20' Series Noisy Wheel

Janeymck

May 19, 2017
Sunbury
Hi all on our last trip i found the tyres wearing unevenly so i pulled into a a tyre place and rotated then around.
While doing that i noticed the wheel bearings were very loose so while the wheels were off i adjusted them.
after doing the adjustment the wheel got hot on the front passenger side and when we slowed down that wheel would make a binding noise.
so i backed off the bearing adjustment but it was still making the noise.
when we got home i replaced that bearing and adjusted all of the brakes correctly.
I took the van out last weekend and the noise was still there but on the 2 passenger side wheels and both were hot,
i then readjusted so the bearing not so loose and the rear one was cool but the front wheel it still getting hot
Looking for any answers Regards Pete

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
what type of grease was used to pack the bearings?

I have used for years
molybdenum disulphide lithium base grease for wheel bearings

with some greases that you can buy from some shops, your better off with Vaseline instead................................................

Reactions: KECL and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
When you packed the new bearing or old bearings plenty of grease needs to squeeze out, I put a big blob in my hand and roll the bearing around in my palm till the grease pushes out, a thin layer over the axle and put a layer of grease inside the hub, not packed just a good wipe to help dispell water, fit them to the hub tighten up the nut till the wheel can just turn, spin it quite a few times, the more the better so it all beds in, then tighten to very firm then back off to where the wheel will spin freely but still have a small bit of drag without any knock when you grab it at 12 & 6, turn wheel 180 and do knock test again, you can then readjust brakes ..........ideally if you can go for a run around the block then check again for knock all should be good.............a brand name High Temp bearing grease should be used.
Best to try and stop without using brakes much when checking for temps then you know its a bearing and not a dragging brakes shoe....

I check my wheels every 5000km for bearing and brake adjust when on the road, and after/ before each trip with regular tyre kicking each day on road..........a pain to do sometimes but mostly keeps surprises at bay.

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
If electric brakes - sometimes the brake pad does not return from the drum face after brakes applied (weak spring or brake arm is sticking). - jack the wheel up and check if the wheel is making a scrapping/binding noise after brakes are applied and released.

Janeymck

May 19, 2017
Sunbury
Hi all thank you for your replies, I have repacked all of the bearings with the same high temperature bearing grease and i have adjusted the bearings to what i believe is correct ( Rotate wheel and tighten nut then loosen off then tighten to next lock position but on the loose side to allow for heat expansion )
i will back the brakes off the next time i go for a drive to see if this makes a difference as this will determine if its a bearing or brake problem thanks Pete