Opinion on 17ft series

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi everyone,

I am seriously considering upgrading from our 16-49-1 OB to a 17ft series mainly because I'd like the bigger fridge,showe,toilet and obviously 2nd water tank. I was wondering how people find the shower/toilet room in a pop top, has anyone had any issues? We currenty use a porta potty in the add on room which goes at the end of awning on the back end which is also great for storage.

Toilet and shower would save on set up/ pack up time and also solve the shower issue for free camping!
Cheers Burnsy.:cool:

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
family of 6 we are and we have no issues with our shower toilet unit.recovery time is 20mins for the HWS, having time over again would go for the larger fridge and the air con roof unit.

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
We have the 2011 17.56-2 OB. We exclusively use our shower (even where showers are available - easier with a toddler and a child that's too old to shower with mum and dad but not old enough to go alone). The other half is 6'2 and not a small build and has no worries in there. We don't use the hand basin in the bathroom (we just use the kitchen one). After the last person showers we just grab an old towel and dry it down (so always nice and clean. We also only use shower gel so there's no soap scum). We find for our family of 4 we go through one tank of water every 24 hours and the toilet (depending on how much beer has been consumed) is about 3 days. The water seems to pump at about 5 ltrs per minute. We've only used our van for a total of 18 nights so some more experienced may have more to add. We have the bigger fridge and roof air. The bigger fridge is great! So much better than the 'normal' size. The most we went away for was 6 nights and it fit everything in there for the entire stay including 12 litres of milk!

Saying all of that. We are selling soon to get the starcraft 20.62-3. This layout suits us better and had we have known about it would have purchased it rather than the expanda. Depending on your family size, this could be another option for you too. Similarly priced to the 17-56.2

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
With 3 kids and mainly doing weekenders, the reason I got the 17.56-2 was so I didn't have to setup that stupid toilet/shower tent. I used to hate it!!! all good now, absolutely love it. Nothing better than having a shower right before bed and good for the hangover cure the morning after....

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
Have only just got our 17.56-2 and only used once at Easter - free camping - great with the 4 kids - all girls - one nearly 11 so teenage hood on the horizon. Hubby exclusively used the outside shower - he is busy building a mod for it for privacy - not a shower tent - will keep you posted on this. I found the combination of outside and inside showers great. I used the inside one as did the near 8 and 11 year olds and hubby and the 2 littlest used the outside one. We all used the outside one to wash off river sand etc. Free camping with 4 girls plus me and and a very smelly pit toilet 300metres away the ensuite toilet was well used - full within 2 days. Hubby did not use van toilet - he was happy enough with a tree or the pit toilet. I did not mind empying out the toilet as its convenience outweighted this unpleasant task.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Thanks for the input guys....just got to convince the missus, sooner or later I'm sure ours will be up for sale!