Interior Noisy water pump

Seanm5253

Dec 21, 2014
Hillarys Perth
Hi everyone
In Coral bay at the moment using the vans 3 water tanks as the water here is not drinkable from taps.Does everyone's 12v water pump (factory) sound like a 4 stroke mower or have I got a dud?
18.5 Jayco Expanda
Cheers Sean

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hi everyone
In Coral bay at the moment using the vans 3 water tanks as the water here is not drinkable from taps.Does everyone's 12v water pump (factory) sound like a 4 stroke mower or have I got a dud?
18.5 Jayco Expanda
Cheers Sean

Ours is not too bad, but a mate of mine has a Swan that I can hear 100m away when they are using it. More like a diesel engine than a 2 stroke.

All depends how and where they are mounted as to how much amplification of noise they have.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Ours isn't overly quiet at all, but it's liveable. (Night time is a different story though. Sounds really loud then)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Mine was originally in a cupboard and was noisy, then I moved it (see my page) but was still a bit noisy, then I found it was sucking air from the tank selector valve, once I had fixed that it is just a slight rumble.
So hook a hose up to your draw bar then stick it into a tank fill inlet and turn tap on, lay under van and look at the line going to your pump, check for aeration, change tanks if you see bubbles in the line, it may only be slight, then follow the line back till you find no aeration, more than likely the switch valve if you do have bubbles.
Before you do look for bubbles, check the plumbing around the pump if any of it is touching the floor, wall ??? or where it goes thru the floor is a plastic grommet then that could be the source of your noise as the pipes will be drumming against the van body, insulate where the pipes touch and remove the plastic grommet and seal with silastic or softer material.
Ideally the lines to and from the pump should be flexible hose for a foot so the vibration isn't transmitted.
So there you go, hope that helps.

Last edited:

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
the sound changed on mine very dull not the same as it was in for service now there looking at it

Doug

Jun 3, 2015
Leeming / Perth
I've looked at my pump setup on the 16.49-3 2008 model and noted hard tubing coming out of pump straight into a 90 deg bend. This will amplify any hammering affect created by the pump. Thinking of adding some flexible tubing in a c shape coming out of the pump as mine is also quite noisy. Will let you know of the outcome later in the month when I can get time to get it sorted.

Reactions: Smirke