brain exercise working out way's to do it that don't get overly complicated.

The tag on your fridge will tell you how much gas it burns in joulles per hour, a 9kg bottle has 4000j I think so if free camping with the fridge on gas and since it burns the whole time at a fixed rate simple division will tell you how long things will last, thermostat on fridge regulates the refrigerant flow not the gas flame.........

Mick

Mar 15, 2014
Victoria
I have the same as Bigcol supplied by jayco when I picked up the new van
I was looking at these Mopeka LPG Tank Check - Bluetooth Propane Level Monitor on youtube from the USA
you can get them from amazon don't know if they are any better but worth a look

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Dingo193

Feb 17, 2017
On the road
Couldn't get the gas fuse to work on mine with twin bottles and a changeover tap, it just kept on switching the gas off. Im like Drover when free camping running a webber, gas stove for morning coffee and heating washing up water, I get 12 - 13 days out of a 9kg. I have a 4 kg as a back up which lasts about 6 days. When I get close I poor hot water down the cylinder, or check fridge gauge. I have heard those lazer hand held thermometers can also tell you the height of gas in cylinder and they are around $26 on ebay.