17' Series Onboard toilet when not in use

Pete04

Mar 26, 2017
Adelaide
Hi all, i am having issues with the toilet flush on the expander. There seems to be black goop coming out when flushed. I use the pink toilet flushing stuff and presume this has just gone off, i usually dont mix it prior to filling the tank just put in the required measurement and then fill the tank.
When your van is not in use do you empty the flush tank?
Also do you store the toilet trolley with just a bit of water and the chemical or clean and leave dry?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Firstly, I know I sound pompous but get a manual on your model......they actually have good info which is a change.
You will find that storage for a few months or more it is best to drain the flush tank, flush with clean water and leave the hose hanging, the goop they use as flush additive goes feral if sitting around. The holding tank give a really good rinse, remove the lid and flush well, give seals a squirt of olive oil and leave empty, when you want to use it next, another good flush will remove the loose dry scale from inside. Use olive oil on seals every couple of dumps, nothing else.....I use Aldi nappy San and it works well, better I think than the proper chemical, certainly cheaper when on road for months at a time.

Last edited:

Duncanblake36

Nov 17, 2016
Doreen
Just use plain water in the toilet tank. The rotors on the pump inside that toilet water reservoir are small and will clog easily. That's stuff will also stain your bowl as its not glass.
I use these. They smell ok and do the job. They are handy but not as cheap as nappy san which will do the same thing.
s-l500.jpg

Reactions: Pete04 and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I do like those sachets so much easier than the liquid..................................

Reactions: Pete04

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
We have always used napisan until last week, the extreme heat at Tamworth with not moving the van it couldn’t cope, yesterday went to Supercheap and bought the green sachets for the first time ever. If ALDI have them next week I will stock up. On our last two vans we just used plain fresh water in the flush tank and it used to get gunk in it as well, the new one flushed from the main water tank which illuminated the problem

Reactions: Pete04 and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep when it gets flamin hot I dump every day................I use a toilet paper bomb, powder wrapped in dunny paper and dropped into can with half a bowl of water dumped on top, then walk outside and give the can a shake to make sure it's all mixed before it has to do any work.......having a spare thunder can helps.

Pete04

Mar 26, 2017
Adelaide
Thanks all for your help, never knew about the Napisan and olive oil. I ended up flusing the toilet tank a few times and that seemed to get rid of the gunk. I think washing the holding tank and leaving it dry during storage will work.
Thanks again!

Reactions: Drover