Toy Hauler Order completed, 17.51-2OB, now the wait

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Did final confirmation of order today, scheduled pickup in August.

Options chosen:
AL-KO ESC
2x150w solar panels
2x100A batteries
Drifter control panel (located above radio)
Extended drawbar
245/70R16 6 stud wheels
Anderson plug
3 extra 12v outlets
3 extra 240V double outlets
Fridge cooling fan
Radio CD player
Privacy screen
IBIS airconditioner
Ext drop down table
Wind up antenna
TV arm only
Water filter
Extra jockey wheel clamp inside frame
Gas connection to rear kerb side instead of "A" frame

Additional: As van will be sitting in Adelaide for some weeks until we can get from Darwin to pick it up I'm arranging a separate Company to fit:
Grey water tank - location to be determined
Gas & CO detectors
Diesel heater - location of tank to be determined. Considering drawbar box that has it and gas bottles in it but what to do with spare. Could carry in ute until Warranty expires and then change wheels to same as ute as I originally wanted anyway.

The one thing yet to be decided on is coupling. Apparently Jayco will only fit stock standard ball coupling so would have to do at pickup but so many choices. While I understand that Jayco would argue that it could void warranty, they would have to be able to prove that it caused a failure. Like I said, so many choices, and even more opinions.

Also, every Work n Play and Basestation I've seen now has 2 box section tubes underneath attached to the frame that seem to be for a rear bumper that is on some other models but Jayco won't fit to mine. Strange, but I'll have to make my own up.

Phil

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Congrats on the purchase Phil,
Nice options you have there, looks like you'll be well set up for free camping! Where's the first trip?

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Congrats on the purchase Phil,
Nice options you have there, looks like you'll be well set up for free camping! Where's the first trip?

Thanks. First trip is back home to just South of Darwin, but via Yorke Peninsula for a couple of days just for a quick look around for a future trip then on for a similar of the Flinders Ranges, see relatives on the Eyre Peninsula then head North to Alice to see friends and on home. We'll have an elderly during small dog with us so can't go some places. Have to get home so I can start working out where to dig all the holes to concrete in some cyclone tie down points as we wouldn't be touring during cyclone seasons. Future trips away are for the Dry and all points East, West and South to places w've never been, which covers a big area.

Phil

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Cyclone tie down points, now thats something i haven't considered :shocked:

Looks like a great setup, perfect for off grid camping, i would love one of those diesel heaters too. As for the off road coupling, you can get a 3.5T Hyland, my inlaws got one fitted to their Sterling by the dealer at delivery.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Cyclone tie down points, now thats something i haven't considered :shocked:

Looks like a great setup, perfect for off grid camping, i would love one of those diesel heaters too. As for the off road coupling, you can get a 3.5T Hyland, my inlaws got one fitted to their Sterling by the dealer at delivery.

Tie down points required by Insurance. Where the WnP will sit is under a carport to a shed that we constructed as a cyclone shelter of last resort. Just need to bore a number of holes and fill with concrete with an attachment point set in to them. Definitely no harder than the 19 bored 600mm wide by 900-1100mm deep column footings we did for the shed with a hired stand on the back little digger and then mixed the concrete ourselves in a 1/4 CuM electric mixer (about 7 loads per hole). Between the "A" frame, tandem axle mounts and the van points that I assume were for a potential rear bar it should tie down quite well. Provided it survived any airborne debris it should provide backup living accommodation if required.

Some people we know drag their vans South to Adelaide River, Pine Ck or Katherine out of the danger zone at the first report of a cyclone brewing nearby. If you do that though and a cyclone hits Darwin etc then it's very difficult to get back in to the area if the authorities close off access like they did for some months after Cyclone Tracy.

As to the hitch, the Hyland is one I'm considering.

Phil

Grano n play

Apr 18, 2013
Perth W.A
Did final confirmation of order today, scheduled pickup in August.

Options chosen:
AL-KO ESC
2x150w solar panels
2x100A batteries
Drifter control panel (located above radio)
Extended drawbar
245/70R16 6 stud wheels
Anderson plug
3 extra 12v outlets
3 extra 240V double outlets
Fridge cooling fan
Radio CD player
Privacy screen
IBIS airconditioner
Ext drop down table
Wind up antenna
TV arm only
Water filter
Extra jockey wheel clamp inside frame
Gas connection to rear kerb side instead of "A" frame

Additional: As van will be sitting in Adelaide for some weeks until we can get from Darwin to pick it up I'm arranging a separate Company to fit:
Grey water tank - location to be determined
Gas & CO detectors
Diesel heater - location of tank to be determined. Considering drawbar box that has it and gas bottles in it but what to do with spare. Could carry in ute until Warranty expires and then change wheels to same as ute as I originally wanted anyway.

The one thing yet to be decided on is coupling. Apparently Jayco will only fit stock standard ball coupling so would have to do at pickup but so many choices. While I understand that Jayco would argue that it could void warranty, they would have to be able to prove that it caused a failure. Like I said, so many choices, and even more opinions.

Also, every Work n Play and Basestation I've seen now has 2 box section tubes underneath attached to the frame that seem to be for a rear bumper that is on some other models but Jayco won't fit to mine. Strange, but I'll have to make my own up.

Phil

Grano n play

Apr 18, 2013
Perth W.A
Good options I to have recently ordered same model , proberbly not as many options but will proberbly do a lot of mods later

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
After getting no updates as to progress, we got a call today to say IT'S ARRIVED, in Adelaide at least. Still can't get to it until early August though. Contemplating a quick flight to see, measure, organise additions and take photo's but will have to rely on phone and email to do it I guess. I do need actual height so builder can trim house eave a tad so have asked for Dealer to provide, as well as photo of compliance plate to speak to insurance and rego people. It wil be temp registered in SA for a start though. Time to get moving on car mods needed.

Phil