Old Tyres

carts

Jan 12, 2012
Just thought I would let you good folk out there of a situation I had over Easter.Driving back form holidays ,One of my tryes schredded off the rim completly leaving me to drive on the rim till I could pull up.Fortunatly all safe onboard replaced with spare and carried on,although the old rim was cooked . My question is this was a 2011 caravan bought by myself via jayco & hove now discovered that the tyres on the expanda were indeed manafactured in 2003.Would it be common practice to put a 8 yr old tyre on a brand new van considering a tyre's shelf life is 6-8 yrs.On speaking to other jayco owners I know ,I am not to 1st person to have the tyre sheer off to that model van lately . Thoughts??

McSpanda

Apr 7, 2017
Parkes, NSW
Thanks for the heads up carts, we have recently picked up an '11 18.57OB, which has had very little use - original tyres included (yeah for us!!). I'll definitely check the make date out and switch them out if they are older than 10yrs. It won't be worth the pain of halting our journey.....cheers

Reactions: coneheadpaul

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
That is a bloody disgrace if they fitted tyres of that age going by todays date if the age stamp on the tyre is less than 2011 then they have hit their use by date, the number is stamped into the sidewall near the DOT mark, the first 2 numbers are the week of the year and the second 2 are the year............................age, weather and lack of use mean they are had it well before they have any great wear.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
this is the bit specifically what @Drover is saying

DOT Codes and the 6-year shelf life
=If%20the%20tyre%20has%20a%203-digit%20code,%20do%20not%20buy%20it.%20It%20will%20be%20too%20old.png
As part of the DOT code (G in the tyre marking above), there is a tyre manufacture date stamped on the sidewall. Oddly this code is sometimes only one one sidewall so you might need to get under your car and look at the inward-facing side of the tyre. Take a look at yours - there will be a three- or four-digit code. This code denotes when the tyre was manufactured, and as a rule-of-thumb, you should never use tyres more than 6 years old. The rubber in tyres degrades over time, irrespective of whether the tyre is being used or not. When you get a tyre change, if you can, see if the tyre place will allow you to inspect the new tyres first. It's not uncommon for these shops to have stuff in stock which is more than 6 years old. The tyre might look brand new, but it will delaminate or have some other failure within weeks of being put on a vehicle.
Reading the code. The code is pretty simple. The three-digit code was used for tyres manufactured before 2000. So for example 1 7 6 means it was manufactured in the 17th week of 6th year of the decade. In this case it means 1986. For tyres manufactured in the 90's, the same code holds true but there is a little triangle after the DOT code. So for this example, a tyre manufactured in the 17th week of 1996 would have the code 176minitriangle.gif
After 2000, the code was switched to a 4-digit code. Same rules apply, so for example 3 0 0 3 means the tyre was manufactured in the 30th week of 2003.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
just checked the tyres on our Penguin.

The are GT Radial ST6000 KARGOMAX C and have a DOT code 2216 which means they were manufactured on or after 30th May, 2016.
That seems reasonable since the van was off the production line in early October 2016.

Also, as noted, the DOT code is only on one wall. Conveniently, it was on the outer wall of both road tyres, But it was not visible on the spare, so it must be on the inside. Checking the spare will now be another task to be done one day.

cheers
Mike

Reactions: bigcol

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
So on the weekend I must check the spare on the Paj as it has never hit the ground other than to allow me to clean behind it occasionally, the vehicle is 7 years old now.

I'll be up for new ones all round later in the year so will will have to be 5 this time.

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Yep the issue is a real one. LT tyres on trailers, even 4WD will last a long time tread wise. I change the tyres out after 5-6 years max. They look good as they've got tread left, but the side walls perish, harden and get weak. The side wall on a tyre works very hard.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
So on the weekend I must check the spare on the Paj as it has never hit the ground other than to allow me to clean behind it occasionally, the vehicle is 7 years old now.

I'll be up for new ones all round later in the year so will will have to be 5 this time.

Bushie, we had a 7 year old, at the time, Prado with its original tyres. It popped the back left one at open road speeds and nearly killed us. I'm careful with tyres.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Big Mal is going to hit me a grand to replace 4 tyres, just what I need, the 5th tyre and a diesel heater will have to wait, then the rego will turn up....aarrgghhhh.

Reactions: dagree

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Big Mal is going to hit me a grand to replace 4 tyres, just what I need, the 5th tyre and a diesel heater will have to wait, then the rego will turn up....aarrgghhhh.
What tyres are you putting on it for a grand :eek-53:

Bushie, we had a 7 year old, at the time, Prado with its original tyres. It popped the back left one at open road speeds and nearly killed us. I'm careful with tyres.

Yep that would have been nasty, it's only the spare that is 7 years old so definitely up for replacement with the next round of tyres, looking at replacing the cheapo's that came on the van despite them being in go nic and still within use by date.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
265 75 x 16 LT @Bushman , Big Mal has big flamin wheels, probably go with some Kumho's so about $230 each if I go to the big smoke in Gympie or $253 of I go local, could go some no name chinky things but I want some long life so go with a brand I know.....

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
265 75 x 16 LT @Bushman , Big Mal has big flamin wheels, probably go with some Kumho's so about $230 each if I go to the big smoke in Gympie or $253 of I go local, could go some no name chinky things but I want some long life so go with a brand I know.....

I hear what ya saying there, that's why I what to replace the "chinky" ones on "The Beast"
The Pajero has always had Bridgestone 17" LT All Terrains, always managed to get them under 1k and got good mileage, thinking of trying Toyos this time.

Reactions: dagree and Drover