Next on the shopping list for our bt-50

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
I was speaking with a client today who told me their 8 month old bt-50 is in for a new engine *shock* .... Any way, he tells me that he drove through water about 20cm deep (in all the recent rain) and somehow managed to get water in the air intake and through the engine. Since the wadding depth for the vehicle is 80cm I assume he was either driving really fast through the water or it was a lot deeper than he's saying. So before the new wheels the snorkel will go on. He's hoping his insurance will cover him otherwise it will be a $16k mistake!

Millsy

Nov 29, 2012
Melbourne
Hhmmm, something doesn't add up there me thinks. 20cm of water would barely be getting the tyres wet. If BTs were drowning in 20cm of water, surely we would have heard about it by now?
Having said that, the snorkel is a good idea. Which one are you going for, factory, Safari or Airtec?

Cheers
Shane

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
I've waided through 60cm's of water with our Rav4 with no Problems -

So you can be sure there's much more to this story - My bet is the water was probably just a tad deeper than 20cm's (say 40) and this persons was proably driving through it at speed like a chop trying to be a comedian to his\her mates - forcing the water into the airbox, flooding it and then sending the water into the engine - - You got to flood the air box first and that can take up up 3 litres of water...

Who's the comedian now???

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
If BTs were drowning in 20cm of water, surely we would have heard about it by now?

As much as I agree.....there does always have to be one to start the ball rolling. Maybe the stories will start now.

(probably not tho.....20cm is just a pot hole)

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
I know the road where it happened. We use to live that way... In all honesty, based on the amount of rain we had if would have been deeper than that and probably 100-150m across. But it is a wake up call to be careful.

Shane we really haven't thought too much about which snorkel yet. Does Barry have one?

Millsy

Nov 29, 2012
Melbourne
Shane we really haven't thought too much about which snorkel yet. Does Barry have one?

Yeah, Barry has the factory Mazda jobbie, very happy with it. The TJM Airtec looks very similar, however it doesn't follow the guard crease as nicely (imo). Have yet to see a Safari one in the flesh.

You will pay more for the factory fitted one, just don't pay their full retail, they have plenty of room to move on $$.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
It does sound a bit strange if it was 20cm deep. If it was a mechanical error with the airbox fitment which would be warranty, either way it does seem very odd to me too.

Here is a couple of text book crossings in a Ranger and BT
BT50 Mazda Snorkle, probably entered the water a bit quick but looked very soft when exiting.
[video=youtube;p4aGi2j-5Vc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4aGi2j-5Vc[/video]
Listen to the bit about the one way valve too.
[video=youtube;qHJI_10suFQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHJI_10suFQ[/video]

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Andrea go the factory job, that add cruza put up tells it all, increased wading depth, Mazda backed warranty. Why would you want anything else? I have heard enough issues with Safari snorkels now on Pajero NT's and LC 200's to doubt a Safari snorkel (yeah yeah I know dons flame suit) and the Airtech does not allow a precleaner like OEM or Safari will and if you ever do a dusty inland trip the precleaners are Gold IMO.

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Thanks all, I think we will go for the Mazda snorkel. All the other extras on it are mazda other than the spray on rhino liner. In the past a snorkel has always been the first thing on the cars but other than our expanda visit to LCMP (in the Patrol) we haven't used 4WD for a good 2-3 years....

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
Good videos Cruza, I notice the Mazda snorkel is not attached to the A pillar like others. It seemed to be flopping about alot, not sure how that would go after some corrugated roads etc. I wonder if the Safari & Airtec options have the same mounting?

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Good videos Cruza, I notice the Mazda snorkel is not attached to the A pillar like others. It seemed to be flopping about alot, not sure how that would go after some corrugated roads etc. I wonder if the Safari & Airtec options have the same mounting?

I bet you would have been good at the spot the difference Drewy how did you notice that :noidea: :smile:

That must have been thrown in for the demo as they are all mounted to the ''A'' pillar like all the other snorkle brands. Its odd they let that one through for a promo vid as its something that should be spot on you would think.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
I was speaking with a client today who told me their 8 month old bt-50 is in for a new engine *shock* .... Any way, he tells me that he drove through water about 20cm deep (in all the recent rain) and somehow managed to get water in the air intake and through the engine. Since the wadding depth for the vehicle is 80cm I assume he was either driving really fast through the water or it was a lot deeper than he's saying. So before the new wheels the snorkel will go on. He's hoping his insurance will cover him otherwise it will be a $16k mistake!
I has heard a similar story from the Ford dealer where I got my Ranger. I dismissed it, as the dealer did, to a stretched story. Perhaps there is more to it.