Nissan did the right thing

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Over Christmas we went to Corryong with my parents and the in laws.
The in laws have a small Coromal caravan towed by a diesel x-trail. They have towed that van with the x-trail all over Australia.
When they left Corryong for home (Elsternwick) they noticed a tapping noise coming from the car. It quickly became quite loud that they had to pull over and call RACV. This happened well before even getting close to Wodonga. So a good 4 hours from home. RACV took one look at it and said no good, we will tow you home. So the RACV guy loaded the car onto the truck, hitched the van onto the back and off they went back to Melbourne in the RACV truck. The RACV guy dropped the van off at Elsternwick, then dropped the car off at Nissan, then dropped my father in law back at home and he then set off back to Albury.
RACV roadside assist cost well and truly covered by that one event!!

Nissan called the next day and said engine was stuffed. Broken conrod, causing damage to piston etc etc and Nissan had never seen anything like it. Cost to fix was $15,000 for a new engine or $9,000 for an engine they had access to with 30,000km on the clock. Not good news for a couple of pensioners in their 70s.

The Nissan dealership said that they wanted to discuss what had happened with Nissan head office. As what had broken was never supposed to occur even with the caravan in tow. Over the next couple of weeks discussions occurred between head office and the dealership. Nissan head office agreed and offered to take up the cost of replacing the engine less the labour and lubricants to refit. So still a couple of grand in cost but a lot better than the original scare.

Oh yeah, they were 2 years outside of their warranty also.
So I lift my cap to Nissan on this one. A very nice outcome indeed.

Paul

Jun 10, 2013
Ipswich
Holy crap!
My Nissan had a delay in the transmission when new. I took it to them and some snot nose clown told me it was the drive shaft taking up the slack in the diff.
Once I explained if their was that much back lash between the crown wheel and pinion the dam thing wouldn't drive at all!
As we were driving back to the dealership and the colour drained from his face as his bull don't be rude story was busted he then said ' I don't know what it is'

Nice to hear a good story for a change other than incompetent gooses spinning you a line. They must think they are the only people with mechanical knowledge.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Over Christmas we went to Corryong with my parents and the in laws.
The in laws have a small Coromal caravan towed by a diesel x-trail. They have towed that van with the x-trail all over Australia.
When they left Corryong for home (Elsternwick) they noticed a tapping noise coming from the car. It quickly became quite loud that they had to pull over and call RACV. This happened well before even getting close to Wodonga. So a good 4 hours from home. RACV took one look at it and said no good, we will tow you home. So the RACV guy loaded the car onto the truck, hitched the van onto the back and off they went back to Melbourne in the RACV truck. The RACV guy dropped the van off at Elsternwick, then dropped the car off at Nissan, then dropped my father in law back at home and he then set off back to Albury.
RACV roadside assist cost well and truly covered by that one event!!

Nissan called the next day and said engine was stuffed. Broken conrod, causing damage to piston etc etc and Nissan had never seen anything like it. Cost to fix was $15,000 for a new engine or $9,000 for an engine they had access to with 30,000km on the clock. Not good news for a couple of pensioners in their 70s.

The Nissan dealership said that they wanted to discuss what had happened with Nissan head office. As what had broken was never supposed to occur even with the caravan in tow. Over the next couple of weeks discussions occurred between head office and the dealership. Nissan head office agreed and offered to take up the cost of replacing the engine less the labour and lubricants to refit. So still a couple of grand in cost but a lot better than the original scare.

Oh yeah, they were 2 years outside of their warranty also.
So I lift my cap to Nissan on this one. A very nice outcome indeed.

Excellent outcome from Nissan!

So did they get the new engine or the second hand one (presuming the new one)?