18' Series No heavey objets in cupboards above dinning table

Constable Clan

Oct 5, 2013
muswellbrook
Just a word of advice on our last trip away I had placed our daughters hard plastic pencil case in a cupboard above our dinning table. When we stopped for a break , I noticed that the cupboard was open and the pencil case & books had fallen out. It was not until later that day when setting up, I had noticed that our dinning table had a nice whole / crack in it. I made an enquiry on the cost of replacing our Dinning table and I almost fell over around the $380.00 so we have putted the whole up for now.

Reactions: Smirke

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We had the same issue in our 2009 16.49. Long overheads with multiple doors don't have any bottom shelf support over the length of the units. The universal corner brackets Jayco use are not designed for the loads that can be put in those overhead cabinets, especially without glue and/or screws. Weighty contents bow the cabinet bottoms enough for the striker plates to drop lower than the catch bolts, and moving contents open the doors. After finding our cabinet contents strewn about the van, my partner copped a bit of a spray for not checking all the doors were locked ........... twice.

Shhhhhhhhh, I never told her it wasn't her fault. The fallout would be catastrophic after the performance I put on.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I forbid my Boss from putting anything heavy in those cupboards.....
too much weight up high sort of thing - like to keep it as low as possible
so we have medicines only above the Table - within easy reach
the Daughters books and stickers and colouring gear is kept in the draw under her seat........

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I think the heaviest items we have above waist height are the clothes on the shelves in the cupboard / wardrobe
everything else is at floor height - water, food, shoes & Jackets apart from Fridge & Micro

just a trial and error thing to find the best spot for items......