Nissan Xtrail or Renault Koleos as a towing option ?

Dec 23, 2011
Adelaide
Is anyone currently using either a Nissan Xtrail 2.5 lt petrol with a CVT transmission, or the Renault Koleos 2.5lt petrol with a CVT transmission as a tow vehicle. The Xtrail and the Renault use the same engine transmission etc. I am looking at replacing my tow vehicle and would like to hear from anyone using either of these. My concrens are around the issue of not using a WDH (Nissan recommend you do not use one) and the vairied towball down load weights (dependent on the load you place in the vehicle. thanks

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
cant help with the X-trail tranmission question but Nissan say not to use a WDH to cover there own arse, as when the first R51 Pathfinder came out 2005 they had issues with the "Nissan" Towbars shearing off, this was found to be the use of wrong bolts, most people just fitted Hayman Reece towbars and use the WDH as normal, you still have to follow the normal weight guidelines of coarse.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I guess it also comes down to which van you intend to tow with it.
It would probably be OK with one of the 14' series but I imagine it would start to struggle with a loaded 16' and of course it would be right on, just over or well over its' limit with a 17',
depending on options.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Just had a look here http://www.carbuddy.com.au/car/values/specification/default.aspx these guys have a great range of specs for vehicles don't know if either of the ones you are considering are listed but your post made me research whether the Missus's 2006 Xtrail would be capable of towing our eagerly anticipated 16:49:3, and the towing capacity is 2000kgs so thats a goer but the Ball weight is 150kgs which may take a bit of creative packing but it's possible too. Oh and did I mention I'M PICKING UP THE EXPANDA TOMORROW MORNING YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

D4Dazz

Dec 31, 2011
Rowville, VIC
My folks have the current Xtrail Deisel 6spd Manual and tow a 14ft Jayco Starcraft with no issues at all. The man does not use WDH or level rides and it seems to tow fine. It could do with some slightly stiffer springs in the rear but apart from that there is no issue. he only has to modify his driving alttle when its wet as the added weight on the rear independant suspension can sometimes leav him spinning the front wheeels at take off. He just puts it auto mode and away he goes. They followed my around the Flinders for 2 weeks last year with no issues what so ever.

Cheers
Dazz

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
My inlaws tow with a XTrail also. Diesel though and it is a small coromal and have towed with that up and down the eastern seaboard numerous times. I don't think it would go as well with a bigger van though.

Jenko67

Feb 6, 2012
Brisbane
A bit late on this but I had a Ti 2008 Auto Xtrail.... great car for comfort and touring but hated it for towing... over rated and we only towed a coromal camper at the time.. got rid of it last year and bought a Pajero..... what a difference... I would suggest to find a dealer that has a towbar and give it a go....

mitapage

May 8, 2012
North of Sydney
Trail manual diesel has sufficient grunt to tow a 16.49-1 Ok, however a slightly heavier car would be better for longer trips - ideally with a full chassis for towbar attachment