Newbie to Jayco Expanda 17.56-1

Harv n Bron

Jul 9, 2012
Hello T-within. I loved this bit of buying the van, what in and what's not. I was a bit restricted by height and weight. My list of inclusions (and their itemised prices were)
Roll out awning - $1400
Privacy screens (2) - 460
Side mounted heron ac - 1700
Upgrade fridge to 150ltr - 893
Cd radio and outside speakers - 302
Gas bayonet -103
Caravan mover - 2131
Battery -400
External shower and hot water system -1443
Solar wiring - 206
Annex - 2500
Tv with DVD - 400
Drop jacks -180
Starter kit -200.

I watched the salesperson get these prices from the Jayco book he had. When negotiating on price I Dealt with three dealers, including one next to he factory. The difference in pricing was significant enough for me to go to Melbourne to get the van and still save a couple of k on the local bloke and about 10 on the other bloke I had a couple of conversations with.

I would now get he outside table, and there is a thread on here where someone has two. Good luck the discussions.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Brad, is yours the highway version too? have you gone for the underslung axles? thinking this might be a good option just to take out any chance of bottoming out. The only thing I am worried about would be if it affects the on road ride at all.

Mine is the outback version with simplicity suspension. I haven't gone under slung and to be honest the van sits unbelievably high already. With the simplicity suspension the van tows like a dream.

Oct 13, 2012
Thanks again everyone for all the feedback.

Van has now been ordered 17.56-1 (just waiting confirmation) delivery 13 Dec this year so a timely Christmas present. Extras we ended up including were:
- underslung axles
- larger 150lt fridge
- air con (standard from Jayco Ballarat)
- Gas bayonet to the front of the van
- full annex
- verandah to the annex (6ft)
- shelves to the front cupboard next to the fridge
- privacy screens
- wind up antenna
- 1 x picnic table
- also picked up HR WDH

Hopefully we havent missed anything out that we will regret down the track. decided against the battery and solar as we won't leave the black top. Anyone have any thoughts on anythin we may have missed that could be another handy inclusion? Also, what are everyones thoughts on the underaxle on a tandem van? there seem to be mixed responses across the forum but I think the extra clearance will be handy. Cheers

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Thanks again everyone for all the feedback.

Van has now been ordered 17.56-1 (just waiting confirmation) delivery 13 Dec this year so a timely Christmas present. Extras we ended up including were:
- underslung axles
- larger 150lt fridge
- air con (standard from Jayco Ballarat)
- Gas bayonet to the front of the van
- full annex
- verandah to the annex (6ft)
- shelves to the front cupboard next to the fridge
- privacy screens
- wind up antenna
- 1 x picnic table
- also picked up HR WDH

Hopefully we havent missed anything out that we will regret down the track. decided against the battery and solar as we won't leave the black top. Anyone have any thoughts on anythin we may have missed that could be another handy inclusion? Also, what are everyones thoughts on the underaxle on a tandem van? there seem to be mixed responses across the forum but I think the extra clearance will be handy. Cheers

Sounds a good set-up. Would have gone for the solar connection at least as would simplify fitting panels later.
My twin axle is booked in for under slinging on 21 Nov. No issues at all.
At Prestige Jayco the other day and noticed a range of the new OB's with twin axles were all underslung.
Clearance is important for me. I think the axle over spring is to keep height down and provide tow levels for modern sedans which have trended lower over the years.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I would have still gone with the battery even without solar, like mentioned in another post, never know when the power will go off at the park, or you get the sudden urge to free camp even if only over night while way. hot water is a plus with or without the shower.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I reckon that hot water is essential. Does that model have it? We also have the outdoor shower and it is so handy. Not just as a shower but good for rinsing things, and its great to have hot water to wash BBQ, big pots etc

Where2nxt

Oct 6, 2012
Western Australia
If your not leaving the black top. Why the underslung axle, agree with Bushman. A battery for back up is handy. But it looks like your going to have a great van to enjoy. Well done

Oct 13, 2012
still not too much of a need for a battery IMO. Sure we might lose power in a park one day and think it may have been a good idea but have been camping 10 years in various parks and have not lost power yet.
Decided to go with the underslung axle just for clearance really, driveways and mainly those spoon cobbled driveways and drains around Ballarat that have claimed many a victim over the years.
Has anyone had any experience with the standard highway van and the clearance?

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
As some have already mentioned, I would also try and squeeze in the battery, HWS and possibly the external shower.
The battery gives you so many options even if you don't intend going off road. You may be travelling and see of have been told of a great quiet free camp along the way and decide to stop, even for a night.
A battery will allow you to at least have lights.

A HWS saves the hassle of boiling kettles for dishes etc and connected in with the external shower will allow rinse off's before traipsing mud, sand etc through the van after a big day out exploring.
Plus the resale factor..
My 2c worth.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
still not too much of a need for a battery IMO. Sure we might lose power in a park one day and think it may have been a good idea but have been camping 10 years in various parks and have not lost power yet.
Decided to go with the underslung axle just for clearance really, driveways and mainly those spoon cobbled driveways and drains around Ballarat that have claimed many a victim over the years.
Has anyone had any experience with the standard highway van and the clearance?
I think the extra height clearance cannot hurt. My first expanda was non OB and there were times I dragged mainly that low hanging tyre well. This may just be enough to stop that.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
I think the extra height clearance cannot hurt. My first expanda was non OB and there were times I dragged mainly that low hanging tyre well. This may just be enough to stop that.
Moved the spare to the top of the A frame for the same reason. Pics in my album.