Electrical One for the tech heads - Car DVD protection bypass

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Hi all,

Considering getting a DVD media system - Pioneer AVH-X8550BT which will play video files etc.
I am concerned that this will have the screen lockout where DVD's cannot be played when the vehicle is not "parked". Issue is, I am wanting to install this into our Panda - as such - no handbrake (as such)! Has anyone installed a media unit like this where they had to "trick" the system? I like this unit as can play one source inside while the kids are going to sleep and another outside for us adults...

Please be assured, I am not installing this into a car so am not trying to do something illegal - want the best in our Panda as I hate crappy sound.

BJ

Reactions: skippy

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
This is the one I got @skippy ... Didn't need any surrounds and it fitted straight in.
Only complaints I have are the "clicking" sound when turning on the Navigation and setting an address but once thats done all's good. The other is sun on the screen but all my previous GPS's had a similar issue
Sound is as good if not better than Toyota original....

And Ditto about the hijack @Bmhdg76 :bolt:

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Your costing me a fortune @dagree :bounce:I am picking up the tool box mid next week and then I think I will purchasing one of those stereo's as well lol:thumb:

Are the off road maps any good do you know? I have found that the other mapping software is great over east but very vague over here for off road tracks. How do you find it?

Yours looks better than the Colorado's

Reactions: dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
I'm not costing you a fortune @skippy ... But maybe could be putting ideas in your head :0
Only signed up for oziexplorer access last week but haven't tried it out yet. Hopefully time permitting will get it setup and tried this weekend

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Thanks for all the replies on this. Was hoping would be pretty simple to get around. Don't apologise for the hijack as I find it very interesting what people run in their cars and vans. We have some pretty technically minded people on here which I love.

Wonder wether it would be worthwhile a new thread with peoples sound setups / technology setups for their vans and tugs? I am pretty sure @Capt. Gadget would be a clear front runner in this regards. :D

BJ

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Last edited:
Reactions: skippy and Bmhdg76

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
@skippy I replaced mine with a DIG Options after market unit... Only one I could find that fitted the Prado without spending BIG $'s at the time

http://www.digoptions.com/
I have the same in my colorado with road and off road maps been great .
Just worked out that it won't let me set a destination while driving after 2 years .truck needs to be stopped or near stopped.

Reactions: dagree and skippy

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
I like the look of the DIG Options unit as others have shown above. I especially like the fact you can get an integrated TPMS unit for it that can handle up to 8 tyres.

May consider if I ever want to change the vehicles head unit.

BJ.

Last edited:

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
For the apple enthusiasts, car play is coming soon. Many manufacturers ar jumping on board and retro fit systems will hit the market soon.
http://www.pioneer.com.au/au/landing/products/carplay.html
http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

Sorry to hijack as well. With the dig unit do the steering wheel controls still work? I wanted to fit something to my wifes ix35 but I thought it might stuff up other controls.

The Colorado one does apparently, the feature is inbuilt to the deck @macca

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Sorry to hijack as well. With the dig unit do the steering wheel controls still work? I wanted to fit something to my wifes ix35 but I thought it might stuff up other controls.

The model I have is supposedly compatible with steering wheel controls but the GXL hasn't got the controls :(