17' Series No Aerial Receiption for TV

Gibbo1

May 26, 2019
Perth
First post here so hoping someone might have so ideas regarding the issue I have. Have found it very useful in the past.
Just installed a TV into our second hand pop top van (which I'm still figuring out) . It already had a wind up aerial and three aerial sockets (one next to door LHS, on outside and one where the booster switch is next to fridge) but for the life of me I can't get any reception. Tried TV in two of the sockets but same issue. TV just comes up dark reading no data. Aerial is extended and tried rotating it to see if could pick up any reception was to no avail. Checked the TV as new by plugging inside to house aerial and worked but no luck in the van. Have browsed this forum for solutions and tried the following:

Checked that the amplifier/booster light is on which it is. Currently in the Perth suburbs so no issue being too far away from a transponder.

Tried using the TV with out any of the interior LED lights being on as believe they can cause issues. No luck with this option.

Traced the aerial cable as best I could but every thing seems to be heading back behind the fridge where I suspect there is aerial junction of some sort.

Any suggestions most welcome

Dean81

Nov 18, 2012
Brisvegas, Qld
www.ausplay.net.au
The aerial cable from the back of the tv to coax point is not damaged or missing any pins?

have you tried to tune the channels in on the tv manually or automatically? I know we have to automatically tune from site to site to get reception.

just clutching at straws, not sure if this will help or not? Good luck anyway

carco

Jan 20, 2019
Gympie
I gave up trying with ours, bought a set top box in desperation and when that had no effect I called it quits.
The kids borrowed the van, found that the TV outlet near the bunks had a switch?? on it and they got it going in nothing flat.

Reactions: Bluey

Gibbo1

May 26, 2019
Perth
That sounds like the amplifier/booster switch. Did check that was on.

New aerial cable from TV to pin.Have already checked it on inside TV where worked so don't thinks that's issue.

Tried tuning automatically and once manually to no avail.

Wondering if the chip on the cable might indicate that previous owners used a Satellite dish as believe they lived out in Goldfields so probably crap to no TV reception out there.
Cheers for suggestions

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Assuming you have a flat bar Winegard aerial, the TV does display that its working and its source/input is DTV and the TV booster switch is showing Green.
Also your house TV aerial is mounted with the bars horizontal if its mounted with the bars vertical then that could be the problem.

If the TV doesn't work once pre tuned from house system and using a known good jumper cable from the main TV socket on the booster panel in van then I would say the aerial may be the problem, remove the panel disconnect the 2 leads for the outside sockets leaving the aerial input this should eliminate any faults in those leads, if it still doesn't work then it probably is the aerial, check its connectors, if possible run a continuity check on the cable to be sure no breaks.....it has a small circuit board inside it may be stuffed.....

Show us a pic of this chip thing.................. if it once had sat connected it shouldn't have been piggy backed onto the circuit.

Heydon

Mar 2, 2018
Warrnambool
Our 2017 did this, wingaurd antenna.
Eventually discovered that the points where the wires screw on to the antenna had worked loose but hadn’t come off. Tightened them up and has been good since.

Gibbo1

May 26, 2019
Perth
Put van in for service repair last week, they identified three issues with aerial, three way joiner stuffed behind fridge, wiring into joiner needed fixing and one of the internal aerial lines had a fault. Now working and minis a few dollars but figured wasn't going to be an easy fix without right diagnostic tools and experience. Thanks for all comments.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
There you go, thanks for getting back to us with your update, always appreciated.